Can you downgrade a smartphone to a basic phone
CJMac02

Before I begin, please note that we share texting, calling, and 6GB of data a month.

Basically, we recently added a fourth line for my sister to use with an HTC 8X, but she decided to go back to Straight Talk because it is better for her. After this, because I'd already had a broken iPhone 4, I put the 8X on my line and the iPhone 4 on the line we created for my sister. We are paying $40 a month for an extra smartphone, but I'm wondering if I switch my sisters line with the iPhone to a basic flip phone, can I drop that $40 a month? Any help is much appreciated!

Labels (1)
0 Likes
Re: Can you downgrade a smartphone to a basic phone
anonymouslurker
Contributor - Level 1

Yes you can switch that line to a basic phone. The monthly fee will drop from $40 to $30 a month. Still a lot for a line that is not being used. You should ask your sister for the ETF so you can cancel the line.

Not applicable

The ETF would be $350 minus $10 per month completed on her contract.  But for that price, you got a new phone.

SydneyK
Master - Level 3

I agree with anonymouslurker. Tell your sister that since she's saving so much with Straight Talk, she can pay the ETF. Otherwise, as already stated, replacing a smartphone with a basic phone will only save you $10/month on the family share plan.

0 Likes
strawberrieberet

I don't need my Droid Razr smartphone anymore and my upgrade date is next month. Can I downgrade back to a verizon basic phone I owned before my Droid Razr?  or do I have to upgrade to a new basic phone?

0 Likes
AggieT
Enthusiast - Level 3

I asked the same question in 2010 and the answer was, yes you can inactive your smartphone and not to pay data whenever you don't use your smartphone. Even I deactivated it for a few months in 2011 when I was out of country and I didn't have to pay for data (not sure about the other details as I wasn't our plan manager)

0 Likes
SuzyQ
Community Leader
Community Leader

strawberrieberet wrote:

I don't need my Droid Razr smartphone anymore and my upgrade date is next month. Can I downgrade back to a verizon basic phone I owned before my Droid Razr?  or do I have to upgrade to a new basic phone?

You can swap phones any time.  You don't need to wait till next month to put the basic phone back on your line and drop the data plan,  Just be sure you drop the plan at the start of a new billing cycle - set the plan change to take effect with your NEXT billing cycle.

0 Likes