Galaxy S3 message "Your device's current firmware version is not supported to update firmware." when USB connected to PC
JohnRRocha
Enthusiast - Level 3

I've recently (within the past week) started to see the following message whenever I connect my Galaxy S3 phone to my PC via a USB cable"You device's current firmware version is not supported to update firmware." And I don't know what it really means, how to fix it or deal with it.

This message appears as a notification in the lower right hand corner of my PC when the phone is connected,

1.JPG

and goes away when I select "OK".

It also appears if I left click on the VZW Software Upgrade Assistant - Samsung icon from the system tray. When I click on the system try icon, the PC thinks for 10 seconds or so and then the warning window pops up.

2.jpg

Why did this happen and how can it be fixed? I just recently bought the phone and I've only installed a few apps: Temple Run, Rocket Player, iSyncr, and Easy Phone Sync (my first try at music syncing before I switched to iSyncr).

Thanks in adavance,

-=John

Labels (1)
0 Likes
Re: Galaxy S3 message "Your device's current firmware version is not supported to update firmware." when USB connected to PC
DonaldM

I saw this as well. I have received the Samsung software OTA upgrade so I not sure what the upgrade via the assistant is for.

0 Likes
Re: Galaxy S3 message "Your device's current firmware version is not supported to update firmware." when USB connected to PC
JohnRRocha
Enthusiast - Level 3

I've also found that the the repair option for the VZW Software Upgrade Assistant - Samsung doesn't work. The button to start the process doesn't work.

0 Likes
JohnRRocha
Enthusiast - Level 3

I just spent about 90 minutes with online chat and they indicated the problem is with the repair assistant software, not with the phone.

They are going to open a case internally to fix their software.

I don't know. I feel a bit skeptical, but hopeful at the same time. Their recommendation was to uninstall the Verizon PC apps, because they are giving the error. But that feels odd to me. Sort of like putting black tape over the check engine light on your car.

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

I'm sure this is a "head scratcher" for you, JohnRRocha.
Let me get some additional details in order to narrow this down.
When you plug the GSIII into the computer, what are you looking to do? (Charge, transfer files, etc.)
Which software version do you have on your SIII? Have you tried to plug it in to a different computer? Are you using the USB cable that came with the phone?
I know that is quite a few questions, but we want to narrow this down to get the best resolution for you.

Tamara H.
Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport

0 Likes
JohnRRocha
Enthusiast - Level 3

Hello Tamara,

Answers below.

When you plug the GSIII into the computer, what are you looking to do? (Charge, transfer files, etc.)

I plug the GSIII into the computer for charging, or for file transfer, or for the updates from the Verizon update assistant.

Which software version do you have on your SIII?

Screenshot_2013-07-02-09-45-28.png

Have you tried to plug it in to a different computer?

Yes. I've plugged into my work laptop and the error notification does not come up. But that makes sense because I haven't installed the Verizon software onto my work laptop. Nor will I. That's against company policy.

Also on my home computer the errors went away when I removed the Verizon applications from my PC (at the chat helps suggestion) and came back when I reinstalled the Verizon applications.

Are you using the USB cable that came with the phone?

Yes.

barakca

I am having the same problem.  I just got the S4 and I am trying to transfer files from my S3 to my computer to then transfer them to the S4.

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Thanks for making sure your phone is staying up to date, DonaldM. The Device Software Upgrade Assistant is a fantastic new tool that you shouldn't need to use very often. It's meant to help customers who either need to upgrade their phone software but it may not be coming through successfully over the air, and also to help customers repair a software update that came through but may not be working properly. For more about this great new tool, please take a look at http://vz.to/13s9bNr.

Jennifer_VZW
Please follow us on twitter @VZWSupport

0 Likes
JohnRRocha
Enthusiast - Level 3

Hi Jennifer_VZW,

The problem is. This fantastic new tool doesn't work with the version of Android Software that is currently installed on our phones. So if we needed this wonderful functionality, it wouldn't work because it's not compatible with the latest version of firmware that has been pushed out to our phones.

I tried to use it recently. It doesn't work because of the issues reported on this page. It won't do anything with my phone.

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Hi JohnRRocha! I believe we're in the home stretch in getting this mystery unraveled. You mention that you don't see this happen when you've attached your GS III to other PC's. Do you recall what operating systems were used on the other PC's (including their Service Pack numbers, if applicable)?

Dion_VZW
Please follow us on twitter @VZWSupport

0 Likes