Backup Assistant
rcrose

Do you have to have a data plan to use Backup Assistant on a basic phone? My son eats phones and it's a hassle to go to the Verizon store to transfer contacts onto another phone.

Labels (1)
0 Likes
Re: Backup Assistant
mlsmls

According to advice I've received in this thread:

https://community.verizonwireless.com/message/883053#883053

it's theoretically possible, however, it does not seem to work with my particular no-data plan.  '

You might be able to try the steps they suggested to me and see if it will work with your plan.

0 Likes
linot6

They were able to upload mine from the 611 Tech Center on more then one occasion. Also if you have the correct USB connection you can hook it up to your desk, or lap top and download them from the web site.

0 Likes
mlsmls

FYI - USB transfer ability may vary by phone. 

I can't transfer to/from Samsung Gusto 2 via - Windows does not show it as a drive.

0 Likes
tikibar1
Community Leader
Community Leader

rcrose wrote:

Do you have to have a data plan to use Backup Assistant on a basic phone? My son eats phones and it's a hassle to go to the Verizon store to transfer contacts onto another phone.

You do not have to have a data plan to use Backup Assistant, although it does use data to download the app to the phone.  Download the app, then put a data block on the phone.  If you already have a data block on the phone, remove it, download the app, then put the block back on the phone.  Syncs between the phone and Backup Assistant won't need a data plan.  More info. can be found here:

http://support.verizonwireless.com/faqs/Get%20It%20Now/faq_backupassistant.html

0 Likes
rcrose

Thanks tikibar1. What you posted worked. My next concern is that I won't be charged for the data it must use to sync. I checked on my account under my son's phone and it shows data was used.

0 Likes
tikibar1
Community Leader
Community Leader

You will be charged for the data it used to download the app, but Verizon should credit you back that charge (unless things have changed recently, and I don't think that's the case).  You WILL NOT be charged data for the syncing; Backup Assistant is a free service.  If for some reason on your bill you actually do get charged for the syncs, dispute it with Verizon 'cause it'll be in error.

0 Likes
mlsmls

Glad to hear it worked for somebody.  Too bad not for me....

0 Likes