Basic phone with app capability?
SerenaRay
Enthusiast - Level 2

<< Moved from the BlackBerry space for better exposure >>

Does anyone know of any basic phones that allow you download apps onto the phone? I want to be able to use apps but I do not and will not pay for a data plan. I know at&t has some basic phones that allow you download apps. I currently have a prepaid plan...i think. We do not have a two year contract and are paying month to month.

Also I have heard that you can have a smartphone on Verizon and not be forced to have a data plan if you have a prepaid plan. Is that true?

Message was edited by: Verizon Moderator

Labels (1)
0 Likes
Re: Basic phone with app capability?
Not applicable

SerenaRay wrote:

Does anyone know of any basic phones that allow you download apps onto the phone? I want to be able to use apps but I do not and will not pay for a data plan. I know at&t has some basic phones that allow you download apps. I currently have a prepaid plan...i think. We do not have a two year contract and are paying month to month.

Also I have heard that you can have a smartphone on Verizon and not be forced to have a data plan if you have a prepaid plan. Is that true?

I don't believe there are any basic phones that have that ability. I know in the past "Mobile Web" was available as well as the ability to download ringtones (cost $$$) and you could set up email accounts but again mobile web cost $5 way back then.

Go to http://www.verizonwireless.com and look under pre paid and regular plans to see if pre pay has included unlimited data.

0 Likes
tikibar1
Community Leader
Community Leader

Depends on what you mean by wanting to use apps.  As noted above, mobile web-enabled basic phones do have the capability of downloading apps, but there are very few apps available and most are games.  There is a charge for the apps, and to download them requires data (and thus a data charge).

Any smartphone activated on Verizon's network requires a data plan.  Basic and feature phones do not require a data plan on a post-pay Verizon account, but a number of feature phones require a data plan on a pre-pay plan.

0 Likes
SerenaRay
Enthusiast - Level 2

Have you heard anything about being able to have a smartphone without the data if you don't buy the phone from Verizon?

0 Likes
SerenaRay
Enthusiast - Level 2

I mean apps as in the app store.

0 Likes
tikibar1
Community Leader
Community Leader

As noted in the other post, if you activate a smartphone on Verizon's network, you are required to have a data plan.

0 Likes
tikibar1
Community Leader
Community Leader

No, basic phones cannot access apps in the smartphone app stores.  They are limited to the few apps available through Verizon's media store.

0 Likes
SuzyQ
Community Leader
Community Leader

SerenaRay wrote:

I mean apps as in the app store.

If you want to download apps from the Google app store or Apple store without a data plan, your best option is to use a wifi-only tablet or iPad.  It doesn't need a data plan from any carrier, you can download and connect whenever wifi is available, and a lot of the games and apps will work without wifi as well.

0 Likes
Not applicable

as stated by others no. A data plan is required. As also stated you could purchase a tablet like a Sony Android device or an Apple iPad. I use both without cellular and they are cheaper that way. I just received an email stating the Apple iPad mini is now $199.00 at Walmarts. I noted today online that Best Buy is selling them around the same price to get ready for the new ipads. bargains are out there.

0 Likes
Not applicable

First of all basic phones don't have the hardware to run the apps on the apps store. Second since basic phones don't have wi-fi how would you download and use the apps without a data plan? So sounds like you want a phone that can runs apps and use wi-fi which that is called a smartphone. It's funny how so many people claim they only want basic phones but then want smartphone features on them.

0 Likes