4G Coverage in Puerto Rico?
LVCharlton

Hi,

My wife is currently in Puerto Rico and I've viewed the coverage map and she should have a 4G connection.

Instead she is connected to Claro PR and only get 3G service everywhere she has been not even the Capitol San Juan does she have 4G.

Is this typical?

Regards,

Lee

Additional Information: iPhone 7 Plus

Labels (1)
0 Likes
Re: 4G Coverage in Puerto Rico?
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

LVCharlton,

We appreciate you reaching out to us. We know how important it is to have great coverage when your wife is outside of the country. Even though she is in Puerto Rico, which counts as domestic usage, coverage cannot be guaranteed because she is still roaming on foreign networks. We're not going to give up though. Let's get her back in the fast lane. Is this only getting 3G issue happening everywhere she goes? Any other Verizon users with her having the same issue do you know? Are other services aside from data affected such as text and voice? What make/model phone is she using? 

JosephT_VZW
Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport
If my response answered your question please click the 'Correct Answer' button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!

0 Likes
Botanicalwarrior
Enthusiast - Level 1

I have called the global support number several times. Each time a new trick to bring back 3g or 4g for a while. Bottom line Verizon romaing in Puerto Rico is frustrating at best.

vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep
Botanicalwarrior, thank you for reaching out today  I know how important it is for your wife to have service while in Puerto Rico. Can you tell us more about the troubleshooting that has already been preformed?  What is the make and model of her phone  

Ralph_VZW
Follow us on TWITTER @VZWSupport
If my response answered your question please click the _Correct Answer_ button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!

0 Likes
wyldhawk9

I'll be in Puerto Rico this week and I'm wondering what to do about this. I have a samsung s6 and don't want to be on roaming the entire week. Will I be charged roaming fees? Is there a step I can take to use a partner network to avoid roaming?

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

wyldhawk9,

Staying connected while traveling is crucial. We don't want you to have to worry about extra charges. I'm glad to say that usage in Puerto Rico is covered by all of our US plans. You will not have to worry about roaming charges.

All usage in Puerto Rico is roaming because you are using our partner networks there. Roaming doesn't mean there is a cost necessarily. It just means that you are on a tower that isn't owned or operated by Verizon Wireless. In some areas like in the US and Puerto Rico we have partner networks where we have made agreements for you to use their towers and this usage is included in our plans even though it is roaming. Roaming charges only show up if you connect to a network that isn't part of the plan and that isn't an option in Puerto Rico so while you will be roaming, you can use the service there just like you do at home for no cost. Does that make sense?

AndrewT_VZW

0 Likes