Don't get 3 or 4G - frustrated!
lizmn
Enthusiast - Level 2

Just switched from iphone 4s, and want to love this phone. But wireless isn't great (I'm next to the router), and I get neither 3 or 4G. I tried power cycling. I took out and put back in the Sim card. I tested signal strength with OpenSignal: on Voice I have three bars out of 6  (-101 dBm eHRPD Verizon Wireless, whatever that means), and on data, nothing - no Data.

Part of that is I believe we are in a Verizon hole (and I am in the close in suburbs of a major metropolitan area, zip 22003) but part has to be this phone. Grr!

Is there anything I can do?

0 Likes
Re: Don't get 3 or 4G - frustrated!
B33
Legend

You said your Next to a Router i'm assuming it's Connected through DSL or Cable is that Correct?  If so you can't get a 3 or 4G signal from it.!  but you can However get a Wi-Fi signal if the Router is a Wireless Router Turn your Wi-Fi on by going into your Setting and see if you see your Router if your do enter your Username and the Password and you should be connected.. b33

0 Likes
lizmn
Enthusiast - Level 2

Yes, I realize that i can't get 3 or 4G from router. I was trying to say I get both poor wireless AND nonexistent 3/4G (not sure what the term for that is). Wireless is from cable modem and wireless router. WiFi is turned on. I have tried cycling that too.

0 Likes
B33
Legend

In re-reading you post i over looked the first time you have a iPhone 4s the 4s cannot Utilize get 4G service only the iPhone 5 Try these Suggestion see if helps to improve the 3G service  OR as mentioned Try using the Wi-Fi from your router..

Here are some things you can Try.  Some have Before with Good Results..

1. Try a Network Extender from Verizon see if that helps pull in the Signal..
  2. You said you had a Router).!  As i mentioned in my previous post with a Router if it's  Wireless you can run your Data that way through your Wi-Fi Setup and get some good speeds
  3. Since you have a iPhone 4s you can try this and see if it helps Do a *228 Send then option 1 for a Phone reset or 2 for a PRL update it may be you phone just needs this update to reconnect with the Tower Try this and see if it helps any..
  4. IF the above don't work Call Customer Service 1-800-922-0204 From a Landline *611 from a Cellphone and then Choose Option 3 Tech see if they can help you get the issue resolved..
0 Likes
Ann154
Community Leader
Community Leader

The OP just switched FROM the iPhone 4S.

I'm most definitely NOT a VZW employee. If a post answered your question, please mark it as the answer.

0 Likes
B33
Legend

Yea I realize that Now.. Ann  the OP has a Verizon 4G Router, and lives Around the Annadale VA area I was looking on Sensorly and i Googled the ZIP when looking on Sensorly there seems to be pretty Good Coverage so i'm wondering if Its a bad Sim Card that needs to be replaced..

I don't if this will help or not but i put on here the Link of the only Router i found that Verizon sells,  And I added on here the Manual to the Router in the PDF format Version..  Hope this helps the OP

http://goo.gl/oZCr9F

http://support.verizonwireless.com/4g-lte-router.pdf

0 Likes
lizmn
Enthusiast - Level 2

Thanks, all, for your suggestions. Every other wireless device in the house (and we have quite a few!) works fine and gets a good signal, so I don't think the wireless router is the problem. I may look into getting a new SIM card, though. I hope they won't charge me for it, the phone is less than a week old. And all the other phones in the house get a good data signal - iphone 4 and 5 and my husbands phone. So that leaves me to think that the problem is with my phone. And, yes, I checked on Sensorly and OpenSignal, and even Verizon's coverage map, and we should have good coverage here.

*611 next. I tried *228 and got a message saying the Sim card has updated my roaming capabilities.

0 Likes
B33
Legend

Hey Good Luck there and sorry if i didn't Catch on Quick it's a Sign the Old Saddle is Slippin a Bit Smiley Happy b

0 Likes
tikibar1
Community Leader
Community Leader

lizmn wrote:

Thanks, all, for your suggestions. Every other wireless device in the house (and we have quite a few!) works fine and gets a good signal, so I don't think the wireless router is the problem. I may look into getting a new SIM card, though. I hope they won't charge me for it, the phone is less than a week old. And all the other phones in the house get a good data signal - iphone 4 and 5 and my husbands phone. So that leaves me to think that the problem is with my phone. And, yes, I checked on Sensorly and OpenSignal, and even Verizon's coverage map, and we should have good coverage here.

*611 next. I tried *228 and got a message saying the Sim card has updated my roaming capabilities.

Please don't dial *228 if your phone has a SIM card.  The roaming capability updates on 4G phones (i.e., those with SIM cards) are done automatically by the SIM card, dialing *228 doesn't work (usually the calls won't go through).  If you want to force an update should one be available, turn off your phone, remove the SIM card, wait a few minutes, reinsert the SIM card, turn the phone back on, then wait a few minutes for the SIM card to re-establish a network connection.  You might try that again before getting a new SIM card (and yes, SIM cards are free at your local Corporate Verizon store).

0 Likes