Verizon's government employee discount inferior to AT&T's
mentsmin

I just switched to Verizon from AT&T and am quite disappointed to discover that Verizon's state government employee discount applies ONLY to the "account monthly access charges" and not to any line charge.  Of course, with Verizon's new "share everything" plans, much of the monthly costs have been shifted to this line charge.  In comparison, AT&T offers the same discount off the entire bill.

It's nice to receive a discount for being a state employee; however, potential Verizon customers should be aware that they will not receive the same discount from Verizon that they might have been receiving from AT&T or another cellular provider.  

Labels (1)
0 Likes
Re: Verizon's government employee discount inferior to AT&T's
mdram4x4
Champion - Level 1

1. the discount is whatever the state negotiated with verizon

2. did you look into it before you switched? its spelled out on the website

0 Likes
mentsmin

1.  That may be.  My point is--however the discount was determined or "negotiated"--a better discount exists with AT&T.  I work for the State of Texas, by the way.

2.  I did look into it.  I did not see any indication that the discount applied only to access charges and not line charges.  But feel free to link to any page on the website saying otherwise, it would certainly be helpful to anyone who comes across this discussion and is looking for additional information. 

0 Likes
mentsmin

I went looking for the original discount email, and would like to note that mdram4x4 is correct.  Here is the text of that notification:

" Up to 25% off the monthly access fee on qualifying voice plans of $34.99 or higher"

Being unfamiliar with Verizon's pricing structure, it probably did not occur to me at the time that "monthly access fee" applied to only a portion of the overall wireless bill.  Something for those considering Verizon to keep in mind. 

I will say that the quality of data service (the reason I switched from AT&T to begin with) is better, though I'm really comparing apples to oranges (a 3G AT&T iPhone 4S with a LTE Verizon iPhone 5).

0 Likes
mdram4x4
Champion - Level 1

it was a much better discount uner the old pricing structure where the main line was much more then the 9.99 added line

0 Likes
Not applicable

mdram4x4 wrote:

it was a much better discount uner the old pricing structure where the main line was much more then the 9.99 added line

Depends. For us the discount would be the exact same.

0 Likes