iphone will use my 2gb data limit instead of my wifi
jfl5625

I dont know if this is right so please feel free to let me know what you think about these two issues

I upgraded my sons phone and lost his unlimited data plan to a 2GB plan. The day of the upgrade, after the upgrade, we came home and he transfered all his music to his new phone. First, the change from unlimited to 2GB started immediately, which meant instead of finishing out this billing cycle as unlimited I was prorated for a few days of the new plan which made us go over the limit. That sounds like really bad customer service.

Second, it seems that even if you are in tour house, and your phone recognizes the wifi, it will not change from vellular until you go into the settings and disable the cellular data. This means that even when you think you should be downloading over wifi you are still on Verizon network chewing up data limits.

Really expect more from Verizon.

Labels (1)
0 Likes
Re: iphone will use my 2gb data limit instead of my wifi
luv7dogz

When you sign a new contract it goes into effect that day as soon as you sign it.  As far as the phone issue I have a Note 2, iPad 3 and iPod touch and they all pick up wifi automatically and use it. My husbands iPhone does too without using cellular data. I would double check all my settings again. Make sure you have it set to use wifi for updates also. I believe if you turn off the data you won't receive some text messages. This problem however would be an Apple issue not Verizons.

0 Likes
B33
Legend

Well on my Android Razr's i got them set up so that when i get Home they Automatically switch to Wi-Fi and shut off the 4G off  now i still have unlimited services but even thought i do my phones tend to run at Cooler Temps when connected to the Wi-Fi the reason Solid Signal as to having to reconnect to the Towers).

But there should be setting in the Wi-Fi settings area that you can check that shuts the phones Data indicator off  if Not there Might be and app in iToons that can do it Let me do some Searching.. see what i can find..

By the Way what kind of iPhone is it ? 

0 Likes
B33
Legend

Since your New to this Phone i assuming it's a iPhone 5  or  a 4 S  i posted the Manual for the both of them it is in PDF format Just click on the Link of which phone you own..  b33

http://manuals.info.apple.com/en_US/iphone_ios5_user_guide.pdf

http://www.verizonwireless.com/multimedia/mim/apple_iphone5/iphone_user_guide.pdf

0 Likes
bewilderedmom

you need to set it up for your wifi on your phone settings

0 Likes
budone
Legend

In addtiion to the other suggestions, I believe there is a default with Apple that WiFi connections are shut down after a predetermined time and the connection defaults back to cellular. You may want to check that also

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Jfl5625, I'll be happy to help clarify your concerns with your son's new phone and plan. As others have mentioned, when upgrading and signing a new contract, your new plan goes into effect the same day. This can cause proration depending on your bill cycle. Both lines should also have received alerts letting you know of your usage.

For the wifi issue, it should automatically pickup your wifi once it is turned on. As budone stated though, the phone will switch to cellular after it is idle. This is by Apple design to save battery consumption. There should be minimal usage unless applications are running in the background. Here are some steps to close running apps http://bit.ly/TomdWF. If the phone is not connecting to wifi without data being turned off, first try forgetting the network then setting it up again. Also reset your network settings if no change http://bit.ly/OPvlTq (steps will be same for all iPhones).

MarquiaF_VZW
Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport

0 Likes