3 Reps Lied about unlimited data plan
deeplist

Last week, Wednesday I believe it was, I receive a call from VZW asking me if there's anything they can do, blah blah blah and going over the lines on my account to see if they were eligible for an upgrade. My main line has been eligible for some time, but I have not messed with it because I WAS on the unlimited data plan. I tell the guy that I am not interested in upgrading because I didn't want to lose the unlimited data. After placing me on a brief hold to "speak to his supervisor" he tells me that he can do what is called a "buddy" or "alternate" upgrade and basically use the upgrade on another line to upgrade my line with the unlimited data WITHOUT losing the unlimited data plan. I'm leery at this point, but reluctantly agree to go through after asking him THREE TIMES whether I would lose the unlimited data and he tells me no, three times. Fast forward an hour, I receive a confirmation email for the order that was placed and notice that is says my data will be changed to 6 GB. I immediately call them back and speak to a woman this time, who confirms again (4th time now) that the unlimited data will not be disturbed and the 6 GB is entered in the system because they have to put "something" in there and it will be overrided once the activation takes place. The weekend passes, and the new phone arrives on Monday. I activate it, and sure enough... unlimited data is GONE. I called customer service immediately and the guy I spoke to tells me there was an "error" in placing the order and the rep put it in wrong. He said the unlimited data should not have been disturbed and he will put through an IPR (inactive price request) to have the plan restored. He assures me the unlimited data will be returned and he would call me within 3 days with a follow up or confirmation... 3 days pass. Nothing. So I call customer service AGAIN on Thursday evening. The woman I spoke to this time told me that all 3 previous reps were wrong and there is no possible way to renew the contact or upgrade without losing the unlimited data. She said the IPR was declined and the only way to have the plan restored is to return the phone within 14 days and submit yet ANOTHER IPR. She advised that the three previous people that I spoke to were wrong and provided the wrong information. So here we are. Tomorrow morning, I will box up the new phone and return it, and hope and pray to God that they will return my unlimited data.

My problem is, how/why was I LIED TO on 5 different occasions, by 3 different reps. Now, I have to go through the hassle of returning this new phone, activating the old phone and then sit on edge of the seat while another "IPR" gets sent off to this magical department, which may, or may not, be granted. What a complete and utter load of nonsense. I asked the woman if I can just pay full retail for the phone and skip the hassle of sending it back, she said I could not. I'd have to return it and then RE-purchase another one at full retail.... what a joke. I can't believe the incompetence and unwillingness to resolve an issue for a customer of over 8 years without jumping through all of these hoops and nonsense. Inexcusable.

Subject line edited as required by the Terms of Service.

Message was edited by: Admin Moderator

Labels (1)
0 Likes
Re: Pissed - 3 Reps Lied about unlimited data plan
Not applicable

You have to remember Verizon Wireless is using any means to get unlimited data away from grandfathered in customers.

I have posted this on many occasions as a warning to be careful. First never buy any device over the phone, never upgrade over the phone, go into a corporate store and not a reseller.

You can retain the unlimited data via full purchase price or using Verizon's Device Payment Plan. (You pay over 12 months, the first payment and the full tax is due at time of purchase and a $2 service fee) you then make 11 more payments plus the $2 fee each month. And the only change done is the esn/emeid is changed in the system for the line you upgrade. No contracts, no loss of unlimited data.

Please note do not opt for the EDGE program since you will lose unlimited data.

That line about the approval is hog wash. Many folks here have said that Verizon claims it cannot restore the unlimited even if it was removed by accident. However the 14 day worry free guarantee states the account must return to what it was before. So you may have to take Verizon Wireless to court over the loss to your unlimited data, remember you are taking them to court for the worry free guarantee so make sure to keep dates, times, and names of those you have spoken to. You also should print out your Worry Free Guarantee since the court will need to see the language of it.

Also be careful in the corporate store since the sales people will deny you can use the device payment plan for cell phones and that you will lose unlimited. It is a good idea to printout the FAQ's for the Device Payment Plan from this site.

Good Luck

0 Likes
deeplist

Well, I didn't record the very first conversation because they called me on my mobile while I was away from the house. I didn't record the second call when I phoned in an hour after placing the "order" over the phone when I saw the confirmation email and freaked out. However, I DID record the call on Monday when I called following the device upgrade and loss of the Unlimited Data. The guy assured me that the IPR would solve the issue, the unlimited data would be restored and the overages would be removed. It was a 13 minute call, saved on my computer, clear as day. The woman that I spoke to today was very straight forward and I could tell by her voice and tone that she was telling the truth. I'd like to commend her for that. She's the one that advised the ONLY course of action now to restore the plan is to return the new device within the 14 day window... which I am going to do. First thing tomorrow, the phone is going back.

