New text messages getting morphed with old ones?
mstallard
Enthusiast - Level 2

Is anyone else having this very strange problem.  Of course, Verizon has no idea why it happens or how to correct it.  I am sending text messages to my husband, also a verizon phone on the same account.  He receives part of my new text morphed together with a very old text message (at least several weeks old that has been long deleted from both of our phones).  This results in a message that makes no sense when he receives it.  It might take a couple of sentences from the new one and mix with a couple of sentences of the old one; or it might take a few words of each and make one incomprehensible sentence from both messages. It is getting very annoying and frustrating. Sometimes part of the message makes sense, so he thinks I'm saying something totally different from what I actually sent - not remembering it was a very old message from long ago.  Other times, it's just a garbled mess, making no sense.

Verizon "worked" with us for weeks on this.  They asked us to save all morphed messages so they could go in and look at what was happening.  We saved these messages for weeks, only to have Verizon tell us that they had no idea what was happening - why these deleted messages are reappearing mixed in the middle of new messages, creating strange nonsense messages. They told us the way to correct the problem was to delete all text messages from both phones, and delete each other from our contacts and then re-add each other in our phones as contacts from scratch.  This seemed to fix the problem for a few weeks, but now it is happening again.

I'd really like to be able to correct this issue and not have to continuously delete each other from our phones and re-add.  It's very frustrating and annoying.

Labels (1)
0 Likes
Re: New text messages getting morphed with old ones?
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

mstallard! That definitely fits the bill for a very strange, and I agree, confusing issue for the receiving party! One thing I noticed that sometimes can occur is that your draft messages will load automatically if you go back to the same thread. This may be a contributing factor in all of this. Deleting your Draft folder, and if needed, the full thread with that person, will clear the issue if it arises.

If you have any additional questions, please do not hesitate to reach out to us. Thank you mstallard, we look forward to hearing from you. Take care!

NicandroN_VZW

Follow us on Twitter @vzwsupport

0 Likes
Jacquil03

I have been having the same issue as well, with my boyfriend, on the same account.  We both have Droid Bionics.  I do not have any draft messages. This started a few weeks ago, and was rare. But it has happened at least 3 times in the past week. Another problem we had was we wouldnt receive messages we sent each other, but the online bill would show that the messages had been received. Tech Support's advice was to delete the contact in the phone and re-add it. That seemed to help for that issue.  Mostly though, the problem is on my end, and I mean that I am the one receiving the morphed message.

Good luck! I hope we find a solution soon!

0 Likes
mstallard
Enthusiast - Level 2

Thanks for the response.  I haven't heard from anyone else.  Seems this must be more common than just us!  Deleting the contacts does help for a while, but it comes back later.  Verizon told me we might have to completely wipe the phone clean and redo everything.  Not the answer I wanted to hear.  They suggested I was using a third-party text messaging app, which I am not.  I'm using Verizon only.

Oh, well.   Hopefully, it won't become a worse problem.  Guess we'll just keep deleting and re-adding each other until it gets too bad. 

Date: Fri, 21 Dec 2012 08:34:21 -0700

To: <Email address removed for privacy>

Subject: Re: New text messages getting morphed with old ones? - Re: New text messages getting morphed with old ones?

Re: New text messages getting morphed with old ones? created by Jacquil03 in Android - View the full discussion

I have been having the same issue as well, with my boyfriend, on the same account.  We both have Droid Bionics.  I do not have any draft messages. This started a few weeks ago, and was rare. But it has happened at least 3 times in the past week. Another problem we had was we wouldnt receive messages we sent each other, but the online bill would show that the messages had been received. Tech Support's advice was to delete the contact in the phone and re-add it. That seemed to help for that issue.  Mostly though, the problem is on my end, and I mean that I am the one receiving the morphed message.

Good luck! I hope we find a solution soon!

Reply to this message by replying to this email -or- go to the message on Verizon Wireless Community

Start a new discussion in Android by email or at Verizon Wireless Community

© 2011 Verizon Wireless

Verizon Wireless | One Verizon Way | Mail Code: 180WVB | Basking Ridge, NJ 07920

We respect your privacy. Please review our privacy policy for more information.

Not interested in these emails anymore, or want to change how often they come? Update your email preferences.

Message was edited by: Verizon Moderator

0 Likes
KnightlyScribe
Enthusiast - Level 2

What kind of  phone do you have and how old is it?  It sounds like you need to have Verizon release and reset your phone's ip address because I'm almost positive that the problem is that V's sms server is messing up. So I don't think it's your phone at all.  But, if Verizon uses a dynamic ip address, then it is one of the other identifiers, such as imei and/or iccid..

0 Likes
mstallard
Enthusiast - Level 2

I just read your reply - 4 months later. lol  I had given up on this subject and was searching for another issue and came back to this thread.

My husband and I have Droid 4's that we got in August of 2012.  I am going to ask Verizon about your IP address suggestion.  They said it was in their server, not my phone.  I asked how it would send old, deleted messages that are no longer in our phones and they said they were still on their server, even though they no longer existed on our phones.  I apppreciate your advice.  Next time this happens - yes, it is still happening, but not as much since the recent update (other issues now) - I will tell them your suggestion.

Thank you!

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Hi mstallard. I'm glad the frequency of these strange messages have slowed down since the update, but I'd like to make sure they stop. It looks like we had suggested resetting the device but you were hesitant about doing that. Have you tried that option since this has been going on for a while? Since reloading the contact seems to temporarily help, the reset http://vz.to/xKJYz6 would be the next best step to ensure whatever corruption is causing this is flushed out.

Please keep us posted.

Thank you
JenniferH_VZW

Please follow us on Twitter @vzwsupport

0 Likes
rionmgirl

My niece and I are having this same problem but yet everyone at Verizon says they have never heard of it?

It has been going on for almost a year, we both have new phones, even changed (per Verizon) the phone number on one phone, It stops for a while and then returns.  Very annoying! 

0 Likes
rionmgirl

This has been going on with my niece and I for almost a year now.  Nobody has come up with a solution that works.

We both have new phones from when it first started and we changed the phone number on phone that was sending the garbled messages.  I am totally annoyed with my service and Verizon in general at this point.  How do I get in touch with a tech support supervisor?

0 Likes
dana0825

I am having the same issue and have been for several months.  I have no drafts saved, I delete the threads everyday, so there should be no reason it is sending messages from months ago that are no longer on my device.  I have reset the device once, and that did not work.  I have a Samsung Galaxy S3 that I purchased in November of 2012 so it is certainly not very old.  I keep up with all of the software updates.  It does seem to stop after installing new android software.  Hopefully there will be another update soon so that the problem can subside for awhile.   It seems as though I'm the one sending the garbled texts, not receiving them.  The same is happening with my brother, also on Verizon, but with an iphone 5 that he got in January of 2013.  I'm not sure of his deleting habits, but it still shouldn't be happening.   My thought is that the issue truly is on Verizon's end not the phone; maybe their servers are a little overflowed?  Not sure. . . if anyone has found a way to solve this let me know, but I've tried everything Verizon suggested above.

0 Likes