Missing Google Maps and Navigation Icons
RHBrant6

Recently, while broken down on the side of the road and wondering exactly where I was so I could call a tow truck, I realized that both Google Maps and the stock Navigation application had disappeared from the desktop of my RAZR.  I tried looking in Apps just in case the icons had been accidentally deleted and they were not there either.  I went to the Play Store to reload Google Maps and the Play Store said it was already installed!  I ran it from the Play Store page okay, but still no icons in Apps or on the desktop.  I deleted the Google Maps updates (as a standard application, it refused to remove it completely), and still nothing.  I reinstalled the updates, and still nothing.  I tried finding the Navigation app, but I couldn't find it in the Play Store to see if it was suffering the exact same symptoms.  I checked Apps under System Settings and Maps (Google) is there, but the navigation app is not.  All I can do from this page is clear data, force stop, uninstall etc.

Ideas?

Labels (1)
0 Likes
Re: Missing Google Maps and Navigation Icons
tikibar1
Community Leader
Community Leader

search is your friend:

B33
Legend

0 Likes
RHBrant6

Unfortunately, as I said, Maps is not displayed either.  I can only start Maps by going to Play Store and starting it from there.  Not on the main screen, not in Apps, but it's hidden there somewhere because Play Store says it's already there.  Thanks for the tip about Navigation though!

0 Likes
RHBrant6

#Fail

0 Likes
B33
Legend

Smiley Sad that's the berries.. There is a new Update for Google Maps out in the PlayStore and from what i heard it's not doing to Good and after the Update the Navigation Icon Disappeared so i have not Updated as of Yet,  I know that Latitude that was included with Google maps was to be dropped from this new update.) I guess i will have to test the app on one of my Razr's to see what for sure it does.. If i do i'll let ya know here on this thread.. b 

0 Likes
RHBrant6

Yeah, Maps just updated last night and still nothing there.  I asked a few RAZR owners at work yesterday and they are having no such problems except for the Navigation issue, which I was able to sort them out on.  Their Maps icon hasn't disappeared like mine though.  I seem to have a unique glitch that occurred just as Navigation was being merged with Maps.  It would probably be fixed if only I could completely remove Maps and reinstall it, but as a stock application you are forced to have, you can only remove the updates -- not the entire thing.  I CAN create a MAPS widget I have found, that's only applicable to one navigation site on a case-by-case basis.  Can't just start it up in regular Maps mode though and do searches though -- it just starts and tells you how to get to where you told it you were going when you created it.

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Thank you all for taking the time to help out!

@RHBrant6,

I understand how important it is to have your Navigation app working properly. I use my Google maps all the time and I'd be lost without it.

I researched this and found that this is due to up-date by Google to Maps app ver 7.0. Have you tried uninstalling the update for Maps?

Keep me posted.

John_VZW
Please follow us on twitter @VZWSupport

0 Likes
mgraps

I'm having the exact same problem. Also tried uninstalling the update, etc. Nothing works.

0 Likes
RHBrant6

Yes, I have tried uninstalling the updates.  Either uninstalled or reinstalled, Maps does not appear.  All I can do is create a widget with a specific destination defined.

Sorry about the delayed response -- I was on a trip and Internet access was quite lacking.

0 Likes