3G vs 600Kb after 10G of data
DANHIL71
Enthusiast - Level 1

I signed up for a new Verizon account on July 5 - by July 9th I had gone through the first 10G - I am taking a class online and knew that would be the case - I received my message: "Your 4G ... has reached its 4G LTE data allowance.... Your 4G Internet will be switched from 4G LTE speed to 3G speed for the rest of your bill cycle."   This worked fine for the whole month, as this reduced speed was still sufficient for me to continue attending my online class.

One month later -

Aug 19: "Your 4G Internet will be switched from 4G LTE speed to speeds up to 600 Kbps for the rest of your bill cycle." 

This is not the contract I signed up for -- the first month is what I expected and no complaints -- the second month the 600 Kpbs is too slow/sluggish that I am unable to attend my online class. 

Please someone help me to understand how my contract went from 3G speed to up to 600 Kpbs.

Thank you in advance -

D.

Labels (1)
Re: 3G vs 600Kb after 10G of data
HARDIZ59
Enthusiast - Level 1

I agree completely with your concern. It looks like they extended the initial limit from 10 gig to 15 but are now slowing us even more than before. I could live with 3 g but this "up to 600 k" limit may not work for me. We use up the initial amount in just the first few days of the month (we live in the country away from cable and use this as our internet access).

vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

DANHIL71,

We always want your speeds to be efficient. I can understand your concerns. Knowing your plan and meeting your needs is very important. I'll be happy to help. Please check your Inbox for my Private Message.

RyanC_VZW

Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport

If my response answered your question please click the 'Correct Answer' button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!

0 Likes
FALXCEREBRI
Enthusiast - Level 1

I could not agree more.  First of all, supposedly it is 22 GB before getting throttled (although, I understand that the hotspot limit is 15 GB, which is poor design and feels like a cheat).  Second, this new change from 3GB to 600 Kb is drastic, making working on the internet through a hotspot untenable. 

Verizon, I have been a loyal customer for 10+ years (if I remember correctly), and I am disappointed in the way this sudden change (from 3 GB after throttling to 600 KB) was executed.  It felt underhanded, announced in small print while the misleading promises are always in large print.

My contract thankfully will be up soon, and I am consider moving to a new company, especially since I doubt you will promise to more transparency and will also try to pull this kind of bait and switch again.  I am also considering a BBB submission (as someone suggested doing on another similar thread).  If you would like to discuss let me know.

KIRSTE18
Enthusiast - Level 1

[Removed] The question was asked on a public forum. You should answer it on a public forum. This practice of taking things into private messages simply leads people to believe you have something to hide.

inappropriate content removed as required by the Verizon Wireless Terms of Service

Message edited by Verizon Moderator

vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

FALXCEREBRI,

We value your more than ten years of loyalty and certainly wouldn't want to see you go anywhere else. I completely understand why you need great speeds.

The hotspot is handled differently from phones because a phone connection is used only on that device while a hotspot can share it's connection with many devices simultaneously. Hotspots and internet devices do slow down at a certain point while phones are deprioritized. You can see details on the differences in how this is handled at http://vz.to/2kMpkew under questions 5 and 6.

If you need more high speed data than this, we want to make sure that can happen. There is always the option to do a data boost to get another 5GBs of high speed data. http://vz.to/2wpTZpn If that still isn't enough, we have many data only plans to allow higher amounts. http://vz.to/2gMMLA6

AndrewT_VZW

If my response answered your question please click the �Correct Answer� button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!

0 Likes
Legacy2124
Enthusiast - Level 1

600kb is not reliable internet speeds. Where I live I get service that isn't that great. I just passed the 15GB mark and got turned down. Did some tests and it takes FOREVER to get anywhere! I'm paying $125 a month for a single line and one phone for 600kb internet speeds. Dropped my plan down. Verizon, I hope you realize how much more money you could make if you change this! Even limiting us to 2mb would be better!

jmccrear
Enthusiast - Level 1

This is absolutely bait and switch. I changed over to an unlimited data plan with the promise from Verizon that after I’ve used 15 GB of data, my speed would change from 4G to 3G and the difference in speed would be “hardly noticeable”. Approximately a month later, I began a new cycle and once I used over 15 GB of data, and attempted to use my phone as a hotspot, my internet speed was so slow, it was as if I had dial up. That’s when I realized Verizon changed their service to provide hotspot speeds of 600 kbps after customers use 15 GB of data. I called a rep about the slow speed, and first she told me that “phones aren’t intended to be used as hotspots for internet”. (The Verizon salesperson who sold me the phone recommended this model because it makes a great hotspot and I can avoid paying for alternative high speed internet to use for my laptop.)  The phone rep also told me that  600 kbps is the same speed as 3G. I found out that’s a complete lie once I spoke with a Verizon technician today. He said at 600 kbps, using a hotspot for internet is so slow it’s almost useless. He also informed me that once customers use 22 GB of data, the speed for both phone and hotspot changes to “deprioritized mode”, slowing down even more significantly, and fluctuating based on how many customers are online. I chose my phone service provider based on the service and speeds in the unlimited data plan agreement and information from Verizon staff. Verizon has no right to provide me with slower, unreliable speed that differs from what I was promised. I live in a rural area where I have no other option for high speed internet except using my phone as a hotspot. I’m sure Verizon’s reps will try to sell me a jet pack and further increase my bill. I bought my phone and chose my plan to avoid getting a jet pack.

Nakamukk
Enthusiast - Level 1

I agree with all of this on here. I also am a student. I have many videos, lectures and online assignments in general that having this “limit” put on is ridiculous. For the amount of money that we are paying I don’t think it’s reasonable at all.

vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Nakamukk, we can certainly understand your concerns with needing fast data speeds at all times. With our Beyond Unlimited Plans and The New Verizon Unlimited Plan, you do have the option to purchase data boost for an additional $35.00. This will provide you with an additional 5GB of 4G data speeds for mobile hotspot usage. 

Thank You,

MichelleS_VZW

If my response answered your question please click the �Correct Answer� button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!

0 Likes