Re: phone storage space is getting low
Ann154
Community Leader
Community Leader

tripmom516 wrote:

My phone keeps saying storage space is low or can't accept incoming text messages due to need to delete files. I purchased a 8 gb sd card to try and avoid this. My phone shows I have 7.0GB available space on card and 18.6 MB of internal space. What should I do?

Your 18.6 MB of internal space is why you keep getting a low space message. You should try and keep it at 30 MB or more. Have you deleted any unneeded applications (excluding the pre-installed ones)? Cleared application cache? Cleared out your email (not gmail) trash folder? Backed your SMS messages and then cleared the data to your Dialer Storage app? Steps for completing each of these questions have been answered before and can be located through a search of this community.

I'm most definitely NOT a VZW employee. If a post answered your question, please mark it as the answer.

0 Likes
JohnB_VZW
Verizon Employee

Thank you all for your replies. I really appreciate the time you take to help out in the forums.

@tripmom516,

I can definitely understand how this can get frustrating. I researched this issue and found it has been reported by other Vortex users. The best way to prevent this from recurring is to remove applications that you do not use and change the configurations of the applications to not running in the background when they are not needed.

Have you tried deleting the apps you don't use or saving them to you SD card? Also, Ann154 provided some great suggestions. Have you tried any of them yet? 

Please post back if you continue to see this low storage message after trying the suggestions provided by me and other members of the forum in this thread.

0 Likes
ref_

hi folks,

just to share my experience with this, and pose a question at the end related to final and obvious solution for my case.

So we get countless of notifications on updates, and most of the time, i will look but skip

Today, i decided to apply an update to one the the apps

Poof, after completion, i get the error and notification that incoming messages will be rejected, which i certainly do not want to happen

So the obvious solution would be to undo the change, but i did not realise i could do that i.e uninstall the update

So i started looking which apps i could uninstall

Selected one, error remains, restarted the phone, error persists

Then i realised i did not check whether that app was already on the SD

So i selected another app installed on the phone itself

Error remains, restarted the phone, error persists

Concerned about missing messages, i quickly delete several unwanted messages, blindly thinking it would make space for the next few incoming messages

Error remains, restarted the phone, error persists

Then I realise messages occupy relatively little space, and if even a single message could not be accepted, the phone would probably crash already

So, it must be case of some threshold in place, i.e messages not accepted once free space goes below 10%

And that space could be allocated to apps, like Messaging, in extents, and the 15 or so messages I deleted would not free up an entire extent

So, in the end, I give up.  I did not want to uninstall that app, but it seemed I that was the next thing to do.

Then, I discover I could uninstall updates, and proceeded to do that.

The issue is that it uninstalls ALL updates to the core app, so it would be nice if it could only revert to the previous version.

How could that be done?

Cheers

SM

0 Likes
SammyQ2

I was having the same problem.  Last night I downloaded the app Storage Analyser (not Analyzer). It showed that I had a huge backup file that I was able to delete.  Low storage notification went away, all is well.

Droid Razr Maxx - not rooted.

Sam

0 Likes
raggidydi

So how did you download the app Storage Analyser if your phone had low storage & wouldn't let you download anything?? That's what mine is doing.  It wont let me add anything to clear the problem!!!!  Is there an app that I can use to clear the unimportant info??? & if so, how do I clear enough space to download it????

Message was edited by: >Personal info removed<

0 Likes
raggidydi

Every time I clear anything that I think isn't important, my phone doesn't work properly, like my ringtones & notices change & aren't available.  How do I learn what ones to clear???

0 Likes
Ann154
Community Leader
Community Leader

raggidydi wrote:

Every time I clear anything that I think isn't important, my phone doesn't work properly, like my ringtones & notices change & aren't available.  How do I learn what ones to clear???

That sounds like you are clearing the data for the application. You should clear the CACHE only.

I'm most definitely NOT a VZW employee. If a post answered your question, please mark it as the answer.

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

raggidydi, receiving this message is definitely frustrating especially when you're not able to download anything else. Have you tried any of the above steps and suggestions for stopping the error from appearing? Clearing the cache, removing apps your no longer using, and adjusting the app configurations to not run in the background when you're not using them? Please keep us posted.

KinquanaH_VZW

0 Likes
garyVestal
Contributor - Level 1

I think you should clear your browser cache, data,

Do you facebook Apps installed on your device? Launch the Application Manager, Tap Facebook, > App info,-> to clear cache, clear data

If you can run the facebook, run it, Press Menu button for settings, You should find a option to delete Facebook cache files.

0 Likes