How do I completely turn off data roaming on my Samsung Galaxy S3??
BCCHowdy
Enthusiast - Level 2

Hi everyone,

Recently upgraded to the Samsung Galaxy S3 from a Droid Incredible.  On the Incredible it was pretty easy to turn off any kind of data while roaming.  Simply shut off 'mobile network'.  Done.  I could still place and receive calls with absolutely no data usage.

After upgrading to the S3 I went on a trip to Canada.  Here's what I did to disable data.

Open the notification bar and de-select 'Mobile Data'

Go to settings -> wireless and networks -> mobile networks -> global data roaming access -> Selected 'Deny data roaming access'

Note that the 'network mode' option the same page was set to 'Global' but given the other two options I thought this was enough.

When we landed I received notification that we in fact are using data on a roaming network, but given the options above I ignored it.  Sure enough when my bill comes there are several lines of 'global data pay as you go' or something to that effect.

So the question... how do I completely turn off data on this phone?  I'll be making several trips back to Canada in the near future and I don't want to be dinged for global data roaming every time.  How many options does it take to turn it off???

Thanks,

-Howdy

Labels (1)
0 Likes
Re: How do I completely turn off data roaming on my Samsung Galaxy S3??
BCCHowdy
Enthusiast - Level 2

*bump*

I've asked this question here and in xda-developers forums but nobody seems to have an answer.  Maybe a Verizon technical rep can provide an answer?

-Howdy

vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Hi BCCHowdy!

Oh no! I know unexpected data roaming charges can be very frustrating, so let's get this fixed. Turn off all mobile data and global roaming when traveling. Go to settings>More settings>mobile networks>Turn off mobile data &deny global access roaming. Hope this helps!

Thanks,
Pamelaf-vzw
Tweet us @vzwsupport

0 Likes
BCCHowdy
Enthusiast - Level 2

Hi Pamela,

Thanks for the response.

Deactivating 'Mobile Data' from the notification bar appears to uncheck the same box as going to settings>More settings>mobile networks>Turn off mobile data.  And we also selected 'deny global access roaming'.  I think we achieved the same but still had data charges.

Upon receiving the text message on arrival that our phone accessed mobile data while roaming, I also did some checks.  I attempted to browse the internet and access my corporate e-mail.  Both failed saying a data connection was not available.  I don't get it.

What about text messages?  I received a few text messages while over the border.  Would these show as data roaming?

Thanks,

-Howdy

0 Likes
BCCHowdy
Enthusiast - Level 2

Will somebody please respond to my latest reply?  I followed the instructions provided, yet my phone still accumulates global data charges.  Is there no way to turn data completely off?

-Howdy

0 Likes
Ann154
Community Leader
Community Leader

Does your phone still have the 4G/3G symbol in the notification bar even with the Mobile Data turned off? That should have shut down your access to the cellular data network.

Airplane mode works too, but you couldn't make any calls either.

I'm most definitely NOT a VZW employee. If a post answered your question, please mark it as the answer.

0 Likes
zzzz8

I had this problem as well when I travelled to Canada last year.  I'm planning to travel abroad again soon and I really don't want to run into this issue.  Can someone from Verizon answer this question in a definitive manner explaining why our phones went into global roaming even though we had it disabled on our S3 phones?

0 Likes