4G LTE 'Coverage' is slow, 3G is faster - Everett, WA - How to Report?
AlfonsoTan

I've been getting horrible data coverage over a fairly large, open area in Everett, WA (~a 1 mile or so radius around 48 deg N, 122 deg W).  My phone (Galaxy SIII) will display 4G coverage, but doesn't have enough bandwidth to even complete a speed test.  It will switch between 3G and 1X at times, and have slightly better coverage, but still very poor.  This is over a large open area (indoor and outdoor), and actaully, a major business.  On Verizon's coverage map, it says this whole area is supposed to have 4G LTE coverage, but this has not proven to be true for myself and other people in this area.  I also experience the same issue in various other areas around metro Washington, but this area is the most prominent.  It's frustrating to the point that I've been considering breaking my contract and switching to another carrier.  How can something be done about this?  I've been satisfied with Verizon's coverage in the past, but lately have been let down.

Labels (1)
0 Likes
Re: 4G LTE 'Coverage' is slow, 3G is faster - Everett, WA - How to Report?
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

I definitely don't want to lose you AlfonsoTan! Let's look further into your area. What zip code are you located in? Did this just begin or has this been the case since you purchased the device? Does removing/inserting the sim card help? http://vz.to/13tF49s  Please share more details so I may further assist. Thank you.

TominqueBo_VZW
Please follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport

0 Likes
AlfonsoTan

At home, I'm at 98087, where service has gotten significantly worse over the last year.  I used to get download speeds of 15 mbps, and now average less than 3 mbps.  At work, in zip code 98204, data coverage is almost non-existent, even though it says I am receiving 4G LTE coverage, and I sit next to a window, at a major corporation.  The degraded speed at home is recent (as mentioned), but it has always been bad at work.  No, removing the sim card does not help.  Others that work around me with Verizon phones also report the same issues.

0 Likes
B33
Legend

You Might want to go to the Next Step and Get a New Card and you Might Test the Service outside the Area you said was Diminishing, Give that a Shot and it Might not hurt to Contact Customer Service an have them Check your Area an your PRL they can Push a new one out if you have an Old one.. b33

0 Likes
AlfonsoTan

I already got a new card.  I also got a new device just in case it was the phone, but like I said, others in my area experience the same issues.  I'll test outside my area, but I don't have any baselines for that so it wouldn't conclude much.  I've already contacted customer service as well, and they argue that there aren't any issues.  What's a PRL?  This is a HUGE area for such bad service.

0 Likes
Ann154
Community Leader
Community Leader

PRL = Preferred Roaming List. It controls which towers your phone talks to first before attempting to connect to another company's tower.

I'm most definitely NOT a VZW employee. If a post answered your question, please mark it as the answer.

0 Likes
Cripes
Enthusiast - Level 2

Long story short I'm having the same issue in a different zip code. Phone works fine pretty much anywhere until I get near my house and connect to the tower about 0.5 miles away. It's fast until about 8am and sporadic throughout the day. Then awful all afternoon and night until about 11pm. They're sending a new SIM card (yawn!) and did let me talk to a network guru. They just need to admit some towers are saturated. Any network engineer has the software and expertise to figure out when things are maxed out. When I realized I was having the issue I started speed testing in different locations of my city. At baseball games, fast, golfing, fast, early in the morning at home, fast, out of town, fast, same time each and every day near my home SLOOOOWWWW. I'm not a rocket scientist, but I'm noticing a trend here. Sad they don't have the software to see their towers are swamped. Or is it that they just pretend they don't know? Honesty is the best policy, in my opinion, at least then customers know where they stand and don't get frustrated. I'd rather get, "yes, a tower in that area is swamped during these hours and we will be upgrading within the next few months" rather than "oh, we know nothing of it!" And I shouldn't have to ask for the manager's, manager's, manager's, manager's, manager to get that info, either.

vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Alfonso,

Thank you for the information. We certainly don't want to see you go and want to find a solution to these issues. Has a ticket been filed on this issue? Is problem mostly indoors or everywhere? We want to check any possible causes. Please follow me @TonyG_VZWSupport and send a DM with # and billing password. We can then review area and options to make this better.

Thank you,

TonyG_VZW
Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport

0 Likes
AlfonsoTan

A ticket has not been filed.  The problem is both indoors and outdoors.  I don't have a Twitter account, if that's how you're supposed to be followed.  Is there any other way to do this?

0 Likes
Ann154
Community Leader
Community Leader

You are supposed to follow them in the community forum. Click on to go to their profile page for the forum. There is an option to follow them.

Can you please post the link to the Direct Message "how to" here? It is difficult to link the doc from the mobile site.

I'm most definitely NOT a VZW employee. If a post answered your question, please mark it as the answer.

0 Likes