Poor voice quality on iPhone 5
Kat0510
Enthusiast - Level 2

Has anyone else had issues with voice quality and/or poor reception on the iPhone 5?  When I make a phone call, the caller is able to hear me, but they sound synthesized and cuts in and out.  This happens even when at 5 bars.  The apple forum is full of posts about this issue but I don't see any discussions about it here.

Verizon sent me a replacement phone, but I still have the same problem.

Labels (1)
Re: Poor voice quality on iPhone 5
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Hey there Kat0510!

I am sorry that you are experiencing problems with your phone already! I know that this is not the perfect first impression we want from the phone. If I may ask, did you have this issue on any previous phone? Do you have any accessories connected like Bluetooth or headphones? If you do, is there any change? Do you close your running applications? Double tap the home button the press & hold to close. One of them may be interfering with the call. Try these and please report back.

Thanks!
MichelleG_VZW

Please follow us on Twitter @vzwsupport

0 Likes
jlllaw

Yes I am having same problems with new iPhone 5... very, very frustrating.  Three others in family (same location) have iPhone 4 with Verizon and have no problems.  I had iPhone 4 with AT&T and voice quality was perfect (data and voice coverage is better in this area with Verizon so I switched - no so happy with switch, as I use phone for business and I'm having trouble with all calls).  Problems are same regardless of location, and whether I am using wired headphones or not.

Other threads on internet seem to suggest problem is an phone (Apple) problem with the 5 on Verizon.  This desperately needs a fix.  And while they are at it, the three way calling is awful on this phone - perfect on AT&T iPhone 4... comments on web suggest this is a limitation on CDMA network versus GSM.  Wished I'd known these issues and I would have at least waited to make switch until they addressed the voice quality problems.  Verizon, any suggestions?

0 Likes
Kat0510
Enthusiast - Level 2

I have tried everything. I had an iPhone 3s with ATT for 3 years. The calls were crystal clear. The promise of an extensive 4G network lured me to Verizon and while I love the iPhone, it is ironic that I can do most anything but make clear calls. I was even sent a new phone and have the same issue. What I don't understand is Verizon's unwillingness to acknowledge this issue. The Internet is riddled with pages of comments left by unhappy Verizon users. I realize this is an iPhone issue, but if someone would just acknowledge, it would at the very least be some comfort.

Sent from my iPhone

0 Likes
Shaqk

I have had my iPhone 5 for only a week.  Listening to a call through the earpiece, the callers voice sounds robotic and is very difficult to understand.  Turning LTE / Wifie on or off makes no difference.  No difference with the phone's case on or off.  I may have to return this phone.

0 Likes
MattSwindle
Enthusiast - Level 1

Hello,

I have the same problem with my new iPhone 5. Calls cut in and out, echoing or cant hear them at all. Some calls the voice quality is worst then others.  I just recently switch back to Verizon and have been very disappointed. What can I do? Any solutions?

Thanks,

Matt

otterpop

Same problem here, really difficult to understand people on the other end.  Listening to some music on hold today, the cutting in and out and lack of fidelity was really obvious.  My boyfriend has the 4S, we both talked from different rooms on each phone.  With all other factors being equal, the difference in voice quality was dramatic

All applications are definitely turned off.

Verizon Support, please chime in on this issue!

0 Likes
otterpop

Michelle, clearly a lot of folks are having the same issue.  Does Verizon have a response?

0 Likes
iteambross
Enthusiast - Level 1

I've experienced poor voice quality in ALL of the following instances:

1) Mobile to Landline

2) Case On and Case Off

3) Using new Headphones and old iPhone 4 headphones

4) using speakerphone and bluetooth headset

Mobile to Mobile is about 50% acceptable, 50% unacceptable. I'm not sure if I've talked to ATT or Sprint mobile callers or not but will start taking a survey.

I had an iPhone 4 on ATT for 2 years with absolutely NO call quality problems. Droids and iphone 4's on Verizon are not having trouble either.

Just adding my 2 cents (hundreds of dollars actually!)

GBStuck

Like so many other user's I also switched to a Verizon iPhone 5 from an AT&T iPhone 4.  While my data was slow and unlimited on AT&T, the calls were always clear, though i had a few rare dropped calls.  I've only had my phone for about a month, but every call i have a hard time understanding the people on the other end.  Speaker, Bluetooth, headphones, normal phone mode, i have the problem in all scenarios.  Even while waiting for a conference call i have music that drifts in and out and it sounds like i'm listening to a synthesizer when i can even hear it.  Really love the LTE, really disappointed in call quality,

0 Likes