Re: 4G not that fast / slow service in New York City
Not applicable

tcarlisle wrote:

Here is my advice to Verizon -- if you are selling a service and want to be profitable, and you can only pick ONE place on the planet where you can invest to make that service reliable..... that ONE place has to be Manhattan, and especially lower Manhattan in the financial district.

Well don't you think you're special? Guess what Verizon DOESN'T have to pick one place to have service and that's the point. You'll get your improvements shortly. You have MILLIONS of people in a small area and you winder why there is issues?

0 Likes
milan03

Excuse me? Is that how you'd respond to paying customers? Good thing you're not in charge of Verizon's PR...

0 Likes
Not applicable

I'm just a Verizon customer myself. So I'm not sure what your point is. I would certainly hope you pay your bill.

0 Likes
tcarlisle

I really didn't mean to ruffle feahters, and can see how my statement could come off rather arrogant. For my forceful wording, I do apologize.

I find it frustrating that other customers give Verizon an easy out by insisting it is unrealistic to expect service to be reliable with such dense population. Being an IT professional myself, and in particular one with experience with service management -- including capacity -- I find it really hard to swallow that a brand new technology has a capacity ceiling that NYC exceeds. What might be going on is that Verizon hasn't been able to fund the infrastructure to support the capacity. But if that is the case then it was Verizon's job to manage the capacity by limiting subscription, throttling transfer rates, etc. to bring all customers a reasonable user experience for the money paid.

I personally find the user experience to be mostly unusable in the lower Manhattan area. I am not talking abotu not being able to get 4G throughput -- I am talking about no throughput at all. Signal locked on, diagnostics say connected on LTE, but nothing is moving.

I find that on days with clearer weather it is better. To me this indicates they don't have enough radio coverage, and towers are too few and too far between. 

And if I manually configure my device to 3G only and ignore LTE altogether, that works. So again, if the revert back to 3G worked, it wouldn't be that big of a deal.

I don't know enough about Verizon's infrastructure to say what will fix this. But I am saying as a paying customer of this service since 2010, I find it unacceptable, and it should be a priority to fix it. Interestingly, if I walk across town to the east side where the Verizon store is on Water street, it works.

I fought with Verizon on this back in 2010/2011 and finally gave up and accepted it is what it is. I never would imagine in 2013 it would still be the same.

My own home area did not have 4G coverage in 2010, and now it does. While this makes my own situation better -- I at least can use my devices in my local area without frustration -- it also shows Verizon is continually investing to expand LTE coverage, which has to cost money. Why they wouldn't put some of that into getting Manhattan right is my question.

0 Likes
Not applicable

tcarlisle wrote:

I really didn't mean to ruffle feahters, and can see how my statement could come off rather arrogant. For my forceful wording, I do apologize.

I find it frustrating that other customers give Verizon an easy out by insisting it is unrealistic to expect service to be reliable with such dense population. Being an IT professional myself, and in particular one with experience with service management -- including capacity -- I find it really hard to swallow that a brand new technology has a capacity ceiling that NYC exceeds. What might be going on is that Verizon hasn't been able to fund the infrastructure to support the capacity. But if that is the case then it was Verizon's job to manage the capacity by limiting subscription, throttling transfer rates, etc. to bring all customers a reasonable user experience for the money paid.

Verizon funds it just fine.

First Verizon isn't even done with the initial 4G rollout. There may be tower that aren't 4G yet in New York.

Second, a cell tower has 3 sectors. I'm sure you know that. With LTE each sector can handle a MAX of 150 Mbps for ALL users. How many users per sector do you think each tower has in NYC? If you have 500 people all trying to use data at the same time in a sector guess what it's not going to be very fast.

Third later this year Verizon will be rolling out 4G over AWS spectrum 1700/2100 MHz. That should eventually help. Of course you need devices that can actually use that spectrum.

Of course spectrum Verizon gets from the OTA auctions and the refarming of 3G and 1X spectrum will help as well as upgrading to LTE Advanced and the deployment of femotcells in high congestion areas as well as MIMO technology should all help. This of course will take time.

0 Likes
mc_365
Enthusiast - Level 2

I work in the same Rockefller Center area and noticed in April 2012 it slowed down to the point I get frequent "Connection Lost" messages.  I called VZW more than a few times and they asked "Do you work in a building made of brick, steel, or glass" they explained that the signal has difficulty penetrating these materials. My response was what buildings in NYC are not made of one of those 3 materials? And why did this suddenly start to happen? Now I hardly get dial up speeds while at work during peak hours.  Being force to have a data plan but cant use it!

0 Likes
mc_365
Enthusiast - Level 2

I have similar experience in mid town Rockefeller Center area.

I am connected to 4G but my apps or my browser can not update or can not find the server etc.

This really became a problem around April 2012. Before that I used to tease my co-workers that they had to buffer YouTube, and couldn't use Pandora, now I'm in the same boat.  The service sucks, and I'm being extorted to fulfill a 2 year agreement.

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

mc_365, it's our goal to keep you connected! We're sad to hear that you're staying connected to data on your device. Wireless service can be tricky indoors since the building structure can blocks the signal. As a result, when you're not getting good reception at your home, its due to these limitations  that are sometimes referred to as “dead zones,” “coverage holes,” “dead spots” or “obstructed areas.” Which device do you have? Have you tried powered your device off/on to soft reset it? Meanwhile, let's take a closer look at the coverage area http://vz.to/13N0B6O

LasinaH_VZW
VZW Support
Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport

0 Likes
VZWNY
Enthusiast - Level 3

Have you read the whole thread?  Or how about this one?  https://community.verizonwireless.com/thread/801799
This isn't just mc_365, nor is it just one device, nor is it just indoors.  This is a perfect example of what I highlighted here >> https://community.verizonwireless.com/message/993787#993787 on Sept 4.

0 Likes
Gutterstink

Just got myself on Moto x on verizon on labour day weeekend. i was so excited using it in Connecticut and Jersey and today when i went into NYC for my new job ,i just was not able to connect to internet the entire day and i badly had to reply to couple of mails which i missed out . wth ????? i think my Virgin mobile was way better than this.. Is this how the network is in NYC ? i m still in the 14 day return period. was wondering if i should return this and move over to ATT .

Please advise !!

0 Likes