Don't install New Ice Cream Sandwich update for Droids !!!! DON'T DO IT !!!!
hyperman

Don't install New Ice Cream Sandwich update for Droids dated October 2012 !!!! DON'T DO IT !!!!  I had a perfectly GREAT Droid Bionic untill I installed the NEW IC Sandwich operating Sys Verizon sent me when I turned the phone on 3 days ago.

Now Texting is a nightmare w/ every letter needing to be corrected do to tiny unforgiving keyboard.

Vm doesn't notify me when a call is missed.

Map is 3 miles off fr present location.

Apps & Icons on main screen randomly disapear & re-apear hrs later.

Icons are always in a different spot when ever phone is turned on.

Now I have to hit multiple buttons to answer phone. Before only had to hit one key.

No responce when touching apps such as browser or gallery

settings menu is totally confusing - old menu was clear and simple.

first time I used Alarm function I couldn't turn off alarm - had to pwr down phone.

Verizon refuses to reinstall old software that was "PROBLEM FREE".

Clearly this new software wasn't debuged B4 they released it.

Going to Apple!

0 Likes
Re: Don't install New Ice Cream Sandwich update for Droids !!!! DON'T DO IT !!!!
stef7
Master - Level 2

Before you go to an Apple device, you might want to try performing a Factory Data Reset on your device.

When these smartphones make a major jump to a new OS revision, there are often problems with bizzare behaviors, I think that may be associated with cached information, or settings overlayed on memory locations that are persistent, but haven't been initialized properly.

A FDR might fix things. However, be advised, you may loose things in the process.

Another thing you might want to try. Download a program like Advanced Task Manager Free from the market. Run it and select the "Phone" tab. Move what you can to the microSD card. I think the Droid Bionic supports moving applications to the microSD card. I've seen cases where overly loaded phone memory have contributed to bizzare application and UI behavior. Try running that first. Power down phone. If possible, pull battery. Wait 4 or 5 minutes. Re-install battery and boot back up. Consider a FDR after that if it doesn't work.

That is what I would do.

Re: Don't install New Ice Cream Sandwich update for Droids !!!! DON'T DO IT !!!!
tikibar1
Community Leader
Community Leader

Yep, ICS on the Bionic is very different from having Gingerbread.  And it can be frustrating!  Some of what you've listed is part of the learning curve, i.e., learning what things were removed, moved, etc.  Some is as stef7 said and is the operating system.  I would suggest that you first clear the system cache; it will not remove any of your apps or other info., but it will remove parts of any GB code that may be left over.  Here's how to do that:

Power down phone

Hold volume up/down & power simultaneously

Use volume down to navigate to 'Recovery', use volume up to select

Should see screen with triangle and exclamation point next to an Android

Press volume up/down simultaneously

Use volume rocker to navigate to 'wipe cache' and use power button to select

Once finished, use volume rocker to navigate to 'reboot system now' and use power button to select

Keep in mind that this operating system will optimize your phone; give it up to three days after it was installed for things to settle down.  It may be slower for a while, but things should improve within a few days.

As far as the learning curve ... no one likes to read manuals or have to re-learn their phone ... it's time consuming and a hassle, particularly for folks who may have not realized that this update involved so much.  It may help, though, if you took a look at the new user guide:

https://community.verizonwireless.com/message/893011#893011

I wasn't sure about the update, didn't want some of the changes, and didn't want to re-learn my phone, but I have to admit that I do like it better with ICS.  Hopefully things will improve with yours soon.

0 Likes
TheSteakman

I'm ready to trash my Bionic as well. The battery life was always terrible, even though I kept synching off on everything, ran the dimmest screen and kept GPS, WiFi, and Bluetooth off. It's even worse now.  I always suspected I had a bum phone, but I had no point of reference and assumed the poor battery life was normal. 45 minutes after taking the phone off the charger it is down to 80% life, and all it's done is sit in my pocket. 4 hours later, after about 5 minutes of talk time, 4 text messages, and 10 minutes of checking email/web browsing, it's at 40%. Plus it randomly gets VERY warm. I hear about people streaming music and web surfing the bulk of the day and just don't get it -  I barely use any features and the phone is dead by 2:00 in the afternoon.

