Re: Verizon Workshps for iPhone 5
rall_g4
Contributor - Level 3

Here's the original release. April 12 2012

On April 22, Verizon Wireless is implementing a $30 upgrade fee for existing customers purchasing new mobile equipment at a discounted price with a two-year contract. This fee will help us continue to provide customers with the level of service and support they have come to expect which includes Wireless Workshops, online educational tools, and consultations with experts who provide advice and guidance on devices that are more sophisticated than ever.

While the upgrade fee is not unique to Verizon Wireless, most devices can be traded in with our green friendly trade-in program at www.verizonwireless.com/tradein as a way to save money or potentially offset the fee completely.

0 Likes
21stNow
Master - Level 1

I'll post the link to the press release which contains the statement that rall_g4 is quoting.

http://news.verizonwireless.com/news/2012/04/bl2012-04-11.html

If I ever pay the upgrade fee to VZW (highly unlikely), I will attend every class that is remotely related to my device.  I still won't let a rep set-up my device, as I prefer to do that myself.  But I will ask the experts plenty of questions.

kaebfly
Champion - Level 3

This is my first time seeing THIS particular info, but...that would be my own fault for not looking at the news section in relation to this. At any rate, I would think that VZW could technically get away with the fact that it was never specific (they never specified what types of Wireless workshops and online education tools...such as specifying that workshops would be provided for EVERY device. There are classes being offered...they just may not be for the devices that some customers have). Not to say that makes it ok...but wording is key. I did learn something else from this though...my understanding was that the fee was being charged to all existing customers but apparently, it's only being charged to those that upgrade with contract. I'm surprised no one has mentioned that as one of the reasons they are upset about this fee. I paid full retail but I just assumed that the fee would be on my next bill....

0 Likes
21stNow
Master - Level 1

I'm sure that the wording gives VZW an out.  I, as a consumer, would feel that if I have to pay the fee, VZW should offer classes for my device.  If they are only going to offer classes for the DROID RAZR MAXX (for example), then only charge owners of those devices an upgrade fee, not owners of another device that there are no classes for.

I haven't gotten a subsidized device from VZW since I resumed service with them.  I have other situations with other carriers where if I pay full price for the device, I don't pay the upgrade fee, and would hope that VZW would do the same. 

0 Likes
admin_moderator

@jethrock-Verizon Employees are clearly stated on their Profiles/User Names. "Authorized Verizon Employees are distinguished by the Rank of "Employee" and/or an official Verizon logo as an Avatar."

0 Likes
worthmentioning2u

you can either go in store or go online and view the same material.

0 Likes