Why is my phone "Searching..." constantly?
Atlink

I purchased an iPhone 5 on pre-order day, and have had it now for a few weeks.  A few days ago, I noticed my service flicker from "Searching..." to "No Service" to "Verizon LTE".  I didn't think much of it, but in a few moments, it happened again.  And again.  And again.  Finally, my service went from 5 bars to 0, then "Searching...".  I left the phone alone for a while thinking there was maintenance being done on a tower, however, over the course of a few hours, I was still getting the "Searching..." message.  I've tried popping out the SIM card and re-seating it, I've tried resetting network settings, power cycling, hard rebooting (home and wake/sleep together until it resets)...  I have noticed however, that when I pop the SIM card out now, I don't get a "No SIM" message.  I just get a "Searching..." message.

I managed to get service back after a few hours of wondering, and a restore from backup (which was a fight in itself).  However, my phone has once again fallen silent, even though it was working perfectly fine yesterday.

Did I do something?  I've only dropped my phone once, and it was onto a carpeted surface from about knee high, so I highly doubt that was the cause.  Is it a SIM card problem?  I know it's not a service problem as my wife's phone (iPhone 5 on the same plan) is working flawlessly (and she's dropped hers a few times already).

Did I just get a defective model?  This is extremely frustrating, and my work requires that I have a phone, so the faster this can be answered, the better!!

Labels (1)
0 Likes
Re: Why is my phone "Searching..." constantly?
egrah57367
Enthusiast - Level 2

Take it to a verizon or apple store to have it checked. Is only sure way to find out what is wrong.

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Hello Atlink,  I can certainly feel your frustration as it is rare that a Verizon phone would be searching for service so frequently!  I apologize for the delayed response as I understand this definitely is a time sensitive matter.  Has the service been restored at this time?  You mentioned the phone was dropped but does it show any signs of physical damage?  I would be glad to provide support if still needed.

Thank You,

YaleK_VZW
Follow us on Twitter @VZWsupport 

0 Likes
HELP21111111

Has there been any resolution to this? my Iphone 5 is doing the same thing.

Thanks,

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Hello Help21111111

I know how important it is to have a working device! Let's work to together and get this resolved. What zip code are you in? Have you tried powering down and removing and reinserting the Sim card? Please try resetting the network. Here's how: http://support.verizonwireless.com/clc/devices/knowledge_base.html?id=64531&sayt=iphone 5 reset network setting*

Please let me know if this helps.

JoeL_VZW
Please follow us on twitter @VZWSupport

0 Likes
LakerFan2011

I've been able to pick up 3G inside my house for along time till about 3 weeks ago, my iPhone has been going from LTE to 3G to not even 3G. It hasn't been working as good around town either but most noticeable in our house. It doesn't seem like my moms signal has been as strong either. It's really frustrating when you go from LTE speeds to 3G, then let alone 3G to slower than that. I've already removed and reinserted Sim card and also reset my network settings. What else is there to do Verizon Wireless Customer Support? I'd like some answers. Thanks!

0 Likes
briand112233

My iPhone 5 is doing the same thing! It's been working great for months and all of a sudden, for the past 2 days, all it says is "Searching..." constantly with not change. I've done all the things Atlink (above) has done, with no results. I have no service whatsoever!!!

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Briand112233, Two days is too long to have this "Searching for service" issue. I'm here to help. I recommend that you update the network in Settings>General>Reset>Reset Network and then power your phone off/on to reset it. I trust that this will improve the performance of your device. Keep us posted. We're here for you. ^LH

0 Likes
Krish9

Since y'day my IPhone 5 is showing "searching" but some times it get connected but when I try to call then it will go again to "searching" mode .. I followed above mentioned process to reset the network settings but still no success. How to overcome this issue.

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

I know that its frustrating to have issues with your phone when you need to contact a friend or family member. Not know if it will connect is very upsetting. I'm sorry the mentioned suggestions did not work. Lets try removing and reinserting the SIM card to help with your issues. Make sure the phone is powered off first. Here are some steps? Also, whats your zipcode? We can check the area to look for any reported problems. Are the issues occuring inside or outside? At home only or when you leave the area? Is the phone damaged? Lets start with these few simple questions and we can get this resolved together. Keep us posted.

Kinquana_VZW
Please follow us on twitter @VZWSupport

0 Likes