Re: No real LTE on Iphone 5
Longtimecustomer1368

Does NFC work across two different manufacturers? for example if I have a Razr HD Maxx from VZW and my girlfriend has a Galaxy S3 from US Cellular can we transfer data? 

0 Likes
21stNow
Master - Level 1

Yes NFC will work across manufacturers, but not across operating systems (so I've heard).  I have an HTC One X and several Samsung Android phones with NFC capabilities.  I can send some things through NFC to the HTC phones.  However, Samsung has SBeam, which will transfer more than Android Beam will (photos and videos, for example).  SBeam will only work between certain Samsung phones.

This information is as of now, and could change in the near future.

0 Likes
Tidbits
Legend

S-Beam uses wifi direct protocol with the NFC to start the connection. No other manufacturer does this so that high speed function will not work.

0 Likes
marcodif
Enthusiast - Level 3

Sorry, but you are INCORRECT!  I have a Verizon Galaxy S3 and with WiFi OFF, I can talk on the phone and surf the web.  It's 3G phones that cannot.

0 Likes
marcodif
Enthusiast - Level 3

The what does this really say about Apple and it's touting how great their phones are.  I have a Galaxy S3 and can, and do, talk and surf on a regular basis.  I always assumed that this was a function of 4G LTE for all phones, but know I know its a function of the manufacturers hardware.  I made the right choice in Samsung!

0 Likes
AZSALUKI
Legend

closhedbb wrote:

Galaxy S3 has NFC, near field communication, which enables those transfers.  It's like a lower powered bluetooth which only works in very close proximity for things like file transfers or any other kind of information/data exchange. correct. iphones do not have NFC (technology that has been available for 2 years).

Also, no one on Verizon has ever been able to call and surf data at the same time unless you are on wifi. incorrect. i could call and use data on only LTE with my thunderbolt, as far back as a year and a half ago. some LTE phones can, and some can't. my Note II can do it as well.

i'm not a fan of iphones but i think they are a good choice for many people. the fact is though, that they trail in technology to the higher end androids. NFC has been a function of nearly all androids for almost 2 years. i don't know why iphones don't have the capability? also, i'm not real familiar with how LTE works, but I believe the if the radio software is split in to 2 components (the 3g part and the LTE/4g part) then that is when phones can use voice and data simultaneously. the voice is over the 3g radio and the data is over the LTE radio. when LTE was new, only a few of the devices could do this, but i'm pretty sure most (if not all) can do this now. i certainly believe iphone can, but i could be wrong.

0 Likes
AZSALUKI
Legend

DOH!!!! i just saw how old this thread is. why was it even brought back up???? lol!!!!

0 Likes
21stNow
Master - Level 1

The iPhone 5 on VZW can't do simultaneous voice and data over cellular, because there is only one cellular radio in the phone.  That one cellular radio handles LTE and CDMA, but not concurrently.  The VZW iPhone 5 is the only LTE phone that I know of that doesn't do simultaneous voice and data.  I guess that all CDMA versions would fall into the same category, as well.

0 Likes
AZSALUKI
Legend

unreal. i guess i knew that at some point (looking back through the history of this thread). that's definitely on apple then, i suppose. i was pretty sure a couple of the first LTE androids couldn't either, but i may be wrong, and besides, they are a year+ old (the Charge maybe? or bionic?)

0 Likes
tikibar1
Community Leader
Community Leader

Don't slam my Bionic, dude!     Yep, the Bionic does simultaneous voice/data.