Am I being charged for international texting?
glorialepko

This past week, I have been texting to Guatemala [central america].  I have read that international texting is not free, so I checked my account online, and it does not show any extra charges on my line for texting. Am I being charged for these texts? Is Guatemala an exception? Will the charges show up later?

Somebody please help me out!

Thanks!

Labels (1)
0 Likes
Re: Am I being charged for international texting?
StreetDocRN
Champion - Level 1

Hi,

Welcome to the forums.  To answer your question, yes you will be charged for international texting.  A way around this would be to use instant messaging such as Yahoo Messenger.  Instant messaging is not part of your texting plan, so you will need to have a data plan for sending instant messaging.  If you do a lot of messaging back and forth to other countries, then the price of a data plan might be worth it.  Just thought I would give a  tip.

Doc

0 Likes
Re: Am I being charged for international texting?
SuzyQ
Community Leader
Community Leader

StreetDocRN wrote:

....Instant messaging is not part of your texting plan, so you will need to have a data plan for sending instant messaging. 

Slight correction  - if you have a texting plan, a bundle or unlimited, and Mobile IM, the IM's are considered text messages, and you DON'T NEED A DATA PLAN.  The only data involved is to download the Mobile IM application initially.  It came pre-installed on my phone, and I have unlimited texting on my plan, (Family Select, NO DATA) and there is no charge for using Mobile IM to text - this would be an excellent way to text internationally and avoid texting charges.  You can use Yahoo Messenger, AOL Messenger, or Windows Live Messenger.

0 Likes