4510L Sonicwall VPN connection not stable on Win7
fletch_21136

I recently upgraded from the 3G USB modem to the 4G mifi.  I have not been sucessful in keeping a VPN tunnel up for more than 6 minutes.  With the 3G USB modem, I never had an issue.  On the 4G mifi, Internet service experiences a brief interruption as well.  I've tested the same mifi with a XP laptop and had no issues with the VPN tunnel.  While I've seen issues regarding Microsoft, anyone been sucessful with the Sonicwall VPN device, Windows7 x64, and 4510L mifi?

Thank-you in advance,

Joe F.

Labels (1)
0 Likes
Re: 4510L Sonicwall VPN connection not stable on Win7
VL600_Boston
Contributor - Level 1

Welcome.   Just to clarify -  when you did the XP thing, was the MiFi device in the same location.   Can you get a report from the device on signal strength in  4G?   Perhaps the config page will show these to you.  On my  4G USB  modem the VZAM software reports signal strength pretty clearly - (mouse over gives numeric dBm).  

I would search the forum for several threads relating to VPN and the 4510 over the past several weeks.  Not being a user I don't remember some of the funky stuff they did.  :smileyhappy:  You may be able to PM one those posters if they don't get to you first.  

0 Likes
fletch_21136

To clarify, I tested the XP box at the same time/location as the Win7 box.  In addition, I've tested my Win7 laptop at different locations and have experienced the same VPN connection drop.

The signal strength has always been good (between 2 to 3 bars on the device).  I have been searching and have only come across issues with Microsoft VPN connection.

0 Likes
T-bolt_Camb

I saw some posts that indicated that problems of dropped connections  in these devices may be in the Wi-Fi  link - not the mobile link.   e.g. if the wi-fi link drops and then attempts are reconnect, the  VPN  may not allow auto-recon.   You can try to log this or change wifi settings related to default radio channel -  wifi power saving (range setting),  IP address type,  router features  (DHCP, etc.).   

0 Likes
fletch_21136

Thanks for the suggestions.  I did change the power settings to FULL when on battery.  The connection stayed up for about an hour, then failed.  Subsequent attempts have yielded the same results - a non-stable tunnel.  When I attempt the VPN tunnel from home using my FIOS wireless router, the tunnel is stable - so I am still puzzled at this time.

0 Likes