4G and VZW Network Optimization
budone
Legend

I have a question for the VZW reps on here (don't go hiding from me now, I know where to find you!!!!) There has been a discussion on here from a user of a 4G phone that he thinks he is being 'Throttled' for using too much data. Myself and others have explained the Network Optimization program VZW has is for 3G devices on an unlimited plan only.

From the document:

Will I be affected by Network Optimization?

Only a small percent of customers will be affected.  To be affected, you must be:

• A data customer on an unlimited data plan;
  • Have a 3G Verizon Wireless device (if you have a 4G LTE device you will not be impacted); and
  • Among the top 5% of data users in a given month.

Then today I go to the 4G coverage map page http://network4g.verizonwireless.com/#/4g-network-verizon-wireless   and it states there:

Speeds may be reduced for top 5% of users for up to 60 days when in congested network areas.

So, which is it?

Does the Network Optimization page need to be updated and notice given to 4G users

Labels (1)
0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: 4G and VZW Network Optimization
Ann154
Community Leader
Community Leader

Verizon also did put in their network optimization policy that they reserve the right to reduce the 4G LTE speed later

http://m-support.verizonwireless.com/information/data_disclosure.html

"Does Network Optimization apply to customers using 4G services?No. We reserve the right to include 4G LTE users later, but right now this only applies to the top 5% of users with unlimited data plans using 3G devices. If you have a 4G LTE device you will not be affected at this time."

I'm most definitely NOT a VZW employee. If a post answered your question, please mark it as the answer.

View solution in original post

0 Likes
Wildman
Legend

Hmmm, looks like a good question...  Maybe there could be something in the wording..

0 Likes
Tidbits
Legend

They say "may". It is one of those just in case things they have in place when they need it for the benefit of their customers in highly congested areas where the top 5% suck up the most bandwidth.

Ann154
Community Leader
Community Leader

Verizon also did put in their network optimization policy that they reserve the right to reduce the 4G LTE speed later

http://m-support.verizonwireless.com/information/data_disclosure.html

"Does Network Optimization apply to customers using 4G services?No. We reserve the right to include 4G LTE users later, but right now this only applies to the top 5% of users with unlimited data plans using 3G devices. If you have a 4G LTE device you will not be affected at this time."

I'm most definitely NOT a VZW employee. If a post answered your question, please mark it as the answer.

0 Likes
budone
Legend

Good find Ann154. That was not in the original policy!

0 Likes
Ann154
Community Leader
Community Leader

The sad part is I have it bookmarked in my phone's browser. 😞

0 Likes
wildroid

Hi everyone, I see I sparked some interest with my original post on the VERIZON WIRELESS SERVICES forum. So they reserve the right to throttle you for 60 days, that's harsh. I don't agree with throttling at all but they are gonna do it anyways right. Just give the big penalties to the data hogs who are tethering devices without paying for the privilege. My point being don't harshly punish those that get 4G for the first time and rack up 15 to 20gigs of data in the first month give them a warning instead and if they continue then throttle their data. Though, there are those that have unlimited data/tethering plans that use alot of data and would technically fall under what I suggest above. I don't wish for them to be hurt by what I just suggested cuz they're paying customers but Verizon knows who has tethering on their plan and who doesn't go after those people don't. Here's a valid question. Why throttle only unlimited data users? There must be some deep pocketed or just crazy tiered data customers that rack up tons of data usage. Are those offenders also being throttled or are they just letting them pile on the data so they can pile on the charges. I ask this because they don't include tiered data customers that might fall under the same criteria in their policy. If you're on tiered data and you happen to be taking up too much bandwidth you should be throttled as well. Verizon says too much bandwidth use will equal you being throttled. So, tiered data users that are using too much bandwidth should get the same treatment, point blank. It's only fair.

0 Likes
wildroid

Hey budone, I'm glad you looked into this further. I just went to the 4G map page and read the last line on the bottom of the page and you're right it does say they'll throttle the top 5% for up to 60 days but right under it it says: **NOT A MAJOR MARKET. If that's the case then I'm assuming that since I'm in southern new jersey and only 10 mins from Philly that I'm within a major market. Are they saying that customers in major markets aren't affected by this policy then?

0 Likes
Tidbits
Legend

Answer the people who are on a tiered data plan are paying for the bandwidth. Carriers pay for bandwidth just as much as we do. At some point carriers will have to pay more than they make by offering the service. Unlimited data is dying out because they were over selling the bandwidth. Sprint will move away shortly and are on record for it.

As an example let's assume(not real figures) it costs Verizon $.001 per megabyte up to 200gb, and if they go over they end up paying $.004 per mb. They have 100 customers with unlimited data. For every Gig of bandwidth = $1. At 2Gb per customer that's the break even point. If all those 100 customers use 2Gb then they are in the clear, but let's 5 customers use 40gb, and the bottom 40 use 500mb. Everyone inbetween uses 4-5gb. They will go over the threshold and spend more than they make. Who do you think will pay for it? Don't you think you would want those 5 people to pay up or would you rather all 100 customers pay up?

0 Likes
budone
Legend

Tidbits wrote:

Answer the people who are on a tiered data plan are paying for the bandwidth. Carriers pay for bandwidth just as much as we do. At some point carriers will have to pay more than they make by offering the service. Unlimited data is dying out because they were over selling the bandwidth. Sprint will move away shortly and are on record for it.

As an example let's assume(not real figures) it costs Verizon $.001 per megabyte  up to 200gb, and if they go over they end up paying $.004 per mb. They have 100 customers with unlimited data. For every Gig of bandwidth = $1. At 2Gb per customer that's the break even point. If all those 100 customers use 2Gb then they are in the clear, but let's 5 customers use 40gb, and the bottom 40 use 500mb. Everyone inbetween uses 4-5gb. They will go over the threshold and spend more than they make. Who do you think will pay for it? Don't you think you would want those 5 people to pay up or would you rather all 100 customers pay up?

Well, the carriers are not paying AS MUCH as we do. There would not be $5 BIllion in  revenue quarterly for VZW (Based on 3rd quarter 2010 conference call) just on data charges if that was the case.

In fact as LTE becomes the norm systems are completed, data costs will drop as they have dropped with 3G also. It is the nature of the data beast. Data itself is cheap, the buildout and continued maintenance and upgrades of the infrastructure is not. And VZW does have more than ample spectrum for when it is required.

0 Likes