Thunderbolt won't send text messages, make calls, or receive calls since this morning.
Seiber
Enthusiast - Level 2

This morning I was using my phone for texting and called a few people just fine. Around lunch time, my phone would not send any text messages. So, I tried calling my phone from my company phone (Sprint) and my Thunderbolt went straight to voicemail. I have received a few texts, but cannot respond. I have full 4G, not roaming. My internet works just fine. It will let me browse the web on 4G service, no problem. I can use all my apps that require data (Pandora, Facebook, StumbleUpon) and everything works perfectly fine. I have tried calling the *228. When I dial it, I get dead air, the phone automatically ends the call and I receive a notification "A Verizon Wireless SIM card has activated your service and updated your phone's roaming capabilities." No chance to push option 1 or anything. I am currently running in safe mode to see if any app may be conflicting and still the problem is on going. If anyone else has any real troubleshooting options I would greatly appreciate it. I am having a hard time believing that my phone just broke with nothing happening to it. I have already tried pulling the battery and doing the soft resets No help thus far. I need one of you cell phone guru gods to help me and send some good karma to my phone. Please and thank you so very much!!

0 Likes
Re: Thunderbolt won't send text messages, make calls, or receive calls since this morning.
Ann154
Community Leader
Community Leader

Dialing *228 on a 4G LTE phone isn't necessary. Removing the battery and SIM card for a few minutes replaces that dial code.

It might be worth getting a replacement SIM card. I would suggest going to a corporate store or calling customer service at 1-800-922-0204 from another device and requesting one be sent to you.

I'm most definitely NOT a VZW employee. If a post answered your question, please mark it as the answer.

0 Likes
Re: Thunderbolt won't send text messages, make calls, or receive calls since this morning.
Seiber
Enthusiast - Level 2

Ok I wasn't aware of that. So, now my question is if it is my SIM card, why would my 4GLTE be working perfectly fine for internet, and pandora and everything else that requires data EXCEPT for phone calls and SMS? I also find it hard to believe that my SIM card has just up and decided it didn't want to work like it has an expiration date on it or something. Especially when nothing has happened to the phone. It remained sitting in my work van until I finished working. And then all of a sudden it doesn't work. I am quite happy my contract is over with Verizon. I don't see myself signing another agreement with this company. I have had 4 of these phones now and everyone just says "we can send you a new one. Well, that new one has cost me a significant amount of money over the past 2 years after 4 phones. I don't have the money or the time to invest in a company that is not willing to invest their time and money into customer satisfaction and fixing problems. Anytime I call technical support I never get a clear answer of anything. It really leads the customer to believe that Verizon doesn't even know what's wrong with their own equipment and just utters up an excuse as a "software malfunction." I am very very unsatisfied with Verizon. Even checking on these forums I feel like there are no real answers from the tech support on these situations. I think Comcast officially has better customer service than t this point.

0 Likes
SekureAtty

My Thunderbolt is doing the EXACT same thing and it started 3 days ago for no reason.  I didn't notice until I tried to make a phone call and text Wed. morning.  I'd be interested in knowing if you made any progress with this since we seem to be in the same boat.

0 Likes
Seiber
Enthusiast - Level 2

Oh yes I actually did fix the issue. I knew it wasn't a SIM card issue. What I did was this: I open settings, clicked on mobile network, then click on system select and place it on automatic. As soon as I did this, it connected to the extended network and everything started working just fine. Let me know if this helps for you also.

Sent from my Verizon Wireless BlackBerry

SekureAtty

Sadly mine is already on automatic.  I tried switching it back and forth and restarting but no luck.  Thanks for the reply though.  I guess I'm just going to have to tell Verizon (and Asurion) that I'm sick of their treatment of long time customers and start shopping for a new provider.

0 Likes