Nexus 4 on Verizon?
korin43
Enthusiast - Level 2

The Nexus 4 was just announced without 4G LTE, so I'm wondering if it will still work on Verizon? Are there any plans to add it to the Verizon store (presumably free-with-contract)? I want a phone that doesn't have manufacturer/carrier crapware, and I want updates when they come out, not when the manufacturer gets around to it and Verizon finally approves it (Android 4.1 is still coming "real soon now", right?).

So can I use the Nexus 4 on Verizon?

Labels (1)
0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Nexus 4 on Verizon?
Ann154
Community Leader
Community Leader

Nope. That phone doesn't have the necessary radios to even get voice calls to work.

I'm most definitely NOT a VZW employee. If a post answered your question, please mark it as the answer.

View solution in original post

0 Likes
Ann154
Community Leader
Community Leader

Nope. That phone doesn't have the necessary radios to even get voice calls to work.

I'm most definitely NOT a VZW employee. If a post answered your question, please mark it as the answer.

0 Likes
Ann154
Community Leader
Community Leader

Also you can get Jelly Bean (Android 4.1.1) on the Galaxy Nexus.

0 Likes
korin43
Enthusiast - Level 2

I don't really see the point of buying a Galaxy Nexus right after it was made obsolete (especially since they cost exactly the same).

0 Likes
Tidbits
Legend

vzw-tempname-b481b699-ec84-401a-97f1-cdecda00364c wrote:

I don't really see the point of buying a Galaxy Nexus right after it was made obsolete (especially since they cost exactly the same).

It's not obsolete...  They will not be the same price for long...

korin43
Enthusiast - Level 2

I was curious and looked at the prices -- the Galaxy Nexus actually costs $150 *more* right now (for the 16 GB model, the 8 GB model of the Nexus 4 is $200 cheaper).

0 Likes
Tidbits
Legend

Actually the Nexus 4 costs more.  The only reason why it appears cheaper is because Google subsidizes it right out of the box.  Won't go into detail as various places including this forum has explained it more than a handful of times.

If you want the Nexus 4 you will have to pick a GSM carrier.  Sprint or Verizon do not have GSM backbone and uses CDMA.

0 Likes
korin43
Enthusiast - Level 2

Tidbits wrote:

Actually the Nexus 4 costs more.  The only reason why it appears cheaper is because Google subsidizes it right out of the box.

So you're saying it's just my imagination that Google sells the Nexus 4 (16 GB) for $350 and Verizon sells the Galaxy Nexus for $500? I don't care *how* Google gets the price down, the fact of the matter is that the Nexus 4 is $150 cheaper than the now-obsolete Galaxy Nexus.

0 Likes
Tidbits
Legend

It is far from obsolete. Just find yourself a GSM carrier if you want the Nexus 4. That's the only option you have.

N2TheBlu
Enthusiast - Level 2

Google made it rather clear today that they are done dealing with the outdated and Draconian policies that Verizon insists on inflicting upon its subscribers, namely bloatware, spyware, adware, trackware, crapware, as well as the resulting mega-delays in making updates to the Android OS available in a reasonable, acceptable and timely manner.

Apple was able to force Verizon's hand on the matter, but it seems Google would prefer to take the high road.  Perhaps a marked decline in subscriber numbers and a quarter or two of higher than normal churn will prompt Verizon to reconsider (but I doubt it.)