Unlocking a iPhone 4 for use in Australia
alongmuir

Hi there,

I'm just asking for an official reply on the ability to unlock a iPhone 4 for use in Australia for a non Verizon customer.

I have seen a number of good deals on eBay for Verizon locked iPhones with no bad ESN however I live in Australia and therefore do not plan on using the phone with Verizon.

I have looked through the support forums here and have seen that Verizon will unlock phones but this seems to only be under certain conditions covered here for customers who are travelling internationally. If the phone was only going to be used overseas and never connected back to Verizon would it be possible to have it unlocked or are the conditions above the only times under which an unlock will be provided?

Regards,

Alan.

Labels (1)
0 Likes
Re: Unlocking a iPhone 4 for use in Australia
rcschnoor
Legend

First of all, the iPhone 4 on Verizon does not use a SIM, so it can't be unlocked in that sense. To do that, you will need at least an iPhone 4S.

Otherwise, before Verizon will unlock a phone, it needs to be on an active Verizon acct, and that acct needs to have been active for at least 90 days.

0 Likes
alongmuir

Thanks for the quick answer.

Therefore if I picked up a iPhone 4S I would basically need to organise with the seller to unlock it before the sale was made after which it could be used?

0 Likes
rcschnoor
Legend

Yes, that should work.

0 Likes
alongmuir

Thanks for your help!

0 Likes