Jelly Bean Killed My Razr, VZ Customer Service Killed My Attitude...
StormJunkie_com
Enthusiast - Level 2

Jelly Bean was forced to my Droid Razr this morning.  The phone was plugged in to the charger and fully charged (I was still in bed when I saw the notification).  So Jelly Bean started downloading...I fell back asleep knowing update would take a little time.  When I woke up the phone was powered down and provided no response to the power button. 

I went to the local Verizon store and was told I have only two options.  They can send me a replacement which will not be here until Tues (It's Sat morning), or I can pay full retail for a new phone (Bet they would like that).  So I had the store put me on the phone with what I thought was Customer Retention, but it was nothing more than the Customer Service department.  At first they told me they could offer me an early upgrade, but then came back and said they could not do that.  They also told me that if they had offered an early upgrade then it would have been mailed to me and not something I could pick up in the store. 

I have been a customer with Verizon for 10 years and depending on whether I had an air card or not, my bill has always run between $100 and $150 a month.  I will try and get in touch with Customer Retention on Monday, but the local store told me that "Verizon doesn't care about Customer Retention...We don't have that department anymore".  Ok, so they did not say the first part of that out loud, but if they truly don't have a customer retention department any more then that is exactly what they are telling me.  For them to think that going without a phone for four days is an acceptable answer for something that is not my fault is just wrong.  They claim their "hands are tied" because it happened on Saturday.  I guess no one around Verizon has authority to care about or make smart decisions regarding customer service, especially on the weekend.  And I don't want to hear how this is Motorola or Google's fault.  I bought the phone from Verizon, and I pay my bill to Verizon.  YOU maintain your network Verizon.  I will be looking at Sprint, AT&T, or even Cricket if Verizon doesn't make an effort to fix this.  Apparently my AT LEAST $12,000 over the past 10 years means nothing to you so I won't give you another $12k if you are not going to improve the customer service.

Anyway, my phone would not do anything with the power and down volume or any other combination of keys.  Plugging in to a charger does nothing either.  I do get the white light of death when plugging USB cable to computer. 

Anyone having similar issues with Jelly Bean, or have any suggestions for getting phone to power back up?

Thanks!

Labels (2)
0 Likes
Re: Jelly Bean Killed My Razr, VZ Customer Service Killed My Attitude...
HawaiiBKC
Contributor - Level 1

Of course a lot of people have been having the same problems with the update, and a replacement device at no cost to you would be a great option.

Don't see where the 10 years thing comes in handy here, but okay.

Seems like it'll take a bit longer just because it is the weekend, and FedEx / UPS / USPS normally don't ship out on the weekends, hence the possible longer waiting time.

No blame can be really placed on Motorola / Verizon / Google.

Google made the OS that was approved by Verizon to be placed on your Motorola phone.

Now how does Verizon's network relate to this? Of course you have the option to check out what other carriers have to offer, just be advised of all the fees that come with the switch (not including the early termination fee).

"Anyway, my phone would not do anything with the power and down volume or any other combination of keys.  Plugging in to a charger does nothing either.  I do get the white light of death when plugging USB cable to computer."

Warranty the phone.

0 Likes
StormJunkie_com
Enthusiast - Level 2

The problem is that a warranty phone should NEVER take four days to get to a customer.  IF Verizon had any employees that cold make a decision on the weekend then I likely would have been willing to pay for an upgraded phone in store AND resigned a contract.  Now I will be looking to at other options unless Verizon chooses to make it right. 

>Comment deleted. Person you speak of is not a VZW employee.<

Message was edited by: Verizon Moderator

0 Likes
Ann154
Community Leader
Community Leader

StormJunkie_com wrote:

The problem is that a warranty phone should NEVER take four days to get to a customer.  IF Verizon had any employees that cold make a decision on the weekend then I likely would have been willing to pay for an upgraded phone in store AND resigned a contract.  Now I will be looking to at other options unless Verizon chooses to make it right. 

btw...You sound like a good employee toting the company line.

This is a peer to peer customer forum.  The person who respond earlier as well as myself is just another customer like you.

I'm most definitely NOT a VZW employee. If a post answered your question, please mark it as the answer.

0 Likes
Not applicable

You are 1 of 93,000,000 customers, all of which pay their monthly fees and receive service in return.  You won't get special treatment.  Terms and conditions are spelled out in your 2 year contract.

0 Likes
StormJunkie_com
Enthusiast - Level 2

You are exactly right Jim.  "93 million...Why do we need to care about anyone?"  My point is that if this is there T&C, Vision, & Mission...then they do not need my business.  I pay their premium prices because I expect premium services.  All they really want is for you to sign that contract and then shut up and take what ever they dish.  I did not request Jelly Bean.  I did not ask for it to destroy my phone on a Saturday.  All I asked is that my $244 per month be respected and that they provide me with a way to communicate with clients, family, and friends.  Last time I checked, that IS why I pay them anything at all.

Ann, it may not be official, but VZ reps do monitor these forums.  And I should rephrase...It is not that they do not have employees capable of making decisions...It is that Verizon as a company no longer empowers any employee to make a critical decision.

0 Likes
Not applicable

You are right.  Verizon does not guarantee a replacement phone will be in your hands within a matter of hours any day of the week or time of day or night.  For most people, that is not necessary.  If I was you, I would have gone to WalMart and bought a "throw-away" pre-paid phone to use for 48 to 72 hours, if I felt it was that important. 

Another option could have been to add another line of service to your account and purchase a new subsidized phone.  You could then activate the new phone on your old line to keep your old phone number and unlimited data plan.  You could cancel one of your other lines as soon as it expired.

Of course it's too late now, but a factory reset and clearing the cache before the JB install would probably have prevented this problem in the first place.  I did that about 2 weeks ago when I heard JB was coming.

0 Likes
Dorkmaster
Contributor - Level 2

Hate to be the kill joy here, but I think you are being little unreasonable. They said they would replace it, just have to wait till Tuesday. They will overnight it to you, order goes in Monday, you WILL have it Tuesday by end of business day. Did you ask if they had your phone in stock? Seems like the older Razr's are having the problem, I don't believe they sell those out of the stores anymore. If you are that upset, have them send you the replacement, leave and sell the replacement to recoup some of the cost of changing carriers.

0 Likes
StormJunkie_com
Enthusiast - Level 2

If Verizon had wanted me to clear the cache and do a factory reset (...more hassle for me...) then they should have recommended that prior to sending JB out.

And what I hear you saying is that I should go spend my dollars to compensate for either a poor product, or a poor update...Either of which were sold/given by VZW. 

0 Likes
Not applicable

No, I'm actually saying you should have let them send you a replacement, refurbished phone per your contract.  If it's so important and you have other needs, it's up to you to deal with those, not Verizon.  Maybe you should have read your contract before you signed it.  Few things in life are perfect.

0 Likes