4G LTE Not accessible less than 30 miles away from tower?
Threll

I find this rather amusing that they sell these 4G modems where there is no 4G coverage.  I understand that it is also used as a 3G modem, but there are people out there that are not told that there is no 4G coverage in their area till after they have the product home.  Now I live less than 30 miles from O'Hair International Airport and the same distance from Downtown Chicago. Why is it that I could get a 3G signal 30 miles away from that node and not a 4G?  It's supposed to have a broader range and new technology, but it gets worse distance than anything else?  I just might have to go with sprint on this.  I am not going to wait up to 2 more years for a service that is already covered here by another company which has had nothing but great testimonials. And yes, most of those were from word of mouth by those whom I know.

Labels (1)
0 Likes
Re: 4G LTE Not accessible less than 30 miles away from tower?
steveanderson13
Contributor - Level 2

Threll wrote:

I find this rather amusing that they sell these 4G modems where there is no 4G coverage.  I understand that it is also used as a 3G modem, but there are people out there that are not told that there is no 4G coverage in their area till after they have the product home.  

At first I thought it was strange, too, until I thought more about it.  Do you realize that is all they have to sell?  And if you were Verizon, would you continue to stock 3g modems when the 4g modems 1) do more or will do more 2) cost the same 3) offer no drawbacks that I know of.  When analog service was discontinued, analog phones had been discontinued way before.  Why would anyone keep manufacturing devices for a previous technology?  So the current crop is dual mode, if you will.  Now is anyone being harmed?  They are not paying more or getting less than they could otherwise. If you need a wireless connection, that is provided by the network, not the modem.  Does the modem itself imply 4g coverage?  I don't think so.  Cell phones don't work everywhere.  Even on 3g, no one has the same service everywhere.  I have a 3g phone, but some places there is no 3g, only 1xrtt, so it is slower.  Then further afield, there may be no service at all.  The phone in my pocket does not imply I can make a calll.  It is wireless.  

Now I live less than 30 miles from O'Hair International Airport and the same distance from Downtown Chicago. Why is it that I could get a 3G signal 30 miles away from that node and not a 4G?  It's supposed to have a broader range and new technology, but it gets worse distance than anything else? 

You realize you do not have a 30 mi range?  The 4g build out may not be as dense as the present 3g, as a guess Your 3g service should not be worse than before; that does not mean your 4g should be better than before (which was none).  That will depend on your geography.  You have LTE coverage maps that may be helpful.  I think Verizon's website allows you to check  by zip code?  Here's a few links where some knowledgeable people discussed range:

http://www.wimax.com/wimax-technologies-standards/what-is-the-range-of-wimax

http://androidforums.com/htc-evo-4g/70017-4g-tower-range.html

I  just might have to go with sprint on this.  I am not going to wait up to 2 more years for a service that is already covered here by another company which has had nothing but great testimonials. And yes, most of those were from word of mouth by those whom I know.

If i have an existing service with a company and need something else; I go with them first and see if that works.  If it doesn't, I shop around.  If I have no no existing service, I shop around.  So it comes to the same.  Test 'em both; or test 'em all.  You're the customer.

0 Likes