4G and Fireall
sundance

I am a rank newbie to computers and Verizon.  Have used Iphone tethered for last 4 months and decided to go to Verizon when 4G was announced realizing 4G was in only a few large cities.  Since we spend perhaps 3-6 months in those cities per year we thought it would be a good switch from AT&T rather poor service in some of the outlying smaller communities.  After having mucho difficulty getting the Pantech UML 290 set up and activated, I spent hours with two seemingly knowledgeable technicians trying to figure out why I could not log on.  Finally after dealing with problem till 11:30 PM I went to bed.  Next morning I decided to turn off firewall and try to connect.  It connected immediately and was as fast as my old land line DSL.  Wow, was I ever impressed.  Unfortunately the high grade engineer with Verizon in New Jersey was not able to tell me how to connect with my Windows Firewall turned on.  I do have Verizon Access Manager program as exception to firewall along with portable wireless devices.  Nothing seems to help resolve how to keep connection when the firewall is on.  I use Windows 7 and the only ethernet connection I have is direct to my Brother printer which does not go through a router or switch.  Suggestions anyone please.  BTW the Verizon Engineer suggested I contact Microsoft to help as it relates to a firewall problem.  I have tried unsuccessfully to reach MS Engineer this weekend even in their premium support area. 

Labels (1)
0 Likes
Re: 4G and Fireall
kSo9204
Contributor - Level 2

Here is a link to information from Microsoft about the Windows 7 Firewall:

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows7/Firewall-frequently-asked-questions

You may need to change the settings in order to "allow a program to communicate through the firewall". There is also information listed advising that there could be conflicts between 2 firewalls as the broadband device would have a firewall setting of its own. 

0 Likes
Re: 4G and Fireall
sundance

Hey, thanks for the comeback.  I have spent many hours with tech support now.  With Verizon techies and level 1 and level 2 Microsoft folks I am worn out dealing with the firewall issue.  Currently I have to operate the 4G without windows firewall turned on.  You would think if the Pantech 290 also had a firewall running the Verizon or Microsoft folks would know about it or discover it.  I have no complaints about Verizon 4G except for this firewall issue.  It is very fast as compared to my AT&T Iphone tether.  I have just tried to find settings as you describe to set the Pantech to "not automatically connect" and the only place I can find is on IE Tools under Lan settings which I suspect is not where you think I can find it.  This automatic connect issue has just become a somewhat recent problem in last day or so.  I was in hopes it was related to the firewall issue.  Any suggestions you may have would be appreciated.   

0 Likes