Re: Wrong number on activation new iphone 5
brennan1998

Adam,

Thank you for your knowledge regarding this process.  There was only one other post on all these forums that reiterated what you said.  I do find it very discouraging that no CS reps I spoke with over the last 2 days (at least 6-7) knew this process.  It is rediculus that we were all told to do exactly the opposite of what we needed to do when swiping lines - do swaps BEFORE ever activating the iPhone 5.

Tomorrow morning I will be at the 24 hour period since my iPhone 5/SIM have been deactivated and in your described Available and Deactivated stage.  Hopefully we will be able to do the line swap as predicted tomorrow.

Thank you again for your help.

Jason

0 Likes
Re: Wrong number on activation new iphone 5
talexson
Enthusiast - Level 1

I thought I would share my story here since this information would have helped me earlier…This thread was the first one to come up for me as it was the same exact situation that I was experiencing.  No disrespect to Adam@Xerox but I think you misinterpreted the whole issue he was having. 

I ordered my iPhone 5 using my father-in-laws upgrade.  He is on a totally separate account from me.  I ordered through the apple website using all of his information and had the device shipped to my work.

My iPhone 5 arrived this afternoon.  Before even turning on the device, I logged directly into My Verizon Wireless and went to "Activate/Switch Device".  I was prompted to enter the IMEI for the device, which I did.  Next I was prompted with the SIM page where it either allowed me to order a new sim or enter the numbers from the SIM I had.  I popped the SIM tray and entered the numbers.  I hit next and was prompted to choose my data plan.  I kept unlimited data and proceeded to verify all my account/plan info.  I was then congratulated on successfully activating my iPhone 5.

The above steps were seemingly what the Verizon rep did for stevenweber1

So I don't think "the guy really messed this one up"

I then turned the phone on and was greeted with the iPhone setup menu.  I chose my country, selected a language and then chose to activate via cellular.  I was then presented with a screen just like Steven that asked me to verify my number.  Except it was my father-in-law's number.  That is when I searched and landed here, still left baffled that I would have to go into a waiting period and every other misinformed statement you can imagine.  I called my local verizon store and was told to wait until after midnight and the system would push the info…blah blah

I thought about all of this and thought it just couldn't be right.  I figured the worst that could happen would be me having to reactivate the father-in-laws old phone if I somehow took over his account.

SO….I went ahead.  After the screen where it asks you if you to verify the phone number, click activate or next.  You are verifying the line that you "upgraded".  It will then ask for billing zip and social.  Also use the information for the line you upgraded.  You are then presented with a new 2 year agreement and you must agree (this is for the line you upgraded).  After you accept.  TA DA your phone will now be active ON YOUR LINE! It then seemingly pulls the information from verizon and activates the SIM to your line.

Adam@Xerox - I think where you went wrong is he stated that he hadn't turned on the phone yet so the sim was never active.  I found your back and forth with "rara" to be distracting and belittling all the while, you were wrong.  I think the point of this place is to help people. Not call them brick walls.

There you have it.  No waiting 24 hours or going store to store finding new SIMs.  If you call or go online first you are all set. You are all welcome.