4G Service for a Day
Cajun4G

Last week, Verizon turned on the 4G for a day in my area last week as a surprise to me when I noticed I had 4G service with out any notice or information that the area would be getting the service (Houma, Louisiana). I know it is not a simple process to turn on and turn off, hence the problems after the 4G went out I rolled all the way back to 1x service until it stablilzed Friday after noon with 3G restored. My only concern was that with the 4G on the data transfer speed was terrible. It looked as though Verizon was a little bit lacking on the Data Backhauls where the speed was not as fast as what I can normally do in New Orleans where I cruise at nearly 10-20 Mbps.

Another concern of my was that hopefully this was a test and that 4G is coming soon in the next 30-60 days.  If that is not the case then does Verizon follow Presidential Candidates as Newt Gingrich was in town and maybe he or they were providing 4G service for the media embeds.

Labels (1)
0 Likes
Re: 4G Service for a Day
Ann154
Community Leader
Community Leader

It might have been a test or something else.  No one knows on this user peer to peer forum.

I'm most definitely NOT a VZW employee. If a post answered your question, please mark it as the answer.

0 Likes
Cajun4G

We I am happy now. My phone is now staying locked on 4G at home in Cut Off, LA and where I work in Houma, LA. Still no word on Verizon's website that it is active in those areas.

But based on what I have seen Verizon may be waiting until the 15th before sending out a release or updating the maps for my area.

0 Likes
KEV815PAN
Contributor - Level 1

Welcome to the Club, be sure to let us know if you have any problems with it, currently my only Complaint with my 551L is that it Disconnects from the Internet a little to often on my Microsoft Windows XP Service Pack 3 Computer (Dell OEM), other than that it is smooth sailing. 🙂

0 Likes
B33
Legend

Good Deal Glad you got it:  Were i live here in Kansas it's still a a ways a way!  I can not Figure out for the Life of me why Verizon Went way out West to Dodge City, Garden City, Hays an Great Bend As we are so Close to Wichita witch has the 4G i guess it's kind of like when Wichita got it before Kansas City Did.. But i guess i'll tear   in my beer  an move on B33 

0 Likes
4G Service for a Day
Cajun4G

I can report that 4G is on in Houma/Bourg/Lockport/Larose/Golden Meadow area of Louisiana southwest of New Orleans. Unfortunately, Verizon left this area out in the April press release about added areas to 4G. Also the coverage maps do not show the new upgraded area to 4G.

I was able to do some traveling in the past few days. Other areas that still are on 3G are Morgan City which is further west the 4G drops around the Gibson area on US 90, and the city of Thibodaux where Nicholls State University is does not have 4G. I don't know about lower Terrebonne or lower Lafourche going down to the Cocodrie or Grand Isle/Fourchon area respectively. It would be nice to fish and surf at 4G speeds in the middle of the some of the best fishing areas in the world.

As far as my equipment, my biggest complaint with my Thunderbolt is in the fringes of the 4G area where it flips to 3G for data and takes a while to rejoin the either the 3G or 4G network. Webpages will not load or take for ever to load. Sometimes I even have to restart my phone just to get a data connection back. Of course on the road by then I am closer to a better tower site and signal. Also when I am home, I must be between cells because my phone will drop to 3G inside, but outside it goes back to 4G.

0 Likes