New Iphone 5 got wet, won't turn on. Anything i can do?
rojocapo
Enthusiast - Level 1

Yeah well my luck has been awefull and i got this iphone 5 not even a month ago, it got wet and won't turn on.. i have a 2 year contract with verizon.

What are my options if i want to have another Iphone 5?

didn't try on drying it yet, any tips?

I didn't pay extra for coverage, for being wet do i get an exchange ? do i have to pay full price for a new one?

Please list all my options. Thank you.

Labels (1)
0 Likes
Re: New Iphone 5 got wet, won't turn on. Anything i can do?
mdram4x4
Champion - Level 1

option 1.  buy new at full price

option 2. see option 1

0 Likes
AZSALUKI
Legend

your options are to buy a new one or try to dry it out. place it in a bag of dry rice for a couple of days. i've seen many phones come back to life doing this (especially if it was submerged for a long time). if it doesn't work after 2-3 days then take it to apple to see if they can try to fix it. also, don't check it every 6 hours. it needs to dry THOROUGHLY for a couple of days. it's a shame you can't take iphones apart, as they dry out a lot quicker with phones that you can at east take the casing off of.

0 Likes
jondal
Contributor - Level 1

All Vzw will say is full retail price but try a bowl of white rice and cover the phone with white rice for 1 hour

0 Likes
michelsen99
Contributor - Level 1

You can swap it out at the Apple store for $230. The will give you a refurbished one.

rojocapo
Enthusiast - Level 1

Thanks for the replies, just letting you know the outcome if anyone cares

i tried the rice in a sealed bag for a bout 48 hs, the phone worked but the screen didn't start up , just black, but it would receive calls text etc i hear it working.

I did go to the apple store to try to just replace the screen or what choice i had in the matter, person said once it triggers the wet spots they will not fix it and the ONLY solution was to get it replaced. So i did , it was 230$ as someone said and well a total of near 250$ with tax. Lets just say that it was the most expensive wash of clothes i ever did :/.

Well good news is that because i did not get an extended warranty from either Verizon or apple, i thought that they would charge me full retail for a new one. So even 250$ is allot, it definitely beats the 750$ price, you will have to surrender the phone you got wet no chance of keeping it for resell or something

0 Likes
rojocapo
Enthusiast - Level 1

BTW i did take the phone apart to dry, it really isn't that hard, 2 little screws in the bottom, get like a suction cup and pop it open, didn't really open anything else but just to have it a little so it would dry faster

0 Likes