Can't hear a call unless IPhone 5 is on speaker or there are headphones in it
bkodish

Hi Everyone,

I am guessing that i just messed up a setting, but i can't seem to figure out what I did.  Currently, my new IPhone5 has no sound coming through the actual phone when held up to my ear.  The only way to talk on the phone is to put it on speaker or plug in some headphones.  If someone could advise what setting I have messed up, I would greatly appreciate it.  This is my first Iphone, i have been a Droid user previously, so I am not sure how to correct this setting. 

Thanks you,

B

Labels (1)
0 Likes
Re: Can't hear a call unless IPhone 5 is on speaker or there are headphones in it
TomCat03
Contributor - Level 3

did you make sure your volume is turned up. I have run into a couple instances where I tried to increase the volume but for some reason the ringer volume was being turned up and not the handset. I

0 Likes
Re: Can't hear a call unless IPhone 5 is on speaker or there are headphones in it
extech

The same thing just happened to me.  Verizon had me reset with itunes but it didn't help.  Now they're sending another phone.

0 Likes
JGUT

Have you checked the silence button located above the volume buttons? I had a case on and it was hard to tell when I had it enabled. If you don't have a case make sure it doesn't show orange or just toggle the switch back and forth and you'll see on the screen whether it's on vibrate only or sound. This drove me crazy when I first got my phone and a friend told me about it.

0 Likes
extech

Yes, I did think of that. It stopped working in the middle of a call. This is my 3rd iphone so I'm familiar with them. Verizon sent a new phone and it works perfectly, although my other one worked fine for 5 weeks.

Thanks.

Bob

0 Likes
Meganlouann456

I had the exact same problem! I just got my phone today, completely brand new and it was messed up. Well turns out the screen protector it came with to cover the iphone was the problem. Also, it could have possibly be needing update. This is what i use to figure it out:

http://support.apple.com/kb/TS1630?viewlocale=en_US&locale=en_US

Hope this possibly helps for any future similar situations!

0 Likes
Willia

I had the same problem when I first got the phone but then I realized that I needed to peel/trim the original screen-protector plastic away from the speaker.  (When you buy a real screen protector specifically for your phone, it will come with the cutouts already in it, but the original factory protector goes over the whole face.)  I had already trimmed the bottom part away from the button area, but forgot to trim around the speaker at first.  Doing that made all the difference.  (And the sheet on the back also covers the camera lens and flashlight.)  Hopefully, you have figured this out already since your posting was last October, but maybe this will help other people.

0 Likes