Re: HTC Rezound 4G connectivity issues
DzNts
Enthusiast - Level 2

At least there's still hope for ICS, look what popped up again:

HTC Rezound™ Software Upgrade Instructions | 06.20.2012

This software update (Software Number: 3.14.605.10 710RD; Baseband Version:1.22.10.0421r, 1.22.10.0424r) is now available for your HTC Rezound. It will update your device to the Ice Cream Sandwich Operating System (OS) and provide several enhancements, fixes and features, including:

Applications & Widgets

• V CAST Media Manager has been updated to Backup Assistant Plus with an enhanced user experience.
  • Caller Name ID application has been updated and added to All Apps.
  • Time zone issues have been resolved within the Clock widget.

Device Features

• Device is enabled with the Wireless Alerting System.
  • Cisco AnyConnect support has been added to improve VPN functionality.
  • Improved data connectivity for a better user experience.
  • Improve device stability minimizes the number of resets.
  • Improvements to Mobile Hotspot connectivity.

Email, Messaging & Web

• Improvements to default mail application now displays all Yahoo! mail contents properly

Before you proceed, please confirm that this software upgrade to 3.14.605.10 710RD is a newer version than what is currently loaded on your device.  If it is the same version, there is no need to reload the software.  Navigate to the Home screen then tap Menu > Settings > About phone > Software Information and locate the Software number.WARNING: During the upgrade process the device will reboot multiple times and show software upgrade screens.  Do not remove the battery as this will stop the update and your device may be rendered inoperable!Getting StartedBefore you proceed with the update, make sure you have done the following:

• Your device is currently running Software number 2.01.605.11.
  • Set aside approximately 70 minutes to allow the device to update.
  • Connect the device to a charger.
  • Ensure the battery is charged to at least 30%.

http://www.htc.com/us/support/htc-rezound-verizon/software-updates

Looks like they pulled it again ... sigh. Message was edited by: DzNts

0 Likes
shc32

Had the flaky 4G, but would usually resolve in the afternoon.  Last Friday, it went out completely, wouldn't come back except when I wanted to use the "My Verizon" app, but then would quickly go away after I exited the app.

Tried a soft reboot, pulled the SIM, etc.  Talked with Verizon tech services, they had me factory reset the phone, then told me to get a new SIM.

Went & got the new SIM, had 4G no issues for a day, but have since returned to flaky 4G.  Was thinking it was app conflicts or a flaky phone, but after reading this, there must be a larger issue.

Hopefully they'll roll out this ICS update for the Rezound and the issues will be resolved, or they're gonna catch hell about this.

0 Likes
cdchurch
Enthusiast - Level 3

I'm having the same exact issue with my Thunderbolt.  Verizon swapped it out last week, still have same issue.  4G LTE indicator goes away, but doesn't fall back to 3G, just no connectivity at all.  Then comes back.  If I go through the settings phone number thing (*#*#4626*#*# I think), and set it to just 3G, it behaves much better, but then text messages give me some errors.  Started maybe 3 weeks ago.  They definitely changed something.  I was thinking/hoping it was an app I downloaded, but don't think so now.

Chuck

0 Likes
Sanj

I had 4G issues a few days after the ICS update from vzw.  I was stuck on 3G only.  It turns out that my phone was somehow changed to CDMA only (Settings -> About phone -> Network -> Mobile network type).

It was not obvious how to fix it, turns out you have to turn off the Mobile network (Settings -> Mobile network) then turn it back on and you will see s new window with an option for Network mode that lets you choose between LTE/CDMA and CDMA only.  You may have to turn it on one more time to actually turn it on.

This resolved my 4G issues (so far at least, just did this last night).

Hope this helps some of you resolve your issues too.

Cheers!

Sanj

0 Likes
bpod

I've also had 4G connectivity issues since the Rezound 2.01.605.12 update that was pushed to my device yesterday afternoon (this update is in prep for the ICS upgrade).  *Immediately* after this update, I was no longer able to connect to *any* mobile data network, even in normally reliable areas like my office; wi-fi was unaffected.

I checked the Mobile network settings and it was still set to LTE/CDMA, but I toggled to CDMA only to see if that would help get me any kind of connection at all (it didn't). The update push automatically power-cycled my phone, but I did another manual power-off and startup (no change).  Then I decided to do a full power-cycle shutdown by removing the battery entirely.  Happily, this seemed to clear up whatever issues it was having, as I once again have 4G connectivity in my office.

Naturally, you shouldn't remove your battery *during* an update, but if your 4G is stuck like mine, it's another diagnostic test to try.

b

0 Likes
joecool888

Same issue here.  I've experienced it both in Miami and San Francisco.  My sense is that in areas where 4G is weak, the phone loses signal, and then tries to log into 3G, but the weak 4G signal prevents it.  Int hose situations switching to CDMA only (3G) is a workaround, better than nothing.

This could be both a hardware and software issue.  HTCs are apparently notorious for poor antennas, and the software should be able to handle switching from 4G to 3G seamlessly.

0 Likes
briles24

Actually, you don't have to toggle it off and then on: it's just a long press that is required in order to get the window to pop-up. But yes, not obvious it all. It looks like just a toggle switch rather than something with a drop-down menu. Kind of bad designing if you ask me.

0 Likes