Re: Verizon Jetpack hotspot minute usage going through the roof, but I'm not doing anything differently.
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Hello Travelers2,

I definitely don't want you or your family to leave the VZW Family! We absolutely want to find out more as to why there's an increase in your data.

I know you mentioned all was well for some time and then all of a sudden it shot up. Has anyone recommended changing the network key on your device, just in case?

You can do so by following these steps: http://support.verizonwireless.com/clc/devices/knowledge_base.html?id=40685 more specifically step 9.

When I'm not actively using my jetpack I ensure I don't leave any browsers open, I only allow updates to my computer and antivirus when I say it's ok, and I turn the device off at night.

You stated nothing has really changed, are the games you're playing different? Is it a new computer?

Keep me posted!

Thanks,

MelissaM_VZW
Follow us on Twitter @vzwsupport

0 Likes
Re: Verizon Jetpack hotspot minute usage going through the roof, but I'm not doing anything differently.
sodone
Enthusiast - Level 2

once again Verizon is showing how intelligent their employees are by allowing someone who is probably a sweet person, yet obviously unqualified to deal with the issue at hand. each time verizon responds with an answer of irrelevant information or redundant, it only drags the time out, it has you thinking they are seriously looking into the issue, and ultimately their hope is you grow tired of the nonsense and get on with your life. Meanwhile, I am sure they are jumping thru hoops trying to figure out how they are going to fix this with soooooo many customers, before they get slammed by the courts. You see people, Filing a report with the FCC is the best way to deal with them. They will not ever be able to tell you why after doing just fine on 3GB a month for some time, all at once you use 15 GB a month, having several times upped your data plan at their recommendation, And them Not telling you that you wont be able to get your old plan back. The FCC has an online page where you can file a report of fraudulent charges. They will handle Verizon. It may take them a while, as they will need a computer geek as good as the one Verizon has in order to show the data usage charges are being logged while there is no data device turned on and no wifi  capable device turned on or having access to the mifi,

I encourage all of you to file your report with FCC. Corporate Giants getting away with crime. Im not an activist, just someone so very fed up. With Verizon. I have been arguing with them for 2 years now, a customer since before they were verizon. I have 3 lines coming out from under contract in January, they will be shut off. The remaining line will have the bare bones and then suspended untill it is out of contract. Why pay for a phone and not use it? because there is no way for them to throw in fraudulent charges of bogus usage if the line is in suspended status.No I am not cash flush, far from it, it will be hard for me to afford double  service. But I will not be paying for them to pad their ceo bonuses. And I wont have to waste so much time every month trying to get them to understand that once again they have screwed my bill up.

Good luck to all you

0 Likes
Re: Re: Verizon Jetpack hotspot minute usage going through the roof, but I'm not doing anything differently.
Counselor2002
Enthusiast - Level 3

Thank you. Many people are having this problem and nothing is being done to correct the problem. I may have to file with FCC. M

Sent from my iPad

<< Personal information removed to comply with >>

"Be the Change You Want to See on the World" Gandhi

<< Message was edited by: Verizon Moderator >>

0 Likes
Not applicable

Listen geniuses. If you leave your mi-fi on all night you are going to have data usage. You PC does updates and even if not, then there is ALWAYS some usage. I have cable internet and if I leave my computer on 24/7 and NEVER use it I will still end up using 5 GB a month. Your PC is always going to try to ping to the outside every once in a while. While each ping is small in of itself, it does this quite often. Also like I said I suspect you have something set to auto update on your PC at night.

Instead of immediately blaming Verizon and saying stuff like fraud. why not looking in the mirror and admit that maybe it's YOU causing the issue. But know you can never do wrong. even though I can tell most of you are not very computer literate. That's not an insult just factual. Yet somehow you can tell what's using your data. I wonder how many of you don't even have security on your mi-fi or have the password left as the default password and never changed it or have some easy to guess password?

By the way get REAL internet. 4G isn't meant to replace DSL or cable internet. And if you don't have access to that and you are using less than 5 GB a month anyway just use dial-up.

0 Likes
sodone
Enthusiast - Level 2

words from the wise? apparently you are not reading the messages, maybe too many words for you, not insulting just factual. With no device turned on including the mifi device, data is being logged. Also pinging will never create 5gb worth of usage, and I am sure most of these ppl have changed their default wps key, also by checking the network they can see that no other device is on their network. Perhaps you dont need the internet at all and since you dont have a problem with verizons data logging methods why are you reading these forums? Bored? no life?Or do you work for verizon? because your response is about as lame as verizons. Never assume these ppl are less intelligent than yourself.

