LG Spectrum 2 Randomly Shutting Off
bypeep
Enthusiast - Level 1

I had only had my LG Spectrum 2 activated for about 2 hours when I noticed that it had shut off. I thought it was a fluke. Then, an hour later, it had shut itself off again. Last night I kept it by the bed to use as an alarm clock. Little good the alarm clock does when it shuts off in the middle of the night. The battery charge is full so it's not simply running out of juice and shutting off. It doesn't seem to be overheating, it seems more like after a long period of inactivity it just decides to shut off. I cannot receive calls when it does this. It's not making me feel very comfortable as I have shut off our landline phones to use these cells exclusively and now I have to check the darn thing every few minutes to make sure it's still on so I can receive calls.

Any idea why this is happening?

Labels (1)
Re: LG Spectrum 2 Randomly Shutting Off
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Hey there bypeep.  I am glad to hear that you purchased the LG Spectrum 2.  It is a great device, but I am sorry to hear that it is giving you so many issues outside of the box. Lets get you up and running with your brand new box. I apologize for the delayed response. I hope this post finds you with your Spectrum 2 up and running.

After activating the device, did you install any third party applications?  It could be an application downloaded from the Play Store that could be giving you an issue.  Please place your device into safe mode, http://vz.to/10gWWOr and test the functionality. While in safe mode, you'll be able to use the phone for calls, texts and the browser.  It will disable the third party applications on the phone, so you won't be able to use them while in safe mode. If the phone performs as it should without shutting off, the issue is being caused by a third party application that we would need to look at removing.

Please try safe mode for me bypeep and keep us updated.

NickB_VZW
VZWSupport
Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport

0 Likes
pgomez66

Hello NickB_VZW,

I have also experienced this issue with my LG SPectrum 2. When I go to bed I set my alarms on the phone only to discover in the morning that my phone has shut itself off. I have not downloaded any apps on my phone and it works perfectly normal  during the day when I am using it. Its only when I let it stand alone I.E. night time that it seems to take matters into its own hands and shut off. Any other tips on this. I have tried safe mode and like I said my phone works fine during the day and only has the issue when it stands alone for an extended period of time. Its not the battery or doesn't seem to be as its always on full charge and works perfectly fine. Any help would be appreciated.

0 Likes
Rennie112303

I am experiencing the same thing with my Spectrum 2!  It has been shutting off randomly.  At first I thought I was accidentally hitting the power button when it was in my pocket, but it has happened overnight and while in other locations outside of my pocket.  I have downloaded some apps from the Play Store, but have it in safe mode right now.  We will see if that helps.

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Hi pgomez66!

I am sorry to learn that your phone is not working as expected and it power off by itself at night. My wife has the same model phone and she experienced the same issue, I did a factory reset http://vz.to/TxE2ys to resolve any potential system file errors and she reports that phone has not powered off by itself since (about 3 weeks ago). Please give it a try and keep us posted.

AntonioC_VZWSupport
Follow us on Twitter at www.twitter.com/VZWSupport

0 Likes
pgomez66

Thanks Antonio,

I did the factory reset and it is working at least for the past night. I will give an update when it has been further along but I was able to wake up to my alarm this morning!

Thanks.

0 Likes
Rob_Rice

My LG Spectrum 2 has done this since I got it months ago.  I'm dismayed that there is no solution offered.  I would like for people to be able to reach me, that's what a phone is for.  I don't like picking it up and finding it shut off, and I don't know for how long.  It does it at night mostly, but has shut off during the day twice.

Of course there are third party apps on it, what's the point in having a smart phone if you can't run apps?

I did a total reset once, that did not fix the problem.  I've kept the software updated, this seems to affect it.  Last time I updated the software, it stopped happening for a month or two.  This past weekend I updated the software, and it has shut down at least twice since then.

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

You deserve nothing less than a phone that will power on and stay powered on, Rob_Rice. Can you tell me which software version you have on your phone? Go to Apps>Settings>About Phone>Software information.

TamaraH_VZW
Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport

0 Likes
Rob_Rice

Android Version

Baseband version

VS93022A-M8960A-AAAANAZM-1.0.019008

Kernel Version

3.4.0-perf-g5e0112d

Build Number

JZO54K

Software Version

VS93022A

0 Likes
tominthewind

Like others i also have experienced the same symptoms since i have owned it from the first day.

At one point i talked to LG customer support the answer they had was to try a factory reset and if that did not work to send it in for repair. Then at Verizon they said was probably a software issue and a factory reset would not be the answer. I wish someone would come up answers.

Android version

baseband version

VS93021B-M8960A-AAAANAZM-1.0.019008

kernel version

3.4.0-perf-gb966c7d

build number

JZO54K

softwware version

VS93021B

0 Likes