Re: Early termination fee
tikibar1
Community Leader
Community Leader

Brian68 wrote:

tikibar1 wrote:

Brian68 wrote:

aztheroth wrote:

Another down that Verizon has is that, at least for me, all my family and friends are from Puerto Rico. Verizon's family and friends doesn't cover phone numbers from Puerto Rico, even when it's a US territory, while other carriers does have unlimited any mobile, including Puerto Rico.

Defintely I'm leaving.

On Share Everything you get UNLIMITED minutes to ANY number.

That's true, but it doesn't cover Puerto Rico.  As the poster stated, other carriers include Puerto Rico, but Verizon charges international long distance rates and airtime charges when calling Puerto Rico.

Really? Well then that's dumb of Verizon. Do they charge extra for calls to Alaska and Hawaii too?

Yes and no ... seriously.  It's my understanding that there are some plans that do not include calls to Alaska, but I don't think it's an issue for anyone to call Hawaii.

0 Likes
aztheroth

even with share everything I don't get access to Puerto Rico phones unless night and weekends. Also I don't want a shared data plan. AT&T, T-Mobile and Sprint, all those have Puerto Rico as a regular line on the US. Also with the carrier I'm chosing has unlimited texts, unlimited calls to any mobile (including PR) and unlimited data. I know data is not as fast as Verizon, but don't want to be tracking my data usage.

0 Likes
dmcg48

Hi,  Do you have any suggestions on how to leave Verizon and keep the cancellation fees down?

I too, have been with Verizon since it started.  The $200 montly fees, when using less than 500 mins, and only one smart phone with no data useage, is too too high.

My concern is knowing how to end the service with the least finanacial penalty.  Only one of my lines is on a contract, 3 lines are not.

And if possible, which company did you go to?

Thanks

Diane

0 Likes
dmcg48

This may seem like a silly question, but if the line (dumb phone, old $10 plan) does not have a contract, does it cost to move that line away from Verizon?

Thanks

0 Likes
tikibar1
Community Leader
Community Leader

nope

0 Likes
jeetaa6

Hey, there...do you mind if I blatantly plagiarize your letter to send to Verizon??  jk...not going to do that.

Would only need to substitute the goodwill favor I asked for this week and add in the horrible Chat service(misinformed or mislead twice) experienced this week.  Was given a discount code to use while upgrading 2 of our phones($25 saved on each one, I was told) but the code didn't work the next day.  Was told it would work by the Rep who gave it to me.  I saved ALL Chats in Word as proof.  Long story(chatted with 3 more reps towards a fix) but finally got a phone Customer Service "Leader" to credit $50 to my account to make it right.  That is good, but much pain over 3 days to get there.

Anyway.....I'm just ready to move on to Straight Talk or SOMETHING else out there as I'm paying >$300/month for 4 smartphones(going on 5 if I were to stick with VZ) and one basic phone.  Can't do this anymore.  Researching best options for the Nebraska area. 

I'm all ears for suggestions...just need to find out how much I'll be taking it further in the crotch for early terminations and whether to wait or not.

By the aggots they have me/us.

0 Likes
dmcg48

Hello...

You are welcome to use anything I wrote and change it to fit your situation...

I have a hard time finding the postings to the chats, so I am glad this came to me as an email...

One of the many frustrations I have with verizon is the one sided changes to what we sign up for. In the old days, for example, if you made change or terminated something, it was prorated.. now, if you do not know the exact day to make mchanges, you risk paying an additional month.

I am still researching Straight Talk...and porting numbers.....and I only have one of my 4 lines on a contract (1 smart, 3 dumb)....but if I onle keep my contracted line, that one line with 450 mins or 400 not sure, would run $90 a month, with my grandfathered unlimited data (which I do not use)....

Good luck....we need more affordable options, without the constant worry of extra charges....

Diane

Sent from my Verizon Wireless Droid

0 Likes
GT500Grad

Would changing your plan from a smart plan to a dumb plan, then canceling save you cancellation fee money?

0 Likes
tikibar1
Community Leader
Community Leader

no, because the Early Termination Fee is based on the last subsidized phone that you purchased, not on the current phone that's on the line.

0 Likes
GT500Grad

Thanks.  It was worth a try...

0 Likes