Droid 4 not connecting to wifi after JB update
tnsirmans

I've read about the same problem with the other phones running JB.  Some suggest replacing the router.  We shouldn't have to replace the router.  The wifi radio on my D4 had excellent strength until the JB update and now the signal is poor.  Anyone else find that odd?  Could it be that Verizon/Motorola is the problem????  Has anyone experiencing the same issue found any possible solutions? 

Labels (1)
0 Likes
Re: Droid 4 not connecting to wifi after JB update
Not applicable

If you have been reading the posts here you will know that a factory reset can be done, a simple forget network and then find your network may help. I advocate a firmware update to your router if one is available, a unplg and let both the modem and router to cycle clear and replug back in (modem first, then router and then your phone)

I also read that it may be your modem and most if not all broadband companies will allow you to swap out for new for free.

I know Time Warner just lets you walk into their offices and swap. No hassle

Try the firmware update, if your router is old it may be a good idea to buy another one. The prices are ranging from low to high. Remember you get what you pay for.

Good Luck

0 Likes
tnsirmans

I did try to forget the network.  When I do, the signal strength goes up to excellent.  When I try to reconnect, the signal strength is reduce to so much that the phone will not connect.  Tried several times.  Funny how a factory reset seems to always be the "magic fix."  I can not buy a new router (wouldn't anyways).  I have to use a specific kind of router/gateway combo for my ISP, therefore I rent my router from them.  Besides, there should be no reason to buy a new router when the one a have worked just fine before the update.  I will check for firmware updates though.  It would be easier if Verizon or Motorola would fix what they broke, considering the amount of money we pay them.

0 Likes
tnsirmans

So, factory reset does not fix it (shocking I know.)  No support for my DSL gateway from the manufacturer.  Nice.  After doing more digging, this is not isolated to just the D4, but all devices receiving JellyBean.  Apparently, Motorola decided not to put in some support in this update for certain models of routers.  Mine just happens to be on that list.  Thanks Motorola.  Here are some models I found to not be compatible with JB:

Actiontec Gt724-WG

Netgear DG834GT

Netgear DG934G (Sky Version)

Lynksys WRTP54G

Motorola Netopia 3347-02

Siemens gigaset SE567

Actiontec GT701 -WG

Westell VersaLink 327W

Maybe this will help some in trying to diagnose the problem, or make you as mad as I am.

0 Likes
Not applicable

I can agree its a bad deal when an update is going to cause so much grief. Your internet provider can replace your combo modem and router with an updated one. Many cable and dsl providers will have no problem doing this for their customer.

The list will help others however, that was nice of you to give the list.

You did know that you can seperate a combo into a modem and then a router? You need only pick up a new seperate router and split the functions.

But try getting another combo from your provider first.

0 Likes
Ann154
Community Leader
Community Leader

Elector wrote:

I can agree its a bad deal when an update is going to cause so much grief. Your internet provider can replace your combo modem and router with an updated one. Many cable and dsl providers will have no problem doing this for their customer.

The list will help others however, that was nice of you to give the list.

You did know that you can seperate a combo into a modem and then a router? You need only pick up a new seperate router and split the functions.

But try getting another combo from your provider first.

I agree with the idea of splitting the modem and router into two units.  That's how mine is setup, but they are now both over five years old.  I am planning to replace the router this year since I am seeing issues with various devices connecting to it.

I'm most definitely NOT a VZW employee. If a post answered your question, please mark it as the answer.

0 Likes
Not applicable

Ann I originally used a Motorola Cable modem supplied by Time Warner it was old many years old and a docis 2 and with docis 3 rolling out it was a thought in back of my mind for the future. I used originally a Linksys Router WRT54Gs and it was old and connections were not staying and the firmware updates were done because of the age.

I then thought a new router would be in order, so I bought another Linksys which was now a Cisco and quite frankly the connections were terrible. I tried the newest Cisco after and it also was terrible.

At this time my Time Warner connection decided to start charging a modem rental fee of $4.50 a month. Frankly with the crappy constant resetting from TW I decided to purchase my own cable modem and set it up myself. The Motorola modem that was raved about was not available so I opted for the $190 combo modem/router by Motorola of course it will pay for itself in 2-3 years but it is mine.

I also before that purchased a new A/C Netgear Router R6300 and the highest the motorola combo had was "N" so I disabled the router portion and connected my Netgear router and I have to say it is 100% trouble free.

But as you know a high end device is very costly. but to me its worth it for not having the agrivation.

0 Likes
tnsirmans

Yes, I knew I could do that.  The point is Motorola taking away the support.  That just frustrates me.  Why would you take away support and create a problem with the only solution being to replace hardware, which means spending money for some?   

0 Likes
Not applicable

it must be a shocker when devices that worked before are not inoperable due to an update.

My suggestion which would cost you zero dollars is to have your isp give you a new combo system. Most companies use more than one company. And to save a customer they will do it.

Another thought is your isp may be able to flash your home combo system so it functions with your cell.

What must be realized is that many other devices coming on the market may also not work with older modems and routers and combo devices. Your isp would not be responsible if none of these devices function. The maker of your devices as long as they try to accommodate the customer via telling you what is and is not compatable has done their obligation to the customer.

0 Likes
Crobinso

I'm sorry, but the answers here are unacceptable. It is ridiculous for Verizon to expect all of their Droid 4 owning customers to update their routers. You can make generalizations about our situations all you like, it's unacceptable. It's no wonder so many users choose to run custom ROMS.

0 Likes