I'm going to try Tikibar1's suggestions as soon as it's charged back up. I hope it helps because I'm stuck with this until November 2013 and really regret not dumping it during the grace period.

0 Likes
B33
Legend

Try a Factory Reset First that Should Help.. Here is the Instructions

Factory Data Reset is a tool used to remove everything that was imported, added or installed on the device.

Keep in mind, when using this feature; everything is deleted. Nothing stored on the MicroSD or the internal phone storage will be affected unless you choose to erase it as well. To erase your data you'll need to go to the SD card & phone storage under device settings. Your information is automatically backed up to your Google account. Your information will be restored when you login with your user name and a password.

Factory Data Reset

1. From the screen of your phone, open the Applications Tray by Tapping . Or press the Menu button on the left from your screen.
  2. Tap Settings
  3. Scroll down and tap Privacy (Tip: Checking the Back up my data and Automatic restore to preserve personal data)
  4. Tap Factory Data Reset
  5. Tap Reset Phone

To perform an External Manual Reset of your handset to restore to factory settings, read instructions below and then perform.(Steps on Gingerbread 2.3)

1. Power off the phone, press and hold the Volume up and Volume down button, then press the Power button simultaneously while powering up the unit.
  2. Screen will come up with "Fastboot" at the top of the screen, press Volume down key to cycle through choices until you get "Android Recovery", then press Volume up keyto boot in this mode
  3. Wait for the "triangle ! / Android" screen then go on to step 4
  4. Press both Volume up and Volume down key simultaneously. A Recovery Menu will come up
  5. Tap on Volume down key until "wipe data/factory reset" is highlighted, and tapPowerbutton. Another Confirmation screen will come. Tap on Volume down key until coming to Yes and tap Powerbutton
  6. After userdata is cleared, the "reboot system now" option will be highlighted by Default. Tap Powerbutton
  7. Phone will reboot to initial setup screen.

(Steps on Ice Cream Sandwich 4.0)

Note: It is highly recommended you use the above factory reset using the settings. If you are unable to navigate through the menu to perform a factory data reset, you can follow the steps outlined below:

1. Power up the phone by pressing the VOL UP + VOLDOWN KEY together + POWER KEY .
  2. The device will enumerate with different BOOTOPTIONS
  3. Use the VOL DOWN Key to SCROLL and VOL UP Key to SELECT
  4. Select Recovery
  5. The device will start up with Motorola logo and power up to a little Android man logo with Exclamation mark
  6. Press the VOL UP and VOL DOWN Key together at this screen
  7. The device will display BLUE Text on a Black background .
  8. Use the VOL DOWN Key to scroll DOWN and the POWER Key to SELECT the option desired .
  9. In this case , press the VOL DOWN key till the Wipe data / factory reset is selected and press the POWER key to confirm the selection .
  10. Use the VOL DOWN key again to select YES - delete all user data and press thePOWER key to CONFIRM .
  11. The device will then start performing the Factory Data Reset
  12. Once the Formatting is complete , press the POWER key to confirm a REBOOT
  13. The message rebooting is displayed on the phone.
  14. The device will reboot and start the normal power up sequence .
0 Likes
tikibar1
Community Leader
Community Leader

TheSteakman wrote:

I'm ready to trash my Bionic as well. The battery life was always terrible, even though I kept synching off on everything, ran the dimmest screen and kept GPS, WiFi, and Bluetooth off. It's even worse now.  I always suspected I had a bum phone, but I had no point of reference and assumed the poor battery life was normal. 45 minutes after taking the phone off the charger it is down to 80% life, and all it's done is sit in my pocket. 4 hours later, after about 5 minutes of talk time, 4 text messages, and 10 minutes of checking email/web browsing, it's at 40%. Plus it randomly gets VERY warm. I hear about people streaming music and web surfing the bulk of the day and just don't get it -  I barely use any features and the phone is dead by 2:00 in the afternoon.

