Re: Is it true you lose grandfathered Unlimited when you eventually upgrade/get new phone?
Ray_e_m

No I have had unlimited for years and have changed phones several times.

0 Likes
Re: Is it true you lose grandfathered Unlimited when you eventually upgrade/get new phone?
B33
Legend

K

0 Likes
Not applicable

Ray_e_m wrote:

No I have had unlimited for years and have changed phones several times.

Well you're in for a shock the next time you take a upgrade from Verizon then.

0 Likes
B33
Legend

Well if there still letting Happen the only way to Upgrade Now is Pay full Retail..

0 Likes
hopmedic
Contributor - Level 3

But if rumors of early 2013 ceasing of all unlimited plans pan out, you'd be pretty upset if you paid full price to keep it only to have it canceled a few months later...  Also, not sure if true or not, but I've seen in print more than one place that getting an LTE device will end the unlimited whether you pay full price or not.

0 Likes
tikibar1
Community Leader
Community Leader

hopmedic wrote:

I've seen in print more than one place that getting an LTE device will end the unlimited whether you pay full price or not.

From Verizon's web page (I added the bold):

I'm a current Verizon customer with a 3G phone, but I need faster data downloads. Do I have to go to the new Share EverythingSM Plan if I upgrade to a 4G phone?

No, you aren’t required to switch to the Share Everything Plan, even when upgrading your device.

However, if you currently have an unlimited data plan, you won’t be able to keep it if you upgrade at a discounted price. You can choose from a plan with a standalone data package or the Share Everything Plan. If keeping unlimited data is important to you, you have the option to pay full retail price for a new phone.

http://support.verizonwireless.com/clc/faqs/Calling%20Plans/share_everything.html

0 Likes
OutlawFirebird1
Enthusiast - Level 3

you can buy a 4g lte phone with out having to get a new plan, but you have to pay full price.  when you go into a 4g area your phone should connect to the 4g, I believe you can turn 4g off and on, we dont have 4g yet, suppose to get it soon, but a town a little ways away does, and when you go there with your 4g lte phone, it will connect to the 4g sevice.  thats what I have been told.  but yeah eventually you will probablly have to get a new plan, im sure they will force everyone on to there shared data eventually.  for right now i think i'm going to buy the htch 8x at full price.i have been saving a little for it.

0 Likes
Not applicable

hopmedic wrote:

But if rumors of early 2013 ceasing of all unlimited plans pan out, you'd be pretty upset if you paid full price to keep it only to have it canceled a few months later...  Also, not sure if true or not, but I've seen in print more than one place that getting an LTE device will end the unlimited whether you pay full price or not.

A) I doubt if happens before July 2014 but who knows.

B) That's the risk you take. Verizon never promised that you get to keep unlimited forever if you pay full price. The fact they took away the ability to upgrade should be a HUGE clue as to what they intend to do with unlimited and do it sooner rather than later. Personally I wouldn't pay full price on a phone after December. Too much of a risk you'll spent a lot of extra money for just a little more time on unlimited.

For example say you pay $600 for a GSIII instead of $230( $200 + $30 upgrade fee ) Ok That's $370 difference. Over 18 months that's over $20 month. IF you get 18 months more of unlimited. Well you could just take the upgrade and bump up to the 5 GB plan for $20 more. Comes out to be the same. How may people actually use more than 5 GB?

0 Likes