0 Likes
dhandler

Somewhat related to our situation and this is what we learned from Verizon today but first a little background. We are fulltime RVer's so our MIFI is an important part of our arsenal for accessing the Internet, especially whenever we're parked somewhere that an RV park's wi-fi is sketchy or none existent. We have a 5GB plan that we rarely come close to going over.

Back to the present: We received an email alert telling us that we had reached 75% of our 5GB. From that point on until our next billing cycle, the MIFI was turned off. Imagine our surprise that when our next bill came do we were charged for an additional 3GB! (in reality the overage was 2.4 but Verizon bills on the smallest amount over and rounds it to the next highest GB). So with our MIFI turned off we somehow managed to use our remaining 25% plus another 2.4 GB. Pretty impressive.

Called Verizon and spoke with two reps. This is what we were told. First, due to Verizon "software updates" timely emails warning of usage were either delayed or not sent at all. That we had received a 90% usage warning on (date excluded). So if Verizon was experiencing problems with timely email alerts, why should we be penalized? And how could we possibly have used so much data in so short of a time? The first rep then offered to refund half so we asked to speak to another rep.

The second rep said we had only received an email with a 75% usage warning on the same date that the first rep said we had received the 90% warning (we have no record of ever having received a 90% warning, BTW). In any event, we had still turned off the MIFI regardless. So why/how could we have uses so much data in so short of a time?

The second rep said that we should never trust the email alerts - that the emails are not an accurate real time reflection of usage...that the emails are sent only as a courtesy. ????

The second rep said that we should log into our account to check real usage so I guess that's something we'll have to rely on if we have any hope to know where our data usage stands during a given billing cycle. That still did not explain how so much data could be used in so short of a time...

Understand that when we have major software updates on our computers that we will use a public library, or an RV park's Ethernet (when available). We don't download movies, we don't subscribe to NetFlix, etc. Our data usage is mainly emails, checking FB, or news on a web site.

So the bottom line is don't believe the email usage alerts that Verizon sends out because they have little to do with actual usage. Such emails create a false sense of security and frankly, work to Verizon's advantage by creating (not preventing) data overage charges. Either Verizon fixes the lag email lag times or they must stop offering the service. To continue to offer the email alert  service in its present form is fraudulent.

0 Likes
Boysie

Last month I suppllied a MIFI unit to one of my rental hoses for them to use, with the proviso that they stay below 3 Gig, and i would roll it in with my data package of 6 gig. Well shortly after, I got alerts warning me i was going way over my limit, and i could purchase extra data retro, and avoid the overage fees. the system syted that i would need about 16 gig to cover everything.

I upgraded to 16 gig, abused my tenant for watching movies, and cancelled the Mifi operation.

When i got the bill, it showed that the unit had only uses 0.2 gig, in spite of all the warnings to the contrary.

When i called verizon on this, they refunded the difference between the 16 gig package and my original 6 gig, said something about "problems". Now I have to apoligize to my tenant for calling him a liar when he told me he was not over abusing the unit.

I also have a personal Mifi, and I have now gotten messages saying I have used over 5 megs, half way through the billing period when i have never exceeded 2 before. I checked my data usage, and found that 80% of my usage ocurrred at about 2:00pm each day in amounts of 0.3 to 0.5 gig per ocurrence. Nobody is home at that time, my computer is set to ask for updates, and what would suck up 1/2 gig anyway. This time I will not panic and upgrade my package, which is what verizon wants you to do BUT if you do, check your final bill, you may find you never used anything like the amount the alerts said.

There is obviously something buggy about the usage computer. I will be turning off my computer, and every data user between 9;00 am and 5:pm in future. what a rediculous scenario.

0 Likes
evdotech
Contributor - Level 1

you might want to get a router to keep track of usage, example a Peplink Balance 20 keep track of your data by month, day, week, or live see where your usage is going see what computers are doing what..

you can get the gear at 3gstore 6zc674.jpg

0 Likes
jeffrey0707
Enthusiast - Level 1

So what your saying is I have Togo to verizon  and tell them bout my data usage?  I get my alerts on my iPad. I'm 5 days in my cycle and  nd 50% of my data this month and 10gb last month! I use my iPad for emails Facebook nd browsing the web. No way I should use 10gb in a month. If I have my bill paid online what should I do? Do you need to turn it off at nite?

0 Likes
jeffrey0707
Enthusiast - Level 1

I need some help o this too... Should I go to a verizon rep? >Hyperlink removed<  here is my bill history!! I just got the hotspot last month and my bill is 180. 50 of the is due to switch over! I've been waiting for a response for 2 day!! Some help would be a help. I email the contact us pages 2 twice!,

Message was edited by: Verizon Moderator

0 Likes