HTC Rhyme Not Updating and Freezing
linden12

I have not received the latest software update, and actually I'm not sure my phone has ever updated, although I've tried repeatedly.  The software version on the phone is 2.20.605.3 7ORD.  The phone has now started freezing randomly during the day and always at night; in the morning it will be frozen and displaying the time as 12:00 AM, for example.  I have been able to reset it by holding the power key for 10 seconds, but it takes several minutes to reboot - not good if I needed it in an emergency, and I'm missing calls when I don't realize it has frozen again. Any help?   Thank you.

0 Likes
Re: HTC Rhyme Not Updating and Freezing
laurend_vzw
VZ Employee Emeritus

Hey and any other HTC users that are having issues with updating your device:

Have you attempted to update your device?

What steps did you take to attempt the update?

What occurs when you attempt to the update?

Do you see any type of message after attempting to update the device?

If you could please respond to the questions above it would help our team to assist you and any others having this same issue. Thanks in advance for your feedback.

0 Likes
linden12

Thank you for responding to this issue!

I have tried repeatedly to update the software, from the Settings menu.  I go to Settings/Software update and click 'Check new'.  I get the 'Checking for new software' screen, and then it returns to the 'Software update' screen.  Nothing has happened. 

0 Likes
linden12

Any progress in resolving this problem?  I've now missed a couple of important calls, and the unreliability is frustrating and unacceptable. 

0 Likes
Michellel701

I believe I have the latest update, but ever since I finally downloaded it, my phone freezes at least once or twice a day. I have to turn it on/off and have also rebooted it. I agree with the reliability issue, I can't even use my alarm because it usually freezes during the night. I do have insurance, but will they only give me a refurbished phone. I have loved my rhyme up until this issue, but it quickly becoming a burden.

0 Likes
linden12

366 views, I've provided all of the requested information, and still no answers... . 

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Hi there linden12!

Getting the latest and greatest software is definitely important to make sure your phone is working at it's best! I will be more than happy to provide some additional options.

Thank you so much for all the troubleshooting you've already completed. In this case, you may have to hard reset your phone to have the software attempt to pull through.

Please read all of the details listed here http://vz.to/110sjQ8 including how to backup your phone prior to resetting.

Please let me know if you're able to pull the software after the reset!

Melissa_VZW
Please follow us on twitter @VZWSupport

0 Likes
linden12

Melissa,

Thanks for your reply.

I'm reluctant to attempt a generic hard reset without knowing if it will

definitely address the problem of the phone freezing. Do you know if

the freeze problem only occurs with earlier software versions?

Regards,

Alma

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Hey linden12,

I understand your concern, but the phone freezing is not a known issue. Yes, the factory reset will erase all of the content on your phone, but if you back it up prior it is easy to restore.  This is the most effective troubleshooting step and resolves most issues.

Please keep us updated with results.

Nicholas_VZW
Please follow us on twitter @VZWSupport

0 Likes
linden12

Thanks for responding.

I do find it hard to believe that this is not a known issue with this

phone - I'm certainly not the only one experiencing this (see the post

from Michelle1701 on this thread, and

https://community.verizonwireless.com/message/935047#935047, for example).

I will let you know if I resolve this problem. With regard to the

software not updating, I've given up on that.

0 Likes