I'm going to try Tikibar1's suggestions as soon as it's charged back up. I hope it helps because I'm stuck with this until November 2013 and really regret not dumping it during the grace period.

I would suspect a bad battery that's been that way from the get-go and not the phone or ICS.  It's something to consider, anyway.  For what it's worth, like you, I keep GPS, bluetooth, wifi off until needed and with normal use (no streaming) can easily go two or three days without charging.  Once ICS was installed, I had to charge the battery every day the first few days, but now that the phone is optimized, battery life is getting better.  I'd tweak the phone settings a bit, try clearing the phone cache, and then wait a few days for things to settle down a bit.  Then, if all else fails, do the FDR.  Good luck!

0 Likes
nomomot
Enthusiast - Level 2

No. I liked it the way it was. I don't want to climb the learning curve. I don't like the new colors.. I don't like the fonts. I don't like the transparencies. I don't need or want to relearn how  to answer a phone when it rings.  I completely DESPISE the new keyboards. The idea it cannot be returned to the previous version is a lie.  The just dont want any GB still on their network.

I have a hammer.

I know how to use it.

I have the finanacial resources to use it and get something else that is not Mot.

Motorola can kiss it.  All of it.  I am pissed this got forced on me.  FORCED.  No choice.

Jakeman1
Master - Level 1

On your battery life that was always Terrible. Are you in a 4G area? Is your Wifi always ON? Is your Blue Tooth Always On? These are just some basic questions for you to see why the Battery is short.

One thing on the ICS Battery Life. It is very true that the first week Battery life will be much shorter on the Bionic with ICS (Actually all phones). There are multiple reasons for this the first being Human Curiosity. We have a new OS and want to see what has changed, and try to get things back to how they were. In effect we are spending 2-3 times the amount of time playing with our phone and settings that yes, it will make the battery life seem much shorter.

Next we have the phone itself trying to learn which apps you use and which apps you do NOT use so it can adjust and only turn on those that you use (very important to NOT use a task killer as they will actually shorten battery life as well). The phone to learn your patterns of usage will take about a week as well.

Now, one of the beautiful things about ICS is you can disable apps from starting and or running so go through and disable the apps you never use as these apps will call home daily for data or other information and to see if there are any updates (uses a lot of Battery life)

You will want to disable apps like these (if you do NOT use them)

Amazon Kindle

Amazon MP3

Backup Assistant (any version)

V Cast Apps

Facebook (unless you use it)

Google Play Books

Google Play Movies

Google Play Music

Google +

MOG Music

My Verizon Mobile

Netflix

NFL Mobile

QuickOffice

Slacker Radio

Slingbox

Smart Actions (this app does nothing to help you save battery and actually uses more battery as it is another app to automate doing things on the phone so while you are not doing the thing on the phone, the app is so battery is always running harder then it should)

Swype

Verizon Video

VZ Navigator

B33 also has a Battery Guide that is very helpful

Now if you really want to get the best usage with Minimum Bloat you will work on Apps that use Data. Apps that use Data also use Battery as the battery is drained trying to sync all of that Data.

Download Onavo Count from Google Play (it is free). Run it for a few days and see what apps are using Data (that have not already been disabled). Go into the Apps section and look at each app using Data. If it is one of the core systems, leave it alone (com.Motorola anything). Onavo give you the option of having these apps only use data when it is connected to Wifi (saves the data usage as well as battery). Leave apps like Email, Gmail, Facebook (if you use it), Weather (if you use it) as is. Change others.

Then last but not least, do a Phone Cache Wipe.

Your phone should be running at peak now and battery should last well over a day.

0 Likes
B33
Legend

Thanks Jake and i tell Ya i like what i see here keep up the good Info and work. b33Smiley Happy

0 Likes
stef7
Master - Level 2

Jake, helpful stuff, even for people like myself without a Bionic (Spectrum).

Qn: you asserted some features in ICS which will allow one to disable apps. I have not been able to locate this in any Menu Setting. Would you elaborate? Were you saying set some data limit (like 0) or something? I don't see that functionality on the stock 4.0.4 build for the Spectrum.

Excuse what might be a nieve question.

S.

0 Likes