Re: Slow LTE speeds in NYC - 7th Ave / 37th St
VZWNY
Enthusiast - Level 3

Trouble ticket results, after speaking with a Tier 2 tech - we are out of luck!
In all seriousness though - not much we can do.  The ticket was closed stating that the area is overpopulated, too many network extendors, too many buildings, etc...with no ability to give me a roadmap of any tower improvements.  Funny that other carriers don't have these issues in the area (namely AT&T, Tmobile, Sprint).  VZ just doesn't seem to get it that all of Manhattan is suffering on this issue.  But it is what it is, until our contracts are up (thankfully not too long for me).  Good luck to all that remain in the area with VZ. 

0 Likes
captainJ

The answer from the tech is unacceptable.  All of Manhattan is overpopulated.  I just upgraded to a Samsung Galaxy IV and noticed immediately how incredibly slow the LTE speed is in Manhattan.  I've tried it in midtown (47th and park) and financial district (Williams St).  Based on Speedtest.net, my data download is averaging 700kbps.  At home in Brooklyn, I was getting between 10MBps-15MBps. Verizon should upgrade and fix this situation. It's pointless to own this phone if the fastest download at work is under 1 MB. I've still got 14 days to return the phone and switch to AT&T.

0 Likes
Intocable
Contributor - Level 2

just tested today in 34th 7th ave i got 284kbps download speed. upload results never came up. my contract ended 2 days ago. t mobile is looking better and better. i have unlimited data but so does t mobile .

0 Likes
VZWNY
Enthusiast - Level 3

Agreed - I've used other devices that my company issues (we use VZW, Tmo, ATT) and also had a friend on Sprint test...VZW is definitely the slowest and least reliable in Manhattan right now of the main 4 carriers.  So really, I get that VZW has the best *coverage* (not speed) nationwide...but if you are mostly in NYC...avoid VZW.  My contract is nearly up, I'm just debating which carrier to go to at this point.  Tmobile seems to have the best plan for me (unlimited data etc), ATT seems to have the "exclusive" deals on phones initially (ie. the new Moto-X customization is att only for now, the S4 Active version, initially had the iphone exclusively, etc.). 

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Intocable,

I like shopping around as much as the next person, just not when it comes to a new wireless carrier. And we don't want to see you leave and potentially deal speeds on an unlimited plan that are severely decreased once you hit only a few hundred MB's. May I ask if your issues are indoors only? And which phone do you have? Also, do you notice issues elsewhere or is it really just where you cited? Please share details so we can keep you on board.

EvanO_VZW

Follow us on twitter @VZWSupport

0 Likes
VZWNY
Enthusiast - Level 3

Verizon - these speeds are both indoors and outdoors.  See the above comments.  Trouble tickets get filed, then resolved with no real resolution.  It is almost all of Manhattan when no other carriers in the area have this issue.  To also state " And we don't want to see you leave and potentially deal speeds on an unlimited plan that are severely decreased once you hit only a few hundred MB's. May I ask if your issues are indoors only?" is not fair - those throttled speeds are actually FASTER than VZW's standard speeds in the area. 

0 Likes
VZWNY
Enthusiast - Level 3

This thread is a perfect example of the type of customer service/support Verizon has offered to NYC (and judging by the other posts in this community, other big metro areas) for the past year (from all fronts - phone, store, forums, twitter, etc.).

"Oh there's a problem?  We had no idea!  Let us investigate!" ...............silence..........no improvements.............

budone
Legend

I have to say, if I was there even for a weekend, which I am hoping to in October, THAT would drive me insane. And to deal with it every day? UGH

0 Likes
mc_365
Enthusiast - Level 2

I work in the Rockefeller Center area and barely can connect to any servers because it is so slow the connection times out.  My facebook app says "No Connection" my browser says "Can not find server"   etc.  Speed test when it does connect says avg 20 KB/s that's crazy slow.   Pandora has to buffer mid song, I mean these are 1 MB low quality mp3's.

This all really started in April 2012, before then I had great service on my Rezound.  My coworker even switched becuase of my teasing about how much better my service was, he has since switch back to Tmobile as after a month on Verizon it went south and he was able to cancel but I was stuck.  My coworker and I had both called VZW support and were both told the same, "If you work in a Brick, Steel, and or Glass Building, those materials interfere with the signal"  we both walk to the VZ store on 44th and Madison, were we proceeded to do a speed test inside the VZW corporate store and it showed less than dial up speed performance.  We were told that was normal in the store because they are in a poor signal zone.  I feel like I'm being extorted to fulfill a service contract because VZW can mess my credit up and there is little I can do about it. Since my credit score is more important than $30/month and mobile internet I'm screwed.  I will most likely go to a dumb phone when my contract is up, and just get a prepaid 3G router to use with my tablet for mobile internet.  VZW is ripping alot of people off.

vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

We want you to enjoy reliable service in as many areas as possible mc_365! We don't want to lose you! What zip code are you in? How is the service outside of your work location or in another zip code? It sounds like you have already brought these concerns to our attention before. We appreciate you reaching out to us via a different support channel; however, please be aware troubleshooting options will be consistent throughout each channel.

JonathanK_VZW
VZW Support
Follow Us on Twitter@VZWSupport

0 Likes