Re: Iphone 5: Incoming Calls won't go through.
2w
Enthusiast - Level 2

OK... after 4th new iphone and 3rd new sim card didn't solve the problem, the VZW tech support guy finally started investigating a VZW network issue.  He did find some obscure setting (that he indicated is not always on every phone line for some reason and why it is not in their normal checking procedures for this kind of issue). This obscure setting had something to do with "don't answer, call forwarding".  He didn't explain clearly, but he discussed with someone in Engineering after he found it.  This setting was set to "null".  He then set to a "proper value" based on Engineering input and it seems to have fixed my problem.  I'm not 100% sure yet, but since that setting was "set", I've not had the problem.  I will give it another week or two, but so far so good.  You might want to try this... you will have to get to at least a 2nd tier tech support person.  The normal tech support will not likely know anything about this setting as it was deep in the system.

cjhubbs
Enthusiast - Level 1

Wow, that sounds like it could be the specific issue with my wife's phone, since if I call her once, it goes to VM, but if I immediately call back, it rings through.  I wonder what my odds are of being able to just get Verizon to send me to 2nd tier tech support to look for this issue w/o having to jump through all the SIM card and phone replacement hoops?

0 Likes
lmesc

The exact same situation happened to my wife's iPhone5. We searched every conceivable setting with no luck. Then our son discovered the little button on the left side of the phone. It's the top button, called the Ringer/Mute switch. It was set to Mute. We changed it. Problem solved. I think the button gets accidentally switched. Amazingly, we could find no option to set/change Ringer/Mute in any of the onscreen settings.

0 Likes
2w
Enthusiast - Level 2

OK....I've finally got a fix for my issue.  Not sure if you are having the same problem but issues certainly sound similar.  I've been working for about 3 months with VZW second tier rep.  I've gone through 4 phones and 3 sim cards.  Turns out it was a line set-up issue.  Just after receiving my iphone5 i switched from one number to another both on VZW network but in different area codes.  I think this happened when the new number was set up.  There is a setting that the VZW tech support found using the VZW diagnostic tool that was described as M Pass.  Not sure that is the exact name or spelling.  There are a number of settings that this tool allows them to see for your specific line.  One of the settings: "Call forwarding busy/some markets" was set to null.  The tech guy wasn't familiar with this setting but the null setting bothered him.  He checked with Engineering and they gave him the right parameter setting for this setting.  Once he changed this to the correct parameter, it fixed my problem.  This was 3 weeks ago and I've gotten every call since.  Whether this solves yours or not i'm not sure but it is worth a try.  Good luck and i hope you find something that fixes as i do know how incredibly frustrating it can be.

0 Likes
alefkoff

2w, do you have contact information for the tier 2 rep that you can either post here or dm me? I'd rather try and avoid hours of calls to finally get someone familiar with the problem if it is possible. Much appreciated!

Sent from my iPhone

0 Likes
2w
Enthusiast - Level 2

His name was Jerry.  I don't know how to directly contact as he always contacted me.  He did indicate on the follow-up that the "M Pass" tool (not sure that is exact name or spelling) is available to first tier help desk personnel.  So they theoretically can find and fix.  If they try to find and can't they will likely refer you to 2nd tier desk.  That is what happened on mine (granted after multiple attempts to fix).  The key is to be firm (but friendly) that there is a problem and that all the other approaches have not worked and you've tried them all. 

0 Likes
AmySue919

I'm having the exact same problem with my iphone 5. Verizon keeps giving me the run around! I have never experienced any problems with other cell phone companies.

I have a business in my home and I need to have a phone that works. If they don't fix it I will never have Verizon again!

0 Likes