New software - Jelly Bean / 4.2 upgrade for RAZR MAXX (XT912)...
gkzgstuart
Enthusiast - Level 2

Does anyone know (or have an insider Smiley Happy who knows) when they'll release 4.2/Jelly Bean for the RAZR MAXX?  Now that they've announced it for the MAXX HD, seems like it should would be very soon...

I'm thinking about going to the dark side (switch to  iPhone 5), but have heard good things about Jelly Bean  and would like to give it a try before making the decision.

Labels (2)
0 Likes
Re: New software - Jelly Bean / 4.2 upgrade for RAZR MAXX (XT912)...
rcschnoor
Legend

I am kind of anxious for this, too, as I have been holding off upgrading until it has been released for either the Maxx HD or GSIII. I have tried the new Google Now on other Jelly Bean phones and have been quite impressed with it and will probably not get an upgrade until the phone I want has it installed already.

I refuse to be one of those people who purchase a phone on the promise of what a phone MIGHT get in the future and then complain about how Verizon PROMISED me something when in fact THEY DID NOT!

0 Likes
OTR_Tourist
Enthusiast - Level 2

The only thing I have heard on an available date is sometime before 2013 ....I assume Motorola is still "testing" the new update before releasing it to Verizon, OR Verizon is just making us wait for it. As for the iPhone...I know several people who own them, and as with any phone there are mixed reviews, some wouldn't have anything but the iPhone, and others hate it for various reasons. Myself I've always like Motorola's phones, but the new GS3 has been getting some really good reviews, and people I know who have it absolutely love it. I keep checking my Razr Maxx for the new system update and am disappointed to see it says "Your phone is up tp date".....well 30 days to go before 2013 arrives, so hopefully we will see it very soon.

nanohead
Enthusiast - Level 1

Honestly, the difference between Android 4.1x/4.2 (jellybean) and 4.1 (ice cream sandwich) is nominal.  There are almost no visible differences, and folks make such a big deal about how long the updates take, its somewhat bizarre.  The existing software works fine for most people.  I have jellybean 4.12 on my Xoom, and there are minute operational differences, but nothing anyone would ever really notice in day to day operations.

Its weird, people get crazy more and more that they're not getting some android update.  Its the manufacturer thats the issue, not Google or Verizon.  But having lived through numerous android updates in the past 3 years, I have a hard time telling the difference in most cases, other than the dopey lock screen that eliminated the "Slider" cuz the apple jerks sued and won over something that had almost no relevance on the planet

No one should expect earth shattering differences in any android update, as they will likely not be any for a while, if ever.  There are too many dependencies in all the different hardware components required to make these "smartphones" fully functional.

0 Likes
gkzgstuart
Enthusiast - Level 2

What about Google Now?  Offline maps?  Improved battery performance?

chipjonz
Contributor - Level 1

Can we really get "improved battery performance" on a Razr Maxx?

0 Likes
AZSALUKI
Legend

i think i'm just going to go for the note II. i know it's ginormous, but i also know i will walk out of the store with jellybean (and that s pen is REALLY fun!!!)

0 Likes
itino72
Enthusiast - Level 2

The update was announced for rollout this week. Some have already reported getting it. It will be pushed out in fazes

0 Likes
gkzgstuart
Enthusiast - Level 2

Announced for the Razr MAXX (versus the Razr MAXX HD - which I've seen)?  I keep checking daily - nothing so far...hopefully soon.

Thanks!

0 Likes
Ann154
Community Leader
Community Leader

The only update announced recently was for the HD series of the DROID Razr HD and DROID Razr Maxx HD. I believe the Jelly Bean update for the earlier versions (DROID Razr and DROID Razr Maxx) are still a work in progress and planned for later (early 2013?).

I'm most definitely NOT a VZW employee. If a post answered your question, please mark it as the answer.

0 Likes