Re: My Incredible keeps rebooting in a loop!!!
TheScientist019

I'm stuck in an infinite restart loops, so I can't access Settings, Menu, or anything.

I've tried starting in Safe Mode, as suggested, but it's not working and the phone just enters the loop. Does anyone have any advice? I'd really appreciate it.

This is ridiculous. Every update is just giving my phone more problems. This is ridiculous and I'm getting fed-up with Verizon's service.

0 Likes
verizonblankety_blank

The most recent update I've installed came out back in July and I wasn't able to get it. I don't have much personal time; I am very VERY busy and couldn't find time to actually get the update to work...until last week.

Although the phone itself never told me why it wasn't completing the update, I poked around on some forums and found that it was due to too little memory being available on the phone itself, and the recommendation from other users around the web was to delete apps or move them to the SD card. (The update required 600Mb available but only used 5Mb.)

Did that. Then cleared cache through Safe Mode. Then changed the date in the phone to February, 2013 in order to prompt the phone to look for any outstanding updates.  (Every 90 days the phone will check to see what it missed, at least that's my understanding of this step.)

It found the update, downloaded the update, restarted to install the update, and I was in business.

Until tonight.

I want to say it was about a week ago I completed the update, and, tonight, I was explaining to my father what a Micro-SD card is, so I removed the battery on the phone, popped out the card, and showed it to him.  I then put it back in, restarted the phone, put the phone down, and continued watching TV.

Two hours later, I found the phone off!  Even after recalling that its annoying "DROOOOOIIID!!!" had interrupted our conversation when I had re-powered the phone.  So I knew something was wrong.

Then it wouldn't turn back on. I popped the battery out, replaced it, held the top button longer than usual, and finally she came back up...only to restart again after I had resumed my TV brain-drain.

This went on for about an hour; sometimes it would come all the way back up to the home screen, all my widgets and apps appearing with my background, etc., and within five minutes the phone would reset itself again. Other times, the phone would reset, get as far as the "DROOOOOIIID!!!" soundbyte, and start again from zero. 

Then I found this forum thread. I read bits and pieces and decided to try something I hadn't seen posted. It seemed like every five restarts or so, the phone would come back up completely and function normally as long as the screen didn't go to sleep (that's when the restart would occur).  So the next time that happened, I went into my Settings, Applications, Manage Applications, On SD Card, and I proceeded to move every app installed on the SD card back to the phone.

Shockingly, the phone has remained on ever since. It has been about 20 minutes.  I don't know why or how that could have solved the problem.

Maybe I should get a new SD card? Maybe I should somehow reformat the one I have?

I will say that this phone has given me a lot of grief and aggravation since the first major update that completed after I bought it. I have owned it since March, 2011 and I am not really sure I would ever want another smartphone from Verizon OR from HTC. I've also dealt with the screen freezes and other problems the other users in this thread have mentioned. Hopefully the SD card was the issue and I thought I'd tell this long story in order to possibly help someone else with this problem. Good luck, all.

(I will never buy an iPhone, though.)

0 Likes
MalikKillian
Enthusiast - Level 2

I've had at this happen to at least three HTC Incredibles that I've owned.  It's a great phone aside from the reboots but there is something inherently wrong with the design of this phone.

This should be the number to get a replacement: (866) 406-5154.

0 Likes
budone
Legend

I seriously doubt the poster has insurance on a device that the EOL came ages ago. Unless they are speaking of a newer version. But this VERY OLD post concerns the original Dinc.

0 Likes