I'm pretty pissed they didn't bother to contact me when the IPR was declined a day or two ago. I'm pretty certain they were just hoping that I would forget about it and let the "worry free guarantee" period expire... not gonna happen. I don't appreciate being lied to and dealt with like some idiot. I really hope the previous three CS reps that I spoke to (especially the one who placed the order to begin with and assured me THREE (3) times that the plan wouldn't change) receive some kind of reprimand. This sort of shoddy customer service and "under the table" tactics to get people off their grandfathered plans are crooked and unacceptable. Believe me, I will be letting all of my friends and family know exactly what happened here, especially if they refuse or give me grief about returning my account after I send the phone back and I have to resort to going to small claims. I would assume that a customer of 8 years would be able to have some kind of leverage to expedite this nonsense and resolve it effectively and promptly... I guess not.

0 Likes
Not applicable

The null account request has via other postings here been denied to others.

The problem here is you return everything via usps which is the worst service to use. The post office will either not scan the package in or the delay in getting it back to Verizon will negate your 14 day return policy.

Check the forum here of devices returned not being so called returned and then you get charged $199-$500 for the non returned device. Or the empty box returned, or the device returned was damaged and Verizon charges you for the device. This is just a heads up, it may or may not happen with you.

Remember if the package gets returned and Verizon takes their time noting your return, or they say it reached them past the 14 day return date you lose your unlimited data.

There is also a $35 restocking fee, and I believe you took a contract so there was a $30 upgrade fee. So this has caused you some money already.

Be diligent . Remember T-Mobile and Sprint have lower pricing and unlimited data. But the service coverage is much worse.

Good Luck

0 Likes
deeplist

The first guy that I spoke to that called initially told me the upgrade fee would be waived. Of course they'll probably lie and say he never said that, especially since I didn't have the opportunity to record that conversation. As far as the restocking fee is concerned, I shouldn't have to pay that since they lied, but I probably won't have much recourse there either. I am half tempted to go to the corporate store in person tomorrow and explain the situation to them, and bring the recordings along with all of the paperwork and see if there's anything they could do, but I doubt it will do any good.

I understand on them dragging their feet on accepting the return or nonsense happening with the postal service, hence the reason why I am returning it WELL within the window in the event that something does happen. I ship with USPS quite often and the package will have delivery confirmation as well as signature confirmation, so the date in which it was delivered will not be up for debate.

I would absolutely switch to another carrier if I could and as far as I am concerned, they've lost my loyalty as a long term customer. But, as you mentioned, Verizon is the only carrier in this area with service that's worth a damn, and they know it.

Thanks for your insight.

0 Likes
deeplist

Update:

I called VZW back again on the evening of March 13th because I read somewhere that I would be subject to a "cancellation fee" of $30 unless I deactivated the device within 3 days of activation. Since it was activated on Monday the 10th, I didn't want to have it subject to any nonsense fees. Anyway, I spoke to a lady in CS named Bianca (sp) and she was, hands-down, THE MOST wonderful CS rep I have ever spoke with from Verizon. She was sincere and advised she would have the cancellation fee as well as the restocking fee waived. She was also going to provide a credit of $6 on my account for the 3 days of prior nonsense. She advised that as long as the new device was returned within the 14 day "worry free guarantee" period, the Unlimited Data would be returned back because basically the plan has to be returned back to the way it was prior to the upgrade. I advised that would be fine and I will be returning the device first thing in the morning.

Friday, March 14th:

I still had all the documentation, original box, screen cover, etc. I took pictures, so there's no argument about condition or it being "like new" condition. The droid box was then wrapped in bubble wrap and placed in the original shipping carton and addition crushed paper was added too. I put the prepaid label on and then dropped it off at the post office. (It's scheduled for delivery to VZW on Monday, March 17.) Friday afternoon, I went to the Verizon store in Fort Wayne Indiana (located at Dupont and Lima road) and spoke to a rep there named Shawn about buying a new Droid Ultra and paying full retail price. He advised against doing that until after VZW receives the return and it's "back in the system" and the IPR goes through, at which point, THEN, search for a new device at full retail, or buy a phone from a third party. He provided me with his name and cell number and I was on my way. I went home and found a brand new Droid Ultra on eBay for $270 and purchased it. I believe it should be here Tuesday. Once my unlimited data is restored, I will be activating THAT phone rather than messing with trying to get one through Verizon at all.

So here we are... the weekend waiting game.

Bianca advised that she would submit another IPR contingent upon the new phone being returned to the Verizon warehouse and if she didn't have a resolution by Friday, the 21st, she would be reviewing the ticket again and putting it in "high gear" and although I have no reason to not believe her, because she was very straight forward with me, I believe I will be hammering VZW hard on Tuesday after I see the return was delivered to let them know that I'm not backing down from this, or letting them drag this out and expire the 14 day "worry free guarantee" period... because I believe that's my only leverage at this point.

Wednesday 3-5: Order placed with VZW

Monday 3-10: Phone received, activated, unlimited data gone

Friday 3-14: Phone returned to VZW
Monday 3-17: Phone received at VZW warehouse

I've read a couple of places that the "worry free guarantee" period begins at the time the order was placed, rather than when the order was received/activated. But either way, the phone will be returned back within 14 days and I expect my account to be restored.

0 Likes