Re: Unable to connect to an Exchange Server iPhone 5
orchid20

THIS WORKED FOR ME!!

All week I tried many things with my AD and exchange email account nothing worked.  But I looked at the event veiwer on exchange server and I had an event id 1019; researched on it and found the following command shell resolved my problem.  Enter this command in exchange command shell and add your account on the iPhone and emails should arrive and push should work fine. 

set-CASMailbox USER -ActiveSyncAllowedDeviceIDs $null

I have exchange 2007 with iPhone 5 from Verizon.

0 Likes
Killylokey
Enthusiast - Level 1

It's months later for me, but I am having the same issue with every verizon wireless device; iPhone 4, 4s, 5, iPads, MiFi and netbook imbedded devices.  Off-site non-Verizon WiFi will work. but if any devices connection to the internet is VZW, it's severely hit or miss.

The temp fix is to enter the actual external ip address of my exchange server instead of our mail.domainname.com.

This works for any 3g / LTE connection.  However, when on wifi in the building (the same local network as the Exchange server) it has to be changed back.  The other temp fix is to set up two short cuts to Outlook Web Access for all my netbook and laptop-MiFi users... One with the domain name and one with the ip.  The IP shortcut does throw up a ssl certificate warning.

For us, it changes throughout the day, as to weather or not users can connect with the domain name, and, as said before, AT&T 4S connects consistently all the time.  It seems as though verizons network cant resolve the domain name to our IP address.

0 Likes
Not applicable

Have you read through this...it seems like a pretty thorough discussion of ongoing Exchange issues in regard to iPhone 5.
https://discussions.apple.com/thread/4345374?start=0&tstart=0

It looks like the very early, and the later would be beneficial.  A long thread, but it might help you rule out other areas, or give you new ones to investigate.

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Hey there Killylokey. I am sorry to hear of the continuous issues that you are having connecting to the exchange server on your new iPhone 5. I am glad that you were able to find a temporary resolution, but I would like to look into a permanent solution for you.

There was a recent software update to the iPhone as of 2/19/2013. Did you complete the update? Let us know if after updating the software if you continue to have issues with the server.

NickB_VZWSupport
VZW Support
Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport

0 Likes
Killylokey
Enthusiast - Level 1

Thanks for the heads up on the IOS update.  However my particular issue encompasses Andriod devices (phones and tablets) and Windows laptops using USB dongles and imbedded 3G and LTE hardware.  This issue is very consistent.

Here is a simple visual aid:

server set to:                         Using Connection:                         Result:

"mail.our-domain.com"           3G / LTE                                       Cannot Get Mail

"mail.our-domain.com"           ISP other than VZW                       OK

"our External IP"                    3G / LTE                                       OK

"our External IP"                    WiFi same LAN as Exch Server     Cannot Get Mail

We have 1 AT&T iphone.  It always works.

Basically, through simple deductive reasoning, there is no configuration/hardware problem.  Verizon's Wireless network cannot consistently resolve our domain name to our external IP address.  AT&T does, there is even a Sprint iPhone that worked as intended.  All devices that rely on a Verizon 3G or LTE connection to the internet have this same problem.

0 Likes
kmstoner

I had the same issue with a second email account. I found that the users account in AD in the Security Tab, Advanced section did not have permissions for RAS IAS. I added the appropriate read permission and other necessary permissions to the account and voila! Hope this helps someone.

0 Likes
CIIGUY

I just experience the same problem. All of the sudden without making any changes I got the error message on my iPhone5 "Cannot Get Mail - The connection to the server failed." This was strange because I was still getting email on my Outlook and on my "webmail" I was still able to get emails.

Basically it was a really simple fix. Instead of calling up a Verizon rep and then getting connected with an Apple "expert", deleting the account, resetting network settings, turning off the phone, turning on the phone, etc.... try this:

Delete a bunch of emails from your webmail (the way you access mail from the internet when you are not on your office computer) around the time that your emails stopped coming through to your phone. This immediately fixed the push problem for me. There was a message that my phone simply didn't like.

0 Likes