Hotspot App that works with Jelly Bean
habeebee27
Enthusiast - Level 2

Hello,

I just updated to Jelly Bean on my Droid Razr last night. The update itself went well, but afterwards my hotspot app Fox Fi is no longer working as a Wifi Hotspot. It'll only work as a USB tether or Bluetooth network, neither of which is what I need. When I try to activate it Wifi Hotspot the message is that Verizon has blocked it on Jelly Bean. I'm upset because that App was very helpful and I used it alot. I'm hoping Verizon will allow Wifi hotspot again soon.  In the meantime, is there another hotspot app anyone can recommend?

Thanks!

Labels (2)
0 Likes
Re: Hotspot App that works with Jelly Bean
habeebee27
Enthusiast - Level 2

Just wanted to add that going to the Share Everything plan is not appealing to me because I'd be paying more!

0 Likes
Spiral
Master - Level 1

The problem is that FoxFi has not (or can not) update their app to make it work with the Jelly Bean OS.  I suggest sending the app developers an email requesting they update the app so that it works with your new OS. 

Sorry, I do not know of any other apps to give you the same capabilities while using Jelly Bean.  I personally have not upgraded my RMHD to JB as I did not want to lose the advantage FoxFi provides to my smartphone experience.

0 Likes
habeebee27
Enthusiast - Level 2

Thanks for the reply Smiley Happy Seems the problem is on Verizon's end because they're blocking the feature.  I'm hoping it'll get straightened out soon. Yeah if I had known beforehand this would happen, I probably wouldn't have updated either lol. Oh well, things are always 'interesting' after a system update

0 Likes
Ann154
Community Leader
Community Leader

Maybe they are "blocking" it because you aren't paying for it correctly?

I pay for the mobile hotspot feature on my account and the stock hotspot settings work for me on my Nexus and Thunderbolt.

I'm most definitely NOT a VZW employee. If a post answered your question, please mark it as the answer.

0 Likes
Spiral
Master - Level 1

If you look at the compatibility list from the FoxFi web site you see that devices using Jelly Bean are not supported (NOT A CARRIER ISSUE).  The application needs to be updated to work with the new OS.

http://foxfi.com/help/devices.php

0 Likes
habeebee27
Enthusiast - Level 2

Thanks for the link Smiley Happy Hmmmm the message in the App said 'your carrier might have blocked this feature on Jelly Bean'. They might be playing the blame game, or maybe that's a generic message not applicable to everyone.  I'm hoping it's on Fox Fi's side cause an update would hopefully fix it! I guess I'll just have to be a bit patient.

0 Likes
habeebee27
Enthusiast - Level 2

I get where you're coming from but Verizon allowed the App to work on ICS. And they included hotspot in the new Share Everything plans at no cost. I don't think they'll be able to stop it for much longer anyway because I hear they'll probably be legally forced to allow hotspot apps. From what I've read, the government is calling it double-charging data and they won't be allowed to stop other options from being available; I can't post a link right now, but a quick google search will bring up information for anyone interested in reading more.

0 Likes
jgikas

Verizon has not blocked foxfi/pdanet.  They can't because they got sued last summer and must allow all third party wifi hotspot apps to be used.

The problem is that pdanet needs to update the app to be compatible with jelly bean.  It'll come soon-ish.

0 Likes
jgarza222

"Quoted by someone else...I have to use PDANet 3.5 on my GS2 and Pdanet Tablet on my Transformer Prime. You start up Pdanet on the phone. It starts Foxfi. Select Bluetooth. Then go to the tablet and start Pdanet Tablet. I was lost until I found this combo"

The above steps does work with PDANet and Jelly Bean on cell phone. I have a Droid 4, Verizon basic data plan, and a Galaxy 2 Tablet. Click later when tablet insists a WiFi connection is necessary and prompt goes away from then on. - Thanks.

http://forums.androidcentral.com/sprint-galaxy-nexus/215496-free-wifi-tether-stock-jelly-bean-2.html...

0 Likes