Re: Samsung Stratosphere won't charge
j_dale

We are having the same problem with my daughter's phone.  The funny thing is we have the same phone so I charge mine and switch batteries with her and charge mine again.  It works but it's a big pain in the butt.  This also tells us that the battery is not bad and neither is the charger.  We have reset it and all that other stuff.  It's just her phone.  I'm taking it up to Verizon tomorrow because I am so over it!!  We paid really good money for that phone (which is a replacement from insurance that cost more than we paid for it).  If it wasn't for the fact that A-we're under contract and B-Verizon is the only company that gets decent service around here I would just drop them and move to a cheaper company.  I pay way too much money for a phone she can't use majority of the time.  UGH!

0 Likes
wturber
Enthusiast - Level 2

Following up.  My phone is working well now.  What I did was.

1) Use canned air to blow out the USB connector on the phone.

2) Use a toothpick tip and gently brushed the five metal contacts on the phone's USB connector

3) Powered phone down and sprayed electrical contact cleaner on the USB connector and repeatedly plugged a new cord into and out of the socket.

4) Am using a 1amp car power supply and only high quality A/C power supplies

5) Using only the OEM cable or a new cable.  Any cable that gives me spotty charging gets tossed or set aside.

Since doing these things my phone charging has become stable and reliable. All the previous problems have gone away.  So right now it seems like the probably culprit for my problems was a dirty connector.

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Dear j_dale,

Good morning. I understand how frustrating it can be for your phone not to be charging. I want to thank all of our community members for such great suggestions and information provided thus far. It would be my pleasure to address your equipment concerns.

How old is your daugthers phone? When you look at the charging port on her phone, do you notice any wear and tear? I understand you have already tried a hard reset and different chargers with no success. If the device has no physical or water damage and is still under the one year manufactures warranty, we may replace the device with the same make and model. In the event the device has physical or water damage and you have insurance, you may file an insurance replacement option. To file an insurance claim claim http://bit.ly/07CrqPK . Should you need a replacement device under the manufactures warranty, please follow us and send us a direct message with a good contact number to reach you, mobile number and account verification. Have a great day!

Thank You,
MichelleS_VZW
VZW Support
Follow us on Twitter @VZWSUPPORT

0 Likes
cavi01
Enthusiast - Level 3

I'm having the same issue. I try 2 different cables and it took long to charg but it charge only a few percent. So what i did to fix it, is on the end of the usb cable there is 2 small metal stick that is flat and is bendable. Use something flat, i use my nail, where you can pop it up a little, so when you connect the cable to the phone it will do a full connection so that it can do a full charge on the samsung statosphere. Since i read a comment that said is a hardware issue, which i know it was, now i know where was to fix it. Hope you find those 2 small metal stick, Probably want to use a microscope in order to see it. But it worked.

0 Likes
hawkhead99
Enthusiast - Level 2

I was having the same problem as you guys with my phone not charging (even though it said it was), I even switched to my backup blackberry because I got sick of dealing with it...  I tried a solution here by 98tadriver that actually worked: https://community.verizonwireless.com/thread/79258

Check the metal prong where you plug in your charger - it seems to get bent slightly downward (it did on mine anyway) - make sure it is exactly in the middle of the hole (I used tweezers to bend it back) and charging should be restored.

(be careful)

hrfixit

I just back from the Verizon store and they refuse to believe that this  Samsung Stratosphere charging issue exists. All they could offer me was  the opportunity to buy a new phone. No loaner while I sent my dead  Stratosphere away for analysis, and no exchange because my warranty had  just run out. How convenient. This is a chronic, well-documented problem  now and Verizon and Samsung should step up and stand behind their  product and customers.
This is almost at scam level now. I am going to continue to try and get  some resolution to my immediate problem, but the issue is bigger than  that.

0 Likes
SimonDusty

Where did you purchase the batteries and charger for Samsung stratosphere?

0 Likes
acoblen1

Having the same problem with my Stratosphere. Only 3 months old and I've been through about 6 different chargers it also overheats and turns off by itself. I still have to turn it in all directions to charge it just so I can have a phone. The Verizon store is also no help. They tried to tell me nothing was wrong with it and had me purchase a $25 that stopped working on my phone yesterday. I can't upgrade for another year so I'm forced to borrow a family members upgrade. SO tired of these ****  phones. Verizon needs to step up their game.

0 Likes
soy10ley
Enthusiast - Level 1

My Samsung Stratosphere does not power up with it plugged in with the charger and no battery in it.

0 Likes
hypermom13
Enthusiast - Level 1

It is not the apps.  I am also on my replacement strastophere and the same thing is happening - it won't charged.  I have cleared out everything.  Why doesn't Verizon just admit it is a bad phone?  There are too many people with the same problem.  We are not new to using phones - so doesn't it seem strange that we all have the same problem on numerous phones and nothing changes?  I have a car charger, a battery charger and my regular charger - none of them work and my car charger is fairly new!