can I put my card on a t-mobile galaxy s3?
aztheroth

Here's the thing. I have unlimited data plan and if I renew my contract I will lose it. so a friend of mine offers me a samsung galaxy s3 that is unlucked and I want to confirm it would work with just removing my card from my thunderbolt and put it on the galaxy s3. Is it possible?

any advice will be very appreciated it.

Labels (1)
0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: can I put my card on a t-mobile galaxy s3?
Ann154
Community Leader
Community Leader

A T-Mobile Galaxy S3 GSM phone is incompatible with the CDMA network used by Verizon Wireless.

Even if it could work, the SIM card from the Thunderbolt won't fit in a Galaxy S3. The Galaxy S3 uses a micro SIM card vs a standard size SIM card in the Thunderbolt.

I'm most definitely NOT a VZW employee. If a post answered your question, please mark it as the answer.

View solution in original post

0 Likes
Nyobie_B
Contributor - Level 1

I don't think it will work even if you get the phone unlocked.  If I'm not mistaken, the 4G Data technology has frequency allocated to different carriers.  I think the voice feature on the phone might work but data wouldn't.  Maybe someone here knows for sure.

0 Likes
Ann154
Community Leader
Community Leader

A T-Mobile Galaxy S3 GSM phone is incompatible with the CDMA network used by Verizon Wireless.

Even if it could work, the SIM card from the Thunderbolt won't fit in a Galaxy S3. The Galaxy S3 uses a micro SIM card vs a standard size SIM card in the Thunderbolt.

I'm most definitely NOT a VZW employee. If a post answered your question, please mark it as the answer.

0 Likes
Nyobie_B
Contributor - Level 1

Activation of a phone only requires a SIM card in the phone which you want to activate.  You wouldn't need to swap SIM cards in this case.  The only time you might want to swap SIM cards would be if you had 2 active phones under the same contract and you wanted to swap phones without doing anything other than powering off the phone.

In the case of activating an unused phone, the unused phone would be activated using it's own SIM or a new SIM if the phone doesn't have a SIM - everything is done through the network's software.  You can go to the VZ Store to have this done, or you can activate a phone yourself by following the instructions in the VZ Site which you can find under My Verizon, Active or Switch Device.

0 Likes
aztheroth

ok, so... if I get it unlocked and I go to a verizon store to get the micro SIM card and activate it... will it work normally that way? I mean, calls, message, data and everything? and most important thing, without losing unlimited data.

0 Likes
Ann154
Community Leader
Community Leader

A t-Mobile Phone is still incompatible with Verizon Wireless. It won't work at all.

0 Likes
budone
Legend

It will not work, technology differences.... GSM vz CDMA. Dont do the switch, you will have a nice pretty paperweight

0 Likes
21stNow
Master - Level 1

Unlocked GSM phones only work on other GSM networks.  In the US, your choices are T-Mobile, AT&T and their MVNOs.  With Verizon Wireless voice, text messages and 3G data go over the CDMA network.  This means that a GSM phone (such as your friend's Samsung Galaxy S III) will not be able to make calls or send text messages on Verizon Wireless.

vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Hello aztheroth,

What a great friend! The Samsung Galaxy III and the HTC Thunderbolt have different sim cards. Your Thunderbolt takes a standard sim, while the Galaxy takes a micro sim. You are able to go to one of our Corporate locations and have the sim card replaced and the Galaxy activated. The good news is that you are able to retain your Unlimited data because you are bringing your own device. To find the nearest Corporate location, please click on this link: http://bit.ly/3SdsA

Thank you,

Katrinan_vzw

Please follow us on Twitter at @vzwsupport

0 Likes
Ann154
Community Leader
Community Leader

That will NOT work for a Samsung Galaxy S3 that is a T-Mobile branded device!

0 Likes