have a kin twom and found out that although only about a year old, Verizon no longer supports.
msrae

Is this true?  Can I get a replacement?  Why wasn't I notified about the support being pulled for a phone that is fairly new???????  Would take any other phone actually as long as I don't need a data plan.  Don't care about op sys, etc...  Just need to replace a broken phone and wanted to use this one, but now that its not supported, I can't for example transfer contacts (I have HUNDREDS!) or download any apps...  What is Verizon doing about this for Kin users???

<Moved from to for more exposure.>

Message was edited by: Verizon Moderator

0 Likes
Re: have a kin twom and found out that although only about a year old, Verizon no longer supports.
SydneyK
Master - Level 3

If it comes down to needing a replacement, a customer service rep can tell you at that time if it's available. Though the Kin devices are no longer sold online, Verizon may still have stock set aside for replacements.

As you probably know, this was the only feature phone with Wi-Fi sold by Verizon. When the Kin devices didn't sell well as smartphones, they were rereleased with modified software to get rid of overstock. If having no data plan plus Wi-Fi is important to you and you can't get a Kin through Verizon, you may want to look on eBay or other sites too for replacement KinM devices.

As far as being supported, the KinM devices never worked with Backup Assistant, but a rep can transfer your contacts in a corporate Verizon store. And when the KinM was rereleased as a feature phone, the Kin Studio, syncing services and other apps were never available on the M models.

So, to answer your last question, what is Verizon doing for Kin users ... it's the same as any other phone in the fast-paced world of technology ... Verizon will replace it as long as there's stock left on the shelves. Good luck.

0 Likes
Re: have a kin twom and found out that although only about a year old, Verizon no longer supports.
ntropy99
Enthusiast - Level 2

Best course of action is to just buy a replacement.  My daughter recently and accidentally broke her phone, a Kin 2m.  We took it to Verizon who told us they couldn't help.  We bought a used phone for $50 on ebay.  If you already are set up for the 2m, then setting up the new one should be a snap.

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Thank you all for your responses. I appreciate you all helping out.

@msrae,

As sydneyK mentioned, the backup assistant application is not available on the Kin TwoM. But if you need to transfer the contacts to this device you can take to a Verizon Wireless store and they can transfer them for you.

In regards to replacing your device, if it is still under warranty and we are unable to resolve the issue with the device it can be replaced with a Certified Like-New replacement of the same model.

In order for us to discuss replacement options we first need to access your account. If you need further assistance you can send me a direct message and I'll be happy to help. Please include your name and mobile number.

I hope this is helpful.

JohnB_VZW

Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport

0 Likes
VZWisterrible

msrae: I had the same problem as you. I have a kin twom and within a year (still under warranty) the screen crapped out. Called verizon, went in to two different stores and they all said we won't do anything. They told me the phone isn't their problem since it's made by Sharp. They didn't have any replacements and tried selling me basic flip phones instead. When I asked for help they just tried selling me worse off phones! not helpful. One service guy I called suggested I ship it to a Sharp repair facility and have them repair it. Sharp was helpful and fixed it fast and free.

Every phone has minor problems: camera issues, a button not working all the time-- but when the screen doesn't work entirely then it's worth getting help. Verizon won't help. I suggest buying one on ebay or shipping it to sharp for them to repair it.

Verizon: stand behind your products eh?

0 Likes
MochaLady

My phone broke 1 week after my warranty expired. It never did everything that Kin/Verizon/Microsoft said it would, because Verizon decided not to continue the phone. (Which they told me 1 week after my 30 day trial!)

I can't get my contacts out of the phone. Verizon is not helpful. I'm trying to find a new Kin 2m to use until my contract expires, but they are not around. Verizon does not have any, new or used, and will not get more. If anyone has a good idea, I'd love to hear it.

0 Likes
SydneyK
Master - Level 3

When the Kin M models were rereleased, customers were able to have their contacts transferred by going to a corporate Verizon store. Now that all Kin models are discontinued, I'm not sure whether the stores still have the equipment/software to do that. I think your best bet would be to try a corporate store.

Check out eBay to buy a replacement Kin M.

HannonFam

The only way you'll find another Kin 2m is by buying one from Ebay. Verizon does not have them. At all.

To transfer your contacts, you literally must do so by hand. I've had 2, I promise you thats all you can do.

You best option aside from finding a new phone is paying around $50 to get a new one and DEFINITELY invest in a screen cover and case before handling it at all.

A little bangbang and the screen will turn off forever, or the receiver will stop working. Most likely the eternal black screen though.

Sad too, cause its without a doubt by far the best feature-phone ever made.

0